Bias Ply Tire ?

55 Fargo
Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

Hey all, I know bias ply do not handle or ride as well as radials, but they must be reasonable, heck they were used for many many years.

I do not know if my Dunlop Gold Seals are bias or the improved bias belted.

They are 4 ply passenger tires, are soft and subtle, not all dried up and hardened.

I still have some major play in front steering, and do still need tie rod ends badly.

With any steering play is noticed more easily I am hoping once repaired to improve the ride.

Can those of you tell your story on bias ply tires from years ago or recent times.

I really like the look of these tires, so want to improve all aspects of steering and handling.

I did test drive on my rough rutted roadway, made for an interesting ride with loose steering.

Edited by 55Fargo

Yes, I can tell you about Bias Ply. I have the Goodyear tires on my 39 Desoto. Yes they will find every rut in the road and if you get to travel on a road that has just been milled, inwhich they have taken off the top layer of asphalt then you had better cut your speed down.  The car will be pulled all over the road because of the milling process.  You will not notice any issue on a smooth asphalt road or cement road.

You will get some pulling when the road is rutted from the heavy truck dual tires if they have made a pattern in the asphualt.

The use of radial with our older cars is still not recommended by the AACA.  The cars were originally designed to support Bias Ply tires.  The suspension is not setup to handle the rolling action that a radial tire has and the design of the radial.  So if you use a radial then you do so at your own option.

So slow down and enjoy the ride of our oder cars and do not be in such a hurry.  If you want to go fast then get a street rod that has the correct suspension and is setup for radials.  This is just my 2 cents so please do not take an offence to my statement just trying to provide information on the topic.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

Yes, I can tell you about Bias Ply. I have the Goodyear tires on my 39 Desoto. Yes they will find every rut in the road and if you get to travel on a road that has just been milled, inwhich they have taken off the top layer of asphalt then you had better cut your speed down.  The car will be pulled all over the road because of the milling process.  You will not notice any issue on a smooth asphalt road or cement road.

You will get some pulling when the road is rutted from the heavy truck dual tires if they have made a pattern in the asphualt.

The use of radial with our older cars is still not recommended by the AACA.  The cars were originally designed to support Bias Ply tires.  The suspension is not setup to handle the rolling action that a radial tire has and the design of the radial.  So if you use a radial then you do so at your own option.

So slow down and enjoy the ride of our oder cars and do not be in such a hurry.  If you want to go fast then get a street rod that has the correct suspension and is setup for radials.  This is just my 2 cents so please do not take an offence to my statement just trying to provide information on the topic.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

H iRich, no offence taken, and yes I am in no rush, unless traffic is up my back door.

Trouble is around here is there are still plenty of older 2 lane highways, but are packed with traffic, we are in some ways 40 years behind on some roadways.

Just this morning on the way home, on a nice country roadway, bumper to bumper with 65 + mph, not my idea of fun, these people use this type of road for short cuts.

i drove cars in the late 70s that were 60s and early 70s cars, they must have had bias belted tires some of them. I still drove 60-70 mph, 1 thing I remember is they did not handle as well on snow or wet surfaces...thanx 

I've had bias ply on my '48 since '99, have about 10k+ miles on them and they are getting thin in tread.  I put them on to keep the truck original, and cussed myself cuz that truck rode so bad for so long...turns out my steering gearbox was out of adjustment (repairs made--problem solved) and the truck rides much better now.  They do hang up in ruts or grooves in pavement, they don't corner as well as radials, and the ride is a bit bumpier than on radials.  But I like the look of the bias ply on the truck, I'm in no hurry when I drive down the road, and I avoid driving in wet weather because of the combination of increased stopping distances + idiot uninsured drivers who care not to yield to the right of way when entering traffic.  And cuz I'm a knuckle-draggin' Neanderthal, I like the fact that I need skill & muscle to jockey my truck down the road...power steering & power brakes are fer sissies :cool:

• Like 3

I've had bias ply on my '48 since '99, have about 10k+ miles on them and they are getting thin in tread.  I put them on to keep the truck original, and cussed myself cuz that truck rode so bad for so long...turns out my steering gearbox was out of adjustment (repairs made--problem solved) and the truck rides much better now.  They do hang up in ruts or grooves in pavement, they don't corner as well as radials, and the ride is a bit bumpier than on radials.  But I like the look of the bias ply on the truck, I'm in no hurry when I drive down the road, and I avoid driving in wet weather because of the combination of increased stopping distances + idiot uninsured drivers who care not to yield to the right of way when entering traffic.  And cuz I'm a knuckle-draggin' Neanderthal, I like the fact that I need skill & muscle to jockey my truck down the road...power steering & power brakes are fer sissies :cool:

Thanx Man, just looking at some issues of Hotrod Deluxe, plenty of muscle driven hot rods way back when with bias tires, did they all drive under 40 mph, don't think so.

I really believe the suspension and steering must be in good shape, radials do compensate for a lot of that...

There was a discussion on another truck forum about the ability of a bias ply tire to stand up to extended periods of non use.  For a vehicle that sits the majority of the time vs a daily use vehicle I have found that the bias ply tires age nicely w/o cracking in the sidewalls-which can be a serious problem in a radial tire. The ride and handling is a tradeoff for longevity according to the discussion and my experience.

Years ago I had an old 3/4 ton truck with HD 8 ply truck tires on it and it handled and tracked great. I think that if you want to run bias ply tires these days you want some with a very stiff sidewall and a truck type tread pattern. With anything less than this I think you are going to have to pay far too much attention to the changing road surface conditions.

Jeff

i run 8.25x20 bias truck tires on all six wheels. i drive on all surfaces frequently (pavement, gravel, loose pavement). seems to track nicely. granted, top speed is about 48, and i normally go 35 to 40. traction on wet pavement hasn't been a problem. they are 10-ply, so that probably isn't what you'll want; too stiff for a lighter vehicle, and may not be available anyway.

i also run bias tires on my cj, and have run them for over 10 years. they do find pavement tracks somewhat, but they still work well. wet traction with them has also been good, and sidewall strength is superior to radials, which is important for what i use the jeep for (plenty of off-highway - rocks).

Went for a highway test drive tonight, truck road smooth, the tires did not make for a rougher ride. Steering and handling/control, seem scary.

I have new shocks, springs and shackles in good form, king pins in good shape. The outer tie rod ends, are loose with a lot of play, so ordered new ones today.

These loose tie rod ends, would they make fora scary ride with bias ply tires?

The tires were from a friend, he complained about them, they were on his 56 Caddy, and have no miles on them, they look new, could there be something wrong with the tires? They are Dunlop Gold Seals.

I love the tires and look, but want to make the steering and handling as best I can get it to be.

On the gravel road, had to lower my speed quite a bit as compared to radial tires, the truck seems to slope a bit now on the sloped road,more than with radial tires......thanx 

After you replace the tie rod ends align (set the toe in) and see how it tracks.  Loose t-rod ends would definitely make for a scary ride since it can't and won't hold a toe in adjustment.  While your at it, check that the steering box mounting is tight on the frame and that the drag link ends aren't worn or loose.

• Like 1

After you replace the tie rod ends align (set the toe in) and see how it tracks.  Loose t-rod ends would definitely make for a scary ride since it can't and won't hold a toe in adjustment.  While your at it, check that the steering box mounting is tight on the frame and that the drag link ends aren't worn or loose.

Thanx drag link ends are very good replaced it a few years ago with a slightly used part. Yes steering box is tight to frame,replaced with a better unit last year. The tie rod ends are toast, gonna replace in next few days. What spec is for the toe-in, 1/16 1/8?

i run 8.25x20 bias truck tires on all six wheels. i drive on all surfaces frequently (pavement, gravel, loose pavement). seems to track nicely. granted, top speed is about 48, and i normally go 35 to 40. traction on wet pavement hasn't been a problem. they are 10-ply, so that probably isn't what you'll want; too stiff for a lighter vehicle, and may not be available anyway.

i also run bias tires on my cj, and have run them for over 10 years. they do find pavement tracks somewhat, but they still work well. wet traction with them has also been good, and sidewall strength is superior to radials, which is important for what i use the jeep for (plenty of off-highway - rocks).

HAHA! I hear ya! You know my truck...It still has the old cracked to crap 8.25 recaps on the rear! I have another set of tires for it, but would like to wear these out first. I did laugh because of the 35 to 40 mph comment! That's a real comfortable speed with our size trucks!  :D

So here is a bit of an update, the said tires are Dunlop Gold Seal 78 series sport bias ply WW L78 15s. The tires have no miles, most likely less than a few hunnert, they were on a 56 Caddy Coupe Deville, and it was inside all the time, and in a museum for a few years too. the car is heavy, wonder how much effect it had on sidewalls of these 4 ply passenger tires.

They look mint inside and out except for some light blemishes on the whites.

My truck has new shocks, king pins in good condition, steering box small amount of play, pitman shaft tie rod assembly tight and in very good condition, outer tie rod ends have play, just waiting on parts. Current toe-in 1/8, caster and camber, unknown and have no idea if both sides the same, did not notice any uneven wear on old tires.

Driving on smooth flat surface no issues, ride is quite smooth. Driving on rutted or loose gravel or uneven pavement cause some major drifting if you don't really watch it.

The same issues was evident on the 56 Caddy, which was supposed to have a good tight front end. I did not drive the car, but Buddy did not like the handling with the tires. I at first thought he was so used to radials and modern cars, that he was being fussy.

I am waiting to see how they handle gravel roads and pavement inconsistencies, before I make some more decisions.

My research has discovered cars with suspect front ends, and/or old bias tires that have been in service a lot of miles can cause all of the negative symptoms and driving/handling issues.i have owner a few vehicles in my youth, with bias ply tires, none handled as poorly as my truck does on gravel. Yes they handled not as well as radials or modern vehicles but very good nonetheless.

So will find out, and if these tires look great, but have time in service issues, will make ornaments out of them.....thanx 

Tires are out of round, at least 2 could not be balanced. No wonder it iwas a little hard to handle. Guess these will be ornaments now.....LOL

Nobody in thee parts can tru and shave bias ply tires, that might be the only anwer for them. Years of a heavy 56 Caddy sitting on them probably did some kind of damage/distortion......thanx

Fred..go buy some good tires and get it over with ...you will save money in the long run...

So far this has cost me nothing, but will get different tires, gonna go with radials, no big deal thought I would give these a try... 

Fred..go buy some good tires and get it over with ...you will save money in the long run...

So far this has cost me nothing, but will get different tires, gonna go with radials, no big deal thought I would give these a try... 

• 3 months later...

Today was at local shop I deal with had 05 Caravan trans fluid and filter service, but had a slight leak on pan.

This morning I take in van and 1 wheel off 55 Fargo, had it put on there balancer machine, low and behold, it only required .5 oz, to balance.

Now I had all 4 wheels and tires at work on a brand new state of the art balancer, and they could not be balanced.

Now the Guy I had try this at work, obviously tried 1 or 2 tires, and then gave up. So will take all 3 to local shop, I do suspect I have 1 bent rim in the equation, but will find out tomorrow.

This makes me happy, as I was going to try balancing beads, and hopefully the others will balance too...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A very good Old Car Friend, had a set of SUV/LT tires off a vehicle he sold a couple of years ago, they are also a couple years old, mounted on old 80s Ranger/Bronco rims.

So I put em on the 55 and went out driving, yes a night and day difference in handling, very good traction, steering, and no vibration, cruised nice at 60 mph on the highway too.

Some pics, before anyone gets annoyed , the tires are being pulled off these rims, back to 60s style rims and baby moon caps, white lettering on the inside...

post-107-0-79100600-1392837470_thumb.jpg

post-107-0-67907200-1392837475_thumb.jpg

• Like 1