The Old Boy Cleans Up Well

Dan Babb

Thinking about selling the truck, so I went to a friends house tonight and we buffed and waxed it.  Amazing what using the right tools can do to a tired paint job.

I'm not done yet, but so far, it's looking great.  Here's a shot he took with his cellphone.  I still have to do the doors and cab...but the rest is done.

BuffedDodge_zps233e3ef1.jpg

Edited by Dan Babb

I don't really drive it all that much and I'm pretty much done tinkering with it.  I'm finding myself bored now that I don't have any real projects to work on and ready for something else.

I'm probably going to finish cleaning it up, then drive to the cruise-ins I usually attend and put a sign on it.  If I find a buyer...great.  If not, I'll wait till one comes along. 

If I were to do another truck, I would want to do either a frame swap or install a modern front suspension to get an upgrade in performance. 

I used to feel the same way, but the performance of these old machines is part of their charm (to me at least).  The hell with the 2 guys riding on my tail because I can't take a corner at 55 mph!  I just love when people pass me in a no passing zone only to come up behind them at the next traffic light. 

• Like 2

I used to feel the same way, but the performance of these old machines is part of their charm (to me at least).  The hell with the 2 guys riding on my tail because I can't take a corner at 55 mph!  I just love when people pass me in a no passing zone only to come up behind them at the next traffic light. 

I can't agree more! I love my grossly under powered flat head! I don't really care how many Subarus and Prius are stacked up behind me! LOL! 

On another note.....I'd love to have that pilothouse for an everyday run about!

I'm in the same camp as the above two posts. Driving an old truck is an experience. The shifting, clutching, foot pedal control, and the sound of the engine in its different RPM stages is what I like. It takes more planning ahead to drive such got to judge the traffic and the road is what it's all about. I'm looking forward to driving the BIG SUR road with Don Coatney in late sept.  That will be fun! 

Do you have a price in mind for selling?

I'm in the same camp as the above two posts. Driving an old truck is an experience. The shifting, clutching, foot pedal control, and the sound of the engine in its different RPM stages is what I like. It takes more planning ahead to drive such got to judge the traffic and the road is what it's all about. I'm looking forward to driving the BIG SUR road with Don Coatney in late sept.  That will be fun! 

Do you have a price in mind for selling?

I like the experience of being the operator of 80 year old equipment. For me it would not be anywhere near the fun if it drove like a modern car.

I've driven California 1 between Carmel and Cambria a number of times in the old car. Both directions. I suspect I'll be out of state when Don comes through or I'd be really tempted to fire up the old car and tag along. The prices aren't cheap, but lunch at Nepenthe a little south of Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park is nice with, weather cooperating, is a great view down the coast.

There is a paragraph in this latest issue of Skinned Knuckles that hits the nail on the head not only about cars but about the past and appreciating the little things that make driving a 70 year old thing of beauty worth every penny and drop of sweat and blood. If you're getting "bored" of the truck or car or whatever it may be you might want to reflect back to what made you purchase the thing in the first place. 

For me, I'll never be in it for the comfort of mustang II suspension or reliability of disk brakes or geared up for highway speeds. it's all about the thrill of driving a piece of history as it was intended.

In defense of Dan...cuz really I can't seem to part with any of my trucks....I have a friend who is a builder and not a collector. He goes through the process like a kid building model cars. Except he can't move on to the next project without recovering some or all of the cost. He loves building stuff. I've seen him do the same thing with his regular cars and trucks. Has them for a year or two and sells them to buy something different.   

I've really enjoyed Dan's threads on his Hemi Truck build. Takes a lot of focus to build and document at the same time (a few of you are really good at that btw...Mark!) So I can see where he needs a new challenge. I can image that having a mondern suspension under that Hemi would be nice...but that project is done. Its time Dan, for you to find a 48-53 Truck and build a frame worthy of racing! See you at Bonneville brother....:) 

48D

Don't think Bonneville is in my future...although it would be a blast. 

I enjoy road courses and have gotten into Auto-Cross with my other car (Cobra replica). 

Here's a link to a video

I wasn't really driving it that hard, so I was quite a bit off the pace of other drivers that day.

I wound up using my Dodge over the weekend to donate some sofa's to Goodwill and go pick-up new sofa's at a furniture store.  It is nice having a truck.  Maybe my next project will be another truck.  Would like a more modern suspension and drivetrain in a cool looking old truck.  That migh force me to have to look at a Ford or Chevy so I can buy some bolt in goodies instead of having to do a sub-frame swap on an old Dodge.   Maybe even look at a 30's truck where I can buy a new frame that the body bolts up to.

Looks like fun Dan.....I like how the AutoX deal has grown. People always wanna see you go faster, but when stuff breaks....they are no where to be found! lol. So drive it to the point of maximum fun...anything over that gets expensive... ^_^

I agree with Ram.....tear down the Hemi Truck and bulid a suspension the dang thing deserves. :cool:  2cents

48D   

Ya know, this whole thread just made me think of something that we're probably all aware of.  I used to drive tractor trailer for a living many year ago.  Now when I get in a rig after a 30+ year hiatus I realize that there were everyday skills that I developed to drive that rig confidently and comfortably. Those skills like any other skill took time, practice and experience to learn.   I think the same can be said for jumping in one of our old vehicles.  We become lazy driving a new automatic equipped vehicle, just a non thinking step on the gas, aim and go.   I took the 2.5 ton to a cruise the other night and had to pull out on a hill and stop at a light.  I got spooked because the guy in the Prius behind me was right on my tail and if I messed up the take-off he'd need a grill.  I grabbed the ebrake and feathered the clutch when the light turned green and pulled away.  I've got to get to the point with this vehicle that I know it well enough that I can just to a routine take off but I notice that my reflexes aren't what they used to be.  These old vehicles aren't point and go, they require some skill and aptitude to drive which is a big part of the enjoyment.  This is also one of my big arguments about the FD I belong to buying class 7-8 trucks with automatics.  If you need an automatic to be able to drive the truck-you probably shouldn't be driving it.  Ok-I'm off my soapbox now.

• Like 1

it was just a prius....

Hey! I resemble that remark. . . Got our first in the fall of 2000 and our second in the fall of 2003.

Prius has been the best selling model car in my area for a number of years now. And I'm "old tech" with our 10 and 13 year old cars, Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) are a common sight here and even Teslas are common enough that you see one every day or two.

Not a truck, but if stopped on a hill in the '33 I am well aware that I am not as practiced as I used to be on getting started again without rolling back. Haven't missed yet, but I have to think about it whereas when I was younger and all the vehicles I had were equipped with manual transmissions it seemed to be easier.

But Todd, you live in SF......you have to have a Prius, its the law. :lol:

Just like if you live in the Foothills, you have to have Fer-by-Fer....

48D

But Todd, you live in SF......you have to have a Prius, its the law. :lol:

Just like if you live in the Foothills, you have to have Fer-by-Fer....

48D

I believe they have modified the law so that if you don't drive a Prius you must have a rainbow bumper decal on your car. <_<

fixed your post...

Seems that for some reson I cannot remove or edit my earlier post. I applogize to the forum and anyone offended!  :( Cannot remove the faces below either. Again not computer smart enough . :o

Doug

;)

;)

Edited by DJ194950