Can I Move This Oil Return Line ?

Roger the Dodger
Go to solution Solved by Don Coatney,

Can I move the oil return from filter to the plug behind the oil filler tube. The problem is I am fitting a new 12v starter and this oil line fouls it. The 12v starter is 5/8" longer than the 6v it is replacing.

Also to get the 6v out I had to remove the dip stick tube and pressure release valve plug. Very fiddly.

post-3504-0-28940600-1377928114_thumb.jpg

post-3504-0-62661900-1377928129_thumb.jpg

Can any one tell me what was fitted to this machined surface behind dip stick. It has two plugged holes. It is a 25" motor with 4 3/8 stroke. No original engine number, only one stamped by our State Police. I got the car from a deceased estate so no info.

Thanks, Roger.

post-3504-0-47847900-1377929159_thumb.jpg

Roger, as far as I know that's where the Desoto/Chrysler Full Flow Oil Filter bracketry & canister bolted onto the side of the block.........I didn't think we got those here in Oz but yours might have?.......the Oz nickname for the 25" engine is "kew", ie, they were known here as Chrysler Kew engines which is sometimes incorrectly used to refer to the 23" engine also.............main thing is not to use the "kew" term when chasing parts etc in the US as the Yanks haven't a clue what we are talking about then..........lol.......purely an Oz term..........regards, andyd

Roger, there is an Oil Gallery that runs the length of the block at this point and usually has 2-3 plugs( at least that's what the 23" engines have) with the oil pressure gauge being attached around where yours is. My 1941 Coupe with its original P11, 23" engine had been converted to 12 volts before I got it and there was no fitment issue in installing/removing the 12volt starter.......unfortunately it has been sold so I can't get a pic but I would think that you can basically swap the oil gauge sender line to one of the other gallery plugs, the main thing with the sender line is that in MUST have a flexible coupling somewhere between the oil gallery and the gauge to accommodate the engine movement..........hope this helps............lol............andyd  

Roger, there is an Oil Gallery that runs the length of the block at this point and usually has 2-3 plugs( at least that's what the 23" engines have) with the oil pressure gauge being attached around where yours is. My 1941 Coupe with its original P11, 23" engine had been converted to 12 volts before I got it and there was no fitment issue in installing/removing the 12volt starter.......unfortunately it has been sold so I can't get a pic but I would think that you can basically swap the oil gauge sender line to one of the other gallery plugs, the main thing with the sender line is that in MUST have a flexible coupling somewhere between the oil gallery and the gauge to accommodate the engine movement..........hope this helps............lol............andyd  

Thanks Andy, but it is the return line from the remote filter that I am asking about. Roger.

Roger;

It appears you have a 25" engine in your car. This engine has provisions for a full flow oil filter by installing one plug and bolting the filter assembly to the side of the block. You might want to consider that option. The filter assembly is redily available as they are also used on the hemi V-8 engines. On my engine 12 voltstarter removal is not an issue with the full flow filter.

Full-flow_filter_passages.jpg

9.jpg

ofp.jpg

Page13.jpg

Page14.jpg

• Like 2

Can I move the oil return from filter to the plug behind the oil filler tube. The problem is I am fitting a new 12v starter and this oil line fouls it. The 12v starter is 5/8" longer than the 6v it is replacing.

Also to get the 6v out I had to remove the dip stick tube and pressure release valve plug. Very fiddly.

I believe the plug that you are arrowed to is an oil pressure source, not a return.

EDIT: referring to the desired new location arrow.

Edited by shel_bizzy_48
  • Like 1

• Solution

Thanks every one. Don, do you have to insert that plug from inside the oil pan ? 

Yes. The oil pan must be removed as well as the crossover oil supply line from the oil pump. The plug is installed inside the block where the crossover line connects on the starter side of the block. The block should be already threaded internally to accept this plug.

Finalpeek1.jpg

• Like 1

Yes. The oil pan must be removed as well as the crossover oil supply line from the oil pump. The plug is installed inside the block where the crossover line connects on the starter side of the block. The block should be already threaded internally to accept this plug.

Finalpeek1.jpg

Thanks Don, all clear now.