My Overdrive Upgrade

Young Ed

So earlier this year I found an overdrive in a junkyard see here http://p15-d24.com/topic/33354-eau-claire-picking/?hl=picking

Been gathering a few things and finding some time to swap it in. Tonight I put the car in the garage and got busy pulling the transmission. I went from this fully functional car up on jacks at 7:50

IMAG1046.jpg

To my standard trans on the bench at 8:37.

IMAG1047.jpg

• Like 2

Ed,did the guy ever get back to you on the $400 P-15 4DR?

Not a bad time, I've gotten to the point where its about a 45 minute swap from driving it in the garage till test driving the new od, if i dont stop for more than one beer....

• Like 1

I'm sure the reinstallation will take me a little longer. I still need to swap over the parking brake setup and the speedometer drive gear. Then after its in do the wiring cable etc. I have a harness but I didn't want to copy it 100% since my headlight and OD relays may not be in exactly the same spots.

I hope you realize the brake drum has a different offset....

Yup I know. The rest I believe swaps over. If not I do have all the parts that came off the OD they just require rebuilding and my standard one is freshly built.

Got my new rear seal in last night. Swapped over the parking brake setup from the original 3spd. Also got my speedometer gear swapped between the two. I think all I have left is to swap the shift arms.

IMAG1048.jpg

Hi Ed,

Interesting thread just on time. 

I scored a 1953 Savoy OD last year. During the winter I've gathered the electric stuff (solenoid, relay, kickdown sw.). Now I counted to have everything but the mech. cable & lever.

Only I've had busy summer in a good way (scored a summer cottage and a 1960 biscayne), thus had not much time with the D24 (sort of a pity, though)

Now I got to learn all the tricks by following your project.

Please tell more of the differences in the parking brake - My OD tranny came without the brake, only the shaft end flange left.

Best of luck with the project, good going so far.

Pekka

• Like 1

Hi Ed,

Interesting thread just on time. 

I scored a 1953 Savoy OD last year. During the winter I've gathered the electric stuff (solenoid, relay, kickdown sw.). Now I counted to have everything but the mech. cable & lever.

Only I've had busy summer in a good way (scored a summer cottage and a 1960 biscayne), thus had not much time with the D24 (sort of a pity, though)

Now I got to learn all the tricks by following your project.

Please tell more of the differences in the parking brake - My OD tranny came without the brake, only the shaft end flange left.

Best of luck with the project, good going so far.

Pekka

The OD handle you can use any heavy duty push pull cable. I think you may also be able to get a reproduction ford one that would work fine. Not sure what you are missing when you said cable and lever. For the parking brake from my plymouth the only part that was different was the drum and the bracket on the right side. I transfered the bracket with the springs and band still attached.

Todays update. There really isn't one. I was out there after work and again for hours after dinner. Couldn't get it to go in more than just enough to get it on my alignment dowels. Dad came over we wrestled with it more. Finally pulled it back out. Discovered a spot on top that the paint was scrapped off. Looked under and the very center bolt for the removable floor was sticking down with some messed up threads. Thought for sure we'd get it after pulling that bolt. Nope still wouldn't go any further.

Todays update. There really isn't one. I was out there after work and again for hours after dinner. Couldn't get it to go in more than just enough to get it on my alignment dowels. Dad came over we wrestled with it more. Finally pulled it back out. Discovered a spot on top that the paint was scrapped off. Looked under and the very center bolt for the removable floor was sticking down with some messed up threads. Thought for sure we'd get it after pulling that bolt. Nope still wouldn't go any further.

I had the same problem with my '40 OD until I had a friend manually turn over the engine while I pushed in the tranny. Eventually the splines lined up and in it went.

Phil

• Like 1

I'm in the midst of rebuilding my OD trans, too. Just picked up a bearing today and will begin putting it together tomorrow. You mentioned a new rear seal. I got one from George Asche, and it is just the "rubber" seal, with no felt piece like the original, (which is ruined after removing it). Does your new seal have the felt piece? How far in did you seat the new seal? Thanks for any info.

Alignment dowels? In all the transmissions I have installed in my lifetime I have never used any support dowels. I would think it would restrict up down and sideways movement that may be required to align to the pilot bushing. And did you replace your pilot bushing or measure it to insure it is right for the transmission?

I'm in the midst of rebuilding my OD trans, too. Just picked up a bearing today and will begin putting it together tomorrow. You mentioned a new rear seal. I got one from George Asche, and it is just the "rubber" seal, with no felt piece like the original, (which is ruined after removing it). Does your new seal have the felt piece? How far in did you seat the new seal? Thanks for any info.

It does not have the felt like the original I removed which was actually a replacement already. I just tapped it in until flush and figured it good. The felt is on the outside of the rubber anyway.

Alignment dowels? In all the transmissions I have installed in my lifetime I have never used any support dowels. I would think it would restrict up down and sideways movement that may be required to align to the pilot bushing. And did you replace your pilot bushing or measure it to insure it is right for the transmission?

I don't think we even got it in close enough to worry about the pilot bushing. No I did not replace or measure the pilot bushing. These are all standard mopar parts so a new pilot bushing shouldn't be required.

Its in. Floorboard got removed as did the clutch inspection cover. Put it on a jack from a different angle and it went in a lot further. After I lot of wiggling pushing prying etc I turned the trans via the driveshaft connection and it popped right in.

IMAG1053.jpg

IMAG1055.jpg

Next is rerouting the speedometer cable and doing the wiring.

Edited by Young Ed
  • Like 1

I had the same problem with my '40 OD until I had a friend manually turn over the engine while I pushed in the tranny. Eventually the splines lined up and in it went.

Phil

I always thought it was easier to just put the tranny in neutral and spin the tailshaft. Only takes one person to do this if you use long (longer than the input shaft) threaded rods in all 4 holes to use as a guide when you slide the trans forward.

• Like 1

Also will not turn input shaft if overdrive is not locked out. Don't ask me how I know this.

Edited by mayflower48
  • Like 1

Also will not turn input shaft if overdrive is not locked out. Don't ask me how I know this.

You can't push or pull the car backwards,either. If you plan on pushing it back out of your garage the rear wheels had better be on dollies or plan on pulling the driveshaft.

Edited by knuckleharley

You can't push or pull the car backwards,either. If you plan on pushing it back out of your garage the rear wheels had better be on dollies or plan on pulling the driveshaft.

You should be able to push it backwards as long as your lockout switch is in the correct position.