1955 Dodge Short/low Box 1/2T

I'm going to be starting a project a a truck I just obtained.  I think these are relatively uncommon vehicles.  Will post pictures soon of what I'm starting with, but can give a few details here. 

VIN  82370051

Model C-1-B6-108

Truck was originall a flathead six.  It has what I think is a 1964 Plymouth V8 318 Wide block Poly engine in it.  Are those engines worth preserving?  At any rate, one of the other cars that I obtained had a 1954 Chrysler 331 Hemi engine, and my plan is to put that engine in the pickup truck.  Any comments are of interest to me.  I did notice the 55 Dodge pickup that sold at BJ recently, and this pickup has the sexier bed because it is the low one.  Fairly rare, I never really have seen one of these around. 

Yup, seen a few around. That box does appear to be an earlier year, as the top edge of the sides are on an angle, the 55s and later are straight edged. the box i have is from a 52, rear fenders 56, but I got a fargo tailgate, now those are mighty less plentiful than dodge stamped tailgates.

Nice truck BTW,  love the 55.56 trucks..

Yes, I'm here in the Tri-Cities near Richland.  Truck has been here many years, perhaps all its years.  Any help I can get with info about this specific truck is appreciated.  Is the box from an earlier year or would it be something that they used also in 55.  I think this truck is perhaps a late 54 early 55 based on serial number.  How rare are these things really?  I see lots of Chevys and Fords from this era, but not many Dodges. 

Scarce, they made a fraction of the amount of Dodges that were made of Ford or Chevy. The only 55s harder to find are Studebaker and GMC (most current buyers switch the Chevy grills and tailgates). But you see more drug out of barns, sheds and fields/woods every day. Ford and Chevy prices are through the stratosphere, so Dodge is becoming the current "cheap project" craze. 39-71 Dodge prices are starting to climb, new stock replacement and new custom parts are hitting the market weekly. Doesn't help when they sell for stupid money on Barret-Jackson or Fast and Loud (Gas Monkey Garage rolling abortions).

Couldn't tell you on the bed, I prefer the look/utility of the high sides.

Edited by Scruffy49

That bed and rear fenders were an option in 1954-55 so they are most likely original.

Here is a link to a factory picture of one from the brochure.

http://www.autolit.net/Graphics/0512/ws2299c.jpg

Your model number breaks down as:

C1 = 1954 to mid year 1955 production

B = 1/2 ton

6 = 6 cyl engine. In this case a 218ci 23 inch long flat head six

108 = 108 inch wheel base

Looking at your pictures the main thing that jumps out as a later addition is the badge on the front fender. That looks like a 1961-68 Dodge badge, but it is hard to be sure at that angle.

Eric

Eric,

Do you mean the Dodge lettering on the front fender side?  I'm not sure, but I think it looked correct.  The Dodge letter on the front hood is held on with 3 screwws and appears damaged.

I'm largely a Hudson guy, but have several Mopars.  And I'm trying to finish complete resto on a 1967 Olds Toronado -- a fantastic car.

1960 Dodge Dart Seneca 4dr (Grandfather's only new car, and essentially untouched from new).  

1946 Dodge 3W Business Coupe

1942 Desoto Custom Club Coupe

1940 Plymouth P9 Roadking Business Coupe

This Dodge pickup came to me in another deal where I acquired 2 Hudsons.  The Hudson pickup had a 54 Chrysler Hemi in it, and I want to put that in the Dodge.

Tim 

Yes I meant the Dodge lettering on the side. That should say "Job Rated"

CHeck out this picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carphotosbyrichard/4687494241/

This truck has the wrong Dodge badge on the front and the headlight details look wrong, but the badge on the sides of the fender is correct.

The truck in this picture has the correct Dodge badge and headlight/parking light treatments:

http://www.collectorcarads.com/Picture1/craigslist6.jpg

I hope that helps.

Eric