46 Or 47 D24

dodgeguy

Hi, new to site. We just bought our first Dodge and are confused about vin. Title says it is a 47 but none of the numbers I can find match anything on title. Where is the vin located on a 4 door d24. I checked tag on cowl and door post. .Paperwork found in trunk i.e ad in paper, parts receipts ect. indicate. it is a 46. Will titleing it as a 47 hurt value down road. Its bone stock driver everything works, just want to put historic plates on it and drive jt.PS it also came with two trailer loads of spare parts so I don't feel like we paid too much even with title question.

A lot of states titled new cars as the year in which they were originally titled.  So if a new 46 was purchased in January of 47, it might get titled as a 47.  This happened to mine.  It was built in Oct of 46, purchased in late December and titled January 4th as a 47.   Some states used the engine number which is stamped into the block above the generator,(your's should start with D 24 followed by other symbols and digits) the vehicle's serial number assigned after Body engine and frame was assembled was stamped into a black and silver metal plate attached to one of the Body "A" pillar.  Mine is on the Pass side some are ont he drivers side.  This number is sequential and will determine when and where your car wwas assembled.  Some people have found the original engine number stamped on the frame behind the driver's side rear wheel.  Some have reported the stamping ahead of the axle, some behind, and some on top of the frame over the axle.  If your car is i decent unrestored conditioin you might want to check into the Antique Automobile Club.  They have a recogition program / registry of survivor vehicles.  Welcome to the site.  There are a couple of members in Missouri.  Mark Aubuchon is in the St. Louis area. perhaps you might look him up on the members list and send him a PM.  He has a couple of Plymouths and a Dodge truck or two.

Welcome to the site.

Not sure what the laws are in MO., but at this point, until you match a # up some where, all you may have purchased is a title with lots of spare parts :)

My D24 was registered (no title NY till 1973) using the motor number. After I purchased it I got the registration # changed over to the "serial number" that is on the door pillar. The engine has since been swapped out, and would have no longer matched the registration.

while there is no real VIN number for that year..you do have some numbers on the car of value.  The engine number as stated above is often the one on the title and yes the year sold often gets on there also instaed of year of production.  The engine number is found on the left rear frame rail at the tip up of the frame for the rear axle.  May be light stamp...clean good without scratching or scarping..once found often a bit of oil will highlight it for legibility.  On the Cowl is a Briggs body number that is a number that marks their production for deliverly to Dodge..the Dodge number is then located on the A-post (either left or right as I cannot remember with certainity at the minute) and this is the very sequence number as it rolled fromt he dodge assembly line and the number one will need to get the historical documentation if they so choose from Chrysler Hist. Society

I don't know how to ad to original post, still learning.so I will ad question here . What are the physical difference of a 46 d24 and 47 d24 this may help me out. also how do you tell if your sedan 4dr is a custom or delux or basic thanks

I don't know of any obvious differences between a 46 and 47. However, there are several differences between a Deluxe and a Custom. The Deluxe was the the less expensive model, it came with vacuum wipers, no chrome trim on the interior side window garnishes and no directional signals. The Custom model had electric wipers, chrome trim at the base of the nterior of the side windows and factory installed directionals that have small arrow indicator lights next to the high beam indicator above the speedometer. (although the directionals may not have been available until 48). The Custom also came with 10 inch diameter hub caps whereas the Deluxe had 9 inch. Also, I believe the 47 and 48 models came with 15 inch rims while the the 46 had 16 inch rims.

I hope that this helps, and if I am mistaken about any of this, I'm sure some other forum member will correct me.

Dave

• Like 1

BusyCoupe had some good pointers there...

Basically the '46-'48 cars are "all the same", and are slightly facelifted '42 models.

Most '46's did have 16" rims & tires,  and frequently white reflector dots in the rear fender lights, which changed to red for '47-'48.

Another clue is the swinging cover over the keyway of the door locks: '47-'48's had a thick "figure-eight" shaped cover over the cylinder / keyway itself, while the '46's had a thin, flat, round cover, like he pre-war models.

I think the D-24 Custom series had the word "Custom" somewhere on the dash trim (trying to remember mine)...  if the vehicle does NOT have Fluid Drive, it could be more likely to be the lower-priced Deluxe series.

Check the engine number to see if that matches anything on the title;  the engine # is found on the upper-left side of the engine block, towards the front, above the generator,  and just below the parting-line between the cylinde head and the block.  It is stamped-into a flat boss.  The orignal engine would begin with the model/year code: D 24.

I don't know how to ad to original post, still learning.so I will ad question here . What are the physical difference of a 46 d24 and 47 d24 this may help me out. also how do you tell if your sedan 4dr is a custom or delux or basic thanks

You can add to a post by using "Edit", but most following a thread do not go back and start over each time. The thread gets opened at the latest unread post, so you are better off doing it as you did here.

Year by s/n

http://p15-d24.com/page/p15d24/reference/d24_reference_.html

post-80-0-97538600-1377130810_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

Thanks for all the help guys and gals ,found matching #s on block and title and left rear frame rail 1st 4 digits only available on frame but good enough. Sent off for historic yr of mfg plates today and signed up for collector car ins. Can,t wait to start enjoying it.Went for 1st long drive 2 nite engine  quit on hiway felt like fuel delivery problem, let it cool off fired up will sort out vapor or filter problem this fall. P.S. I have lots of spare parts don't know what to hang onto or sell, is there away to get emails off line to communicate with you guys with tying up this site thanks.

is there away to get emails off line to communicate with you guys with tying up this site thanks.

One way to communicate is by "private message".

If you look all the way at the top of the page you will see an envelope over on the right, just to the left of your name. You can use that to send messages to more than one person at a time..

You can click on the name of anyone that posts. Then you can sent that person a message.

Up top on the left, second line, you will see "Help"    It will help you with using the site.

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

there are companies that make state tags in the correct color and format....YOM laws as I have read them requires actual issued tags and not reproductions and thus the required inspection by authorities prior to confirming them over in the system to your current tag...often though some agents of the DMV fudge this factor.this action could well go against an honest holder of a YOM tag..and the very reason for the inspection.  Refinishing the tag prior to YOM assignment could also forfeit that tag for use as the majority laws say original tag in good repair (not repaired)

Dodge Guy,

Glad you found a matching number on the vehcile;  this can be a game-stopper when a vehicle was titled on the engine number decades ago, then the engine was swapped-out, and the title / registration never amended.

I would like to make a suggestion to you, which you can ponder and act on as you see fit;  once you have the car legally registered in your name,  I would recommend looking into your state's process to "amend the title" to include the vehicle's SERIAL number ( stamped into the aluminum tag that is rivetted to the RF door pillar ),  the advantage being, from that day forward, the vehicle is titled ilke any other modern vehicle, and if you have to or want to swap engines,  you won't be saddled with a vehicle ID issue when it comes time to sell the car ( or for your dependents / heirs, should you no longer be around...).

Usually this involves having a State Policmeman inspecting the vehicle to confirm that your D-24, "with engine # so & so, titled in your name, etc. also bears serial # this & such, etc... and so-on.".

I am in the same predicament with a Studebaker truck; titled on the engine number 50+ years ago, and that engine is  in bad shape.  So I am going to get it running under the existing engine, drive it to the local state police garage, have the trooper-mechanic inspect it, verify everything, and complete the application for amended title.

Just something to think about... if your state MVA is driver-friendly,  then it would be worthwhile down the road;  or it might be a "sleeping dog" ( let it alone ).

Good luck !

Thanks for all the help guys and gals ,found matching #s on block and title and left rear frame rail 1st 4 digits only available on frame but good enough. Sent off for historic yr of mfg plates today and signed up for collector car ins. Can,t wait to start enjoying it.Went for 1st long drive 2 nite engine  quit on hiway felt like fuel delivery problem, let it cool off fired up will sort out vapor or filter problem this fall. P.S. I have lots of spare parts don't know what to hang onto or sell, is there away to get emails off line to communicate with you guys with tying up this site thanks.

there are companies that make state tags in the correct color and format....YOM laws as I have read them requires actual issued tags and not reproductions and thus the required inspection by authorities prior to confirming them over in the system to your current tag...often though some agents of the DMV fudge this factor.this action could well go against an honest holder of a YOM tag..and the very reason for the inspection.  Refinishing the tag prior to YOM assignment could also forfeit that tag for use as the majority laws say original tag in good repair (not repaired)

That was the reason for my question.

As De Soto Frank said, it's a good idea to have your title amended to have the car serial number, not the engine number.  I've had a number of old Plymouths and most of them had the engine number on the paperwork; I amended all of them when I registered each car.  In New York, it was only a matter of providing a pencil tracing of the vehicle number formthe front door post and having an insurance card to match that number.

Edited by JerseyHarold

Yes....I was also wondering how or where you are "sending off" for YOM plates.  Missouri has the "historic/antique vehicle" plates issued by the License Bureau.  And

they will take an old 1947 plate, issued in 1947, and run the numbers to see if they are being currently used by anyone else or reported stolen......and if all is OK, they will assign that plate to you as a YOM.    

Oh----regarding any spare or duplicate parts...........I would advise making a space in the corner to store them as this old car stuff gets tougher to

find all the time.  And prices being asked on e-bay and at swap meets continue to rise....some have gotten ridiculous.  I still have some small items

gotten in junkyards back in the 1970s, and they come in handy on occasion.  So don't be too hasty. 

Yes....I was also wondering how or where you are "sending off" for YOM plates.  Missouri has the "historic/antique vehicle" plates issued by the License Bureau.  And

they will take an old 1947 plate, issued in 1947, and run the numbers to see if they are being currently used by anyone else or reported stolen......and if all is OK, they will assign that plate to you as a YOM.    

That is basically how MN works. They make a photocopy of your plate and send it off to someone who checks it. If it passes you can put it on your car. I have YOM plates on both my 46 and 48.