Fuel Pump, Car Vs Truck. Need New Pump

grassfiddler

The fuel pump on my 52 Coronet is in need of replacement. I am going to rebuild the one on the car but I would like to replace it for now. A pump like the one on my car is pretty pricey but I see truck pumps for less than $50. So my question is, will a truck pump work on our cars?

Yes it will attach to the engine correctly. The issues could be different locations of the lines and possibly not fitting in the available space.

Fuel lines can be remade or bent if need be but my biggest concern with using the truck pump is the pump arm. It looks different than the car pump and I wasn't sure if it would work with the internals of the engine the same. If it does then I thought I would take a chance on one. I think there may be enough room for a truck pump to fit.

Fuel lines can be remade or bent if need be but my biggest concern with using the truck pump is the pump arm. It looks different than the car pump and I wasn't sure if it would work with the internals of the engine the same. If it does then I thought I would take a chance on one. I think there may be enough room for a truck pump to fit.

I am using a truck fuel pump on '52 Cranbrook.  I had to change the fuel line a bit but other than that, it bolted right up.  The actuator arm is different but it just rides on a different part of the pump drive cam--it's worked fine now for 1500 miles or so

Ideally try and get a pump that has a bolt-on diaphragm housing, ie, usually has 6-8 screws equidistant around the edge and will sometimes allow the inlet/outlet ports to be moved to suit the fuel lines....as far as I know all the mopar flathead six pumps will fit onto the block , its where the lines are that can make for some fitting issues....andyd