Pilot House Emergency Brake Question

samuel1952

I took mine to a clutch & brake re-lining shop...the pad they got for the shoe was a li'l thick, so after I made the adjustments so that the brake would hold when engaged, the ends of the pad dragged on the drum for about a hunnert miles, which kinda stunk up the cab...the heat build-up also baked the paint I put on, so that kinda stunk up the cab too  :cool:

the linings that the brake & clutch shop installed were about 1/8" too long, so when they were riveted to the bands, the ends were contacting the drum, like the tip of a fingernail on a file.  After so many revolutions, them ends wore down enough that there was some clearance between them and the drum.  But them li'l tips took a while to wear down, so in the meantime they really stunk up the place.  The park brakes still work great, and the drums show no discoloration and still brake smoothly when engaged.

the brake shoe can be removed without dropping the driveshaft.  There's a lock wire & a spring behind the shoe mounting bolt...pay attention to how the brake is installed, ya might want to take some before pics so ya won't have much trouble re-assembling.

Ah, the drawings are most helpful!!!  thank you!!. and The sound of nails on chalkboard is the sound i'm getting..maybe i can just adjust, but to lazy today to crawl under today :). So is there a source for new pads?

thanks again for your help...you have all have been great!

s.

Best to edit your user profile - If folks know where you are they may be able to point you in the right direction for a supplier.

I was lucky here in Oz to find a fella who had some left over brake pad material when I needed some for my E'brake drum.