Napa 1080 Oil Filter

Robert Horne

I saved this Napa 1080 oil filter I took out of my 38 Coupe about 20 years ago.

Today I took it apart to see what was inside.       Looks to be several miles of

some type fiber material.      I wonder how Napa packed so much material in there.

This 1080 is over 20 years old, I wonder how they are made today.

The pan on the right is a Fram spin on I removed from my Jeep recently, not much

material in there...

post-1465-0-54264600-1377999368_thumb.jpg

Like most everthing else, when the technology became available the wound fibre element was swapped out in favor of the ubiquitous paper element in the late 50's early 60's.  I'm sure those elements were made much the same way as thread or string was wound on a bobbin.  I remember being fascinated as a kid, watching the string spinning up near the ceiling as the butcher or deli guy wrapped and tied a package of meat at the stores back them.  (Everybody under 40 go HUH???)   Always wondered who got the ladder out and changed the spool and threaded the string from way over there to the counter.