Photo Request---- '49 B1B

I took some photos the other day of the linkage setup on the '48 with the Ball&Ball on the 218; the '49 1-ton with the Stromberg on the 230 was an almost identical setup (currently partially disassembled for short test runs), as well as the '51 1-ton with the Stromberg on the 230...the return spring is attached to the floorboard with a cotter pin as shown.  The return spring has tension on it while at zero throttle.  Also shown is how close the throttle linkage on the back of the bell housing gets to the bottom of the cab when the cab mounts are worn and the motor mounts are new.  The only other engine setup that I have that is complete is on the '53 Spring Special, and it's a bit of a head scratcher.  The engine appears to have been replaced at some point, so I'm not totally sold that the B4B setup is original.  The return spring, which is smaller than the ones used on the B-1s & B-3s, is attached at the throttle linkage rod at the pivot linkage as there is no clip present like the ones shown in the manual.  This spring is then hooked to the lip on the floor board, not to a cotter pin through the floor board.  I could not locate a hole in the floor board for the cotter pin to fit, so I'm kinda wondering if this might have been a running change near the end of B-series production...

post-2888-0-27387100-1378763355_thumb.jpgpost-2888-0-74240000-1378763386_thumb.jpgpost-2888-0-08216500-1378763404_thumb.jpgpost-2888-0-23579000-1378763418_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Anyone know of a source for the spring that runs from the throttle linkage to the cotter pin in the right inner fender?  HanksB3B posted a good photo of it near the start of this thread. I guess something similar would probably do the trick, but the correct one would be best.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

Thanks Merle. Looks like I'll do the same. From what I can tell, the purpose of the fender-connected spring is to take any looseness or play out of the throttle linkage so that pressing the accelerator pedal provides a precise response. So, any spring that comes close to the original should work fine. I imagine the feel of the accelerator pedal can be adjusted depending on the stiffness of the spring being used.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B