That Long, Sporadic, Occasionally Embarrassing 1949 Windsor Build Thread Plymouthy Adams Expects

GlennCraven

When I asked on this site why my Dodge was a Plymouth body with Plymouth fender badges I got an informative answer from Bill the Canadian mopar expert, this is a quote taken out of context to further complicate things.

I’m thinking that if two wheel bases sizes, ………then two frames?

I think you have to lock yourself in you computer room with a do not disturb sign for 48 hours and surf until you eyes and your fingers bleed to research this, the information is out there, you just have to find it. :) 

The 1949-52 Coronets (called Custom in Canada in 1949-50) and Meadowbrook shared bodies with DeSoto and Chrysler. 

I checked one of my car manuals Glenn and they only show one chassis for 48-53 vehicles. Is it possible that we did things different here in Oz? I've attached the scans for you...

Thanks for the scans. That's super of you. I'll set about comparing these.

The reason I wonder is this DeSoto I pictured from my sightseeing tour of my region Sunday is a lot closer than the South Dakota four-door Chrysler parts car, and this car is known to be for sale. For a while. A long while. ... Whether it's the right price or its frame is any better than mine remains to be seen, but it's available.

I believe this car below is a 1949 DeSoto, same year as my Chrysler. The parking lamps were horizontal on the '46s-'48s, vertical (like this) on the '49s and round on the '50s. ... Also, I believe the two-door club coupe and four-door models used the same frames, at least across models, such as the Windsor.

But this car does strike my eye as longer than my car. And I do know there are some '49 Chryslers listed as eight-passenger models and their frame dimensions in my shop manual are slightly -- very slightly -- longer than my car.

DeSoto.jpg

When I asked on this site why my Dodge was a Plymouth body with Plymouth fender badges I got an informative answer from Bill the Canadian mopar expert, this is a quote taken out of context to further complicate things.

I’m thinking that if two wheel bases sizes, ………then two frames?

I would make a similar assumption. I'm checking all available options.

Thanks again, everybody.

I checked one of my car manuals Glenn and they only show one chassis for 48-53 vehicles. Is it possible that we did things different here in Oz? I've attached the scans for you...

Back to this note: It seems there are numerous differences between Dodge-Plymouth-DeSoto (in Australia at least) and the U.S. I do note that your book doesn't cover Chrysler, so maybe the frames were all the same on these three marques in Australia but not the States. ... Did DeSotos have 23-inch flat-six blocks in Australia instead of 25s like in the U.S.?

As noted, there are numerous differences in the measurements, some as little as a quarter-inch, but others -- like the overall length -- more like five or six inches. A lot of them have to do with body mounts and hole locations, but that would be a lot of measuring and fabricating to change. At that point I really might as well go for a custom frame or a late-model vehicle frame.

Thanks for the pages. Unless the books (and cars) in the States differ considerably, DeSoto frames are not an option, even from seemingly near-identical body styles and year.

I checked my 1950 car parts manual Glenn and it lists differences between USA and Canadian built cars. I'm more of a truck person, but I'm happy to scan and send you pages from the numerous manuals that I have gathered over the years if it helps you out. PM with your email details if you need bigger scan copies.

post-3915-0-84811300-1381903553_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-60550600-1381903562_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look like the C45 models are in that edition. Were they not sold in Canada or Australia? ... Unless I'm mistaken my car is a C45. That might be part of what's limiting my original frame search somewhat.

• 4 weeks later...

Frequenting the area auctions and swap meets has paid off by putting me in contact with a fellow who has this possible frame-donor car for sale, only about three hours from me rather than way up in South Dakota.

These are photos as he bought it somewhat recently. He's also sold the engine, transmission and seats. Says the rest is pretty much there and the frame is good, though the floors are rusty.

He'd take $600 for it as it sits, or $550 minus the rear fenders. His rear fenders look a bit better than mine, so I'd probably pay to keep the fenders. His left front fender is straighter than mine, though my car's is only wrinkled a little and should be repairable. His car also has windshield glass I (now) need and at least three trim pieces that look OK on his car and are missing or damaged on mine. Obviously I could use the best bits of his car and mine together and come out a bit ahead all-around, beyond just the frame replacement and maybe some of the other underpinnings, like springs and such.

I've emailed back to see if I can come up there this weekend or early next to see it. A week from Saturday I'll have to be in Wisconsin. Getting very close to settling on moving there, and it seems impractical to drag not just a project car, but its parts car. But that may be what happens.

post-6061-0-58044100-1383849341_thumb.jpg

post-6061-0-98144100-1383849342_thumb.jpg

post-6061-0-92811600-1383849344_thumb.jpg

Edited by GlennCraven

I've emailed back to see if I can come up there this weekend or early next to see it. A week from Saturday I'll have to be in Wisconsin.

He who hesitates (dithers) ………….! :mad: 

.................get it now! :eek: 

Even tho it's been somewhat stripped, you be surprised with the # of parts you could eventually use or just see how some parts go together correctly. Door lock, window mechanics come right to mind. Nuts, bolts, screws, etc!

Would be great to get if has the Big parts you really need! Bring cash and deal!

Good luck,

Doug

• 2 years later...

It's been more than two years since I've added to this thread. So much has happened in the interim, and yet so little on this project car.

I've moved to Wisconsin. I've gotten married to that gal who has embraced some of my old-car dreams. After eight months unemployed in 2014 -- including 16 fruitless interviews for great state jobs a hefty commute away in Madison -- I took a job part-time at an O'Reilly Auto Parts store here in Janesville. I worked a ton of hours that left no time and (at entry level wages) not enough money to do anything at all about the Windsor.

The job did leave enough time and opportunity for this to happen:

BirthdayLillie.jpg

That's Lillie Maynean Craven, both Aug. 23, 2015, here in Janesville, Wisc.; named for three grandmothers, my mother Lillie Magada (Alexander) Craven, her mother Lillie Mae (Robbins) Alexander, and my wife's great-grandmother Mary Cornelia "Maynean" Veghte.

She's not quite four months old yet, but she already has her priorities in order. Provided she isn't screamingly hungry she'll quietly watch "This Old House" with her mother, but she "Oohs" and "Aahs" at the car shows she watches with Daddy, displaying a particular fondness for the hijinks, burnouts, and in this case the Pike's Peak Hill Climb episode of "Fast N' Loud."

LillieFastNLoud.jpg

Meanwhile, working hard and paying attention has paid off at the job. I've moved up through all the available positions at my first O'Reilly store, and on Jan. 16 I'll be handed the keys to "my own" store to manage, now under construction in Stoughton, Wisc., between here and Madison.

And finally, last weekend, with my second-owner, 300,000-mile 7.3 Ford and a co-worker who manages another O'Reilly store in town, I finally made the 1,460-mile round-trip back to Kansas for the Windsor.

CarTrailer1.jpg

CarTrailer2.jpg

She might remain untouched until spring, but she now resides in the garage 60 feet from my back door, not a resting spot a day's drive away. And my job with O'Reilly's not only affords me a good discount on parts, but has introduced me to a number of potential assets in the immediate area, including a good acquaintance who formerly worked for a CART team and was a restoration shop manager for nearby Mecum Auctions, and a new hot rod shop owner striking out on his own for the first time who works wonders with metal.

With their guidance and help this weak-frame dilemma will finally be resolved, and that 360 will be able to flex its muscle without twisting the car into bits.

There might not be much else to post for the next few weeks, but I decided it was worth offering an update now that something finally has changed.

With the car, that is. Obviously LOTS of other things changed along the way.

I hope you're all well, and your various automotive adventures have been rewarding.

-- Glenn

Edited by GlennCraven
  • Like 2

Congrats on the little one! They are lots of work but its worth every second of it! Don't worry about the build thread-mine going on about 5 years now........

I must admit when I saw the car on the trailer I was a little worried this story didn't have a happy ending.

• Like 1

for a man doing the 9-5er and raising a family..do not expect a self built car to happen overnight...being retired now and with children out of the nest, trust me there is still more family related matters, home upkeep and other life events to take your time from the build...the process is meant to be a creative outlet, a project to enjoy...dead lines take that joy from you...so don't set any...but then..don't abandon it either..

• Like 2

What a great story.  You certainly have your priorities in order, beautiful daughter, together family and the reward for a job well done.  The Chrysler looks like a great car and one that you can plan projects around as you attend to life with the family. 

• Like 1

Thanks, guys. I've missed you all.

Had our first district-wide manager's meeting today with me as a participant, though we're six weeks out from store opening. One of the other managers is an old-car guy and when he saw the photos of the Windsor over lunch he jumped on the phone immediately. I ended up getting the number of a friend of his who has a Dodge Wayfarer street rod and at least one parts car of the same vintage. I don't know that there will be much I can use on a Wayfarer, but the guy sounds like a good friend to have, with an interest in Mopars of this generation.

Welcome back Glenn, and congratulations on the family expansion. I've wondered about your absence from time to time, and as I read your post yesterday morning I was preparing to go down to Janesville for a machine demo. Odd how that happens. It's good to hear things are going will with you and progress may be continuing on your car.

Merle

• Like 1

I need to meet up with you sometime, Merle! … I've been to Waukesha a couple of times, including to pick up three cheap Edelbrock carburetors off Craigslist a few months ago.

I made it to Jefferson for the swap meet one day this fall, too. The wife and baby came, too.

One of these days, Glenn... I'll be moving up to the Appleton area this winter, but you're still well within driving range for my truck.  ;) I was hoping next summer won't be as busy as this past summer, but now that I'll be getting married in June that hope is fading.  :P 

• Like 1