Beach Racing Was Fantastic

Robin (UK)

Just got home, safe and sound, from a 500 mile round trip, a day's racing on the beach at Pendine Sands and an absolutely amazing weekend.

It was fantastic to be part of such an historic event - the first ever Amateur Hot Rod Races on the beach where world land speed records were set in the 1920s.

We had a half-mile run up, with a timed sixteenth of a mile.

It felt very strange driving on the sand at speed and it took a couple of runs to build up the courage to drive hard.

My best run clocked 74.50 mph, beating some of the Ford V8 flathead-powered hot rods.

I was very pleased.

And as my Plymouth was the only full-bodied car running a flathead 6, I also set a class record (V6F/K).

Here are just a few pictures...

post-25-0-57186700-1378661751_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-91593900-1378661764_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-52954400-1378661786_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-52716000-1378661919_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-54347100-1378661981_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-98382400-1378662015_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Congratulations and Huzzah!  Good show for you and the Plymouth Flag.  My P15 acquitted itself at the vintage weekend.  Did my two laps trouble free, and took Best of Show 1950 and older.  

Did you take any precautions against the salt on the beach?  Did you get a good wash off of your under carriage? By the way that helmet is spiffy!!

74.5 great was there anyleft or did you leave it all on the beach?  What is your impression of driving on the sand, did it feel slippery, did you air down your tires?  

• Like 2

Congratulations and Huzzah!  Good show for you and the Plymouth Flag.  My P15 acquitted itself at the vintage weekend.  Did my two laps trouble free, and took Best of Show 1950 and older.  

Did you take any precautions against the salt on the beach?  Did you get a good wash off of your under carriage? By the way that helmet is spiffy!!

74.5 great was there anyleft or did you leave it all on the beach?  What is your impression of driving on the sand, did it feel slippery, did you air down your tires?  

Hi Greg,

Really pleased to hear about your Plymouth's achievements, too.

There were plans to spray the underside of the cars but the beach was hard so nothing much got thrown up.

I'm going to wash everything thoroughly today, just to remove anything that may be there.

The helmet is a vintage Clymer, from San Francisco.

Advice was to keep tire pressures high, or even slightly higher than usual. Consensus was approx 30 pounds. I run with 28 pounds on the road, so I stuck with that.

Regarding the speed... the run-up was reduced to half a mile, because of beach conditions further down. If it had been the full mile, as originally planned, i would have smashed 74.50.

As it is, I'm confident I could have got more (at least 77, possibly 80). I'll have to try again!

I changed my technique on each run and the third was the best, so I know what to do next time.

The sand did feel weird after about 50mph - kind of like aquaplaning. As if you were somehow out of contact with the surface.

After a couple of runs it wasn't so disconcerting, so my confidence increased.

A great day!

Edited by Robin (UK)

Congrats, Robin.  Thanks for the pics.  Your car looks good as a racer.   You going to leave it like

that for the Rhythm Riot?

Thanks Bob,

Those numbers will be coming off today.

I'm told that the shoe whitener starts to eat into the paint if you leave it too long!

Any news on when your 'vert will be back on the road?

Hi Greg,

Really pleased to hear about your Plymouth's achievements, too.

There were plans to spray the underside of the cars but the beach was hard so nothing much got thrown up.

I'm going to wash everything thoroughly today, just to remove anything that may be there.

The helmet is a vintage Clymer, from San Francisco.

Advice was to keep tire pressures high, or even slightly higher than usual. Consensus was approx 30 pounds. I run with 28 pounds on the road, so I stuck with that.

Regarding the speed... the run-up was reduced to half a mile, because of beach conditions further down. If it had been the full mile, as originally planned, i would have smashed 74.50.

As it is, I'm confident I could have got more (at least 77, possibly 80). I'll have to try again!

I changed my technique on each run and the third was the best, so I know what to do next time.

The sand did feel weird after about 50mph - kind of like aquaplaning. As if you were somehow out of contact with the surface.

After a couple of runs it wasn't so disconcerting, so my confidence increased.

A great day!

Good show Robin!  75mph on the sand is pretty cool.  When I ran on the sand in New Jersey, probably didn't top 50...

I was, however, able to reach 72 in a standing quarter mile in 18.5 secs, at the hamb drags!  

• Like 1

I saw Rhythm Riot and couldn't resist sharing this.  Robin was kinda enough to send me this many years ago.  

It's probably got 40-50K miles on it.  I even had a Brit flash on it recently at a local cruise.  He happened to be

visiting Disneyland and took a coupla hours away from the kids to indulge in a little SoCal Car Culture.

IMG_4011_zpsf80825a5.jpg

• Like 1

I was, however, able to reach 72 in a standing quarter mile in 18.5 secs, at the hamb drags!  

That's pretty good time for a flat 6 in the quarter. Must have driven the flathead V-8 crowd nuts.

Can't wait to get my 31 Plymouth coupe on the road so I can go out and terrify a few of the local Model A restorers.

Just got home, safe and sound, from a 500 mile round trip, a day's racing on the beach at Pendine Sands and an absolutely amazing weekend.

It was fantastic to be part of such an historic event - the first ever Amateur Hot Rod Races on the beach where world land speed records were set in the 1920s.

We had a half-mile run up, with a timed sixteenth of a mile.

It felt very strange driving on the sand at speed and it took a couple of runs to build up the courage to drive hard.

My best run clocked 74.50 mph, beating some of the Ford V8 flathead-powered hot rods.

I was very pleased.

And as my Plymouth was the only full-bodied car running a flathead 6, I also set a class record (V6F/K).

Here are just a few pictures...

Congratulations Robin,  Great Pictures   

Your colonial friends are very proud !!!

• Like 1

What great picture of you and the car Robin! Awesome!

Any special ties to the number 87? or did they give it to you......

48D

Everyone ran under their VHRA Membership Number, so we will always keep the same one.

post-25-0-48979600-1379692574_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin (UK)