23" Flathead To Replace A 25"?

dorkpunch

Hey all, quick question for you.

I am trying to get my great grandpa's old truck back on the road. Its a '48 B-1. I found a set of older trucks, a '39 VC and a '41 WC. I got the motor from the '39 running great and would like to swap it in to the '48 (the two older trucks are REALLY rough, no titles, etc).

My problem though is the running motor is a 23 incher, T105. The motor that was in the B-1 was a 25.

Aside from the front motor mounts being to far away, is there any other reason why this wont work?

Some pics of the offenders:

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_3703-L.jpg

Resting spot.

IMG_3691-L.jpg

IMG_3695-L.jpg

IMG_3646-L.jpg

IMG_3672-L.jpg

No you really should be able to swap them. The areas to pay close attention to are the motor mounts, starter to ring gear mesh which I think with 2 truck engines should be fine, and then the fan to radiator spacing. You might need a spacer.

PS I sure wish you could drop that VC off at my place!!!! What are your plans for it?

Havent decided yet on the two older ones... I really like the styling of them a lot more than the pilothouse, but its been in the family since '48 so I cant get rid of it.

The two older ones might be for sale eventually. I live about 20 miles outside of Idaho Falls, Id if anyone is interested in them.

Decision time. The motor is coming out. Everywhere I look at Blackie, I just see more things that need fixing. The motor will *probably* fit in my '48, although it is smaller than what it's supposed to have in it.

Look at that! It fits in my garage!

IMG_3729-L.jpg

Yanked the rad before I pulled it in though.

IMG_3728-L.jpg

10 minutes worth of work and the trans is out.

IMG_3730-L.jpg

2.5 hours later, I have the engine ready to come out.

IMG_3732-L.jpg

IMG_3731-L.jpg

IMG_3733-L.jpg

Had several stuck bolts I had to cut off, and lots of things needed to be taken off to get to other things. Not like my old Ford- I had that motor OUT in under 45 minutes IIRC.

If it fits in the '48, great. I'll drive it while I rebuild the spitfire motor right, then I can swap them out. At that point, I can decide what to do with the older 2; build one, make a rat rod, or who knows. Right now I'm thinking I'll probably sell them because I just don't have the space right now- I have 6 vehicles but only room to park 4...

Ta-da! Motor out.

IMG_3734-L.jpg

IMG_3735-L.jpg

I would say that clutch is fragged...

IMG_3736-L.jpg

Dug out the '48 and pulled it up by the house. Had my 9 year old "drive" it- pretty funny watching him run the armstrong steering, not to mention you have to spin it 4 times before things start to go. By that point, he's clear on the other side of the road and doing his darndest to spin it back! lol8.gif

IMG_3737-L.jpg

Man. I have a lot of crap.

IMG_3738-L.jpg

And now for the bad news... I thought I had 2 transmissions with the green truck- the fluid drive and the one from the Fargo cab. Unfortunately, I only have the fluid drive, and it's input shaft is about 4 inches longer than it needs to be for the regular bell housing.

More bad news- the clutch pack from the fluid drive is NOT the same as the older trucks, meaning I still don't have a clutch.

Grinding screeching halt time. I will price out a clutch tomorrow but its not in the cards to buy one right now. I was thinking I could try setting the engine in place to see how far off I am but I just realized I can't really do that without the clutch and the bellhousing attached. Ug.

I would say be careful pulling the engine with the manifold..these sometimes are easy to break...that would not be a fun experience..while still available to source given time and such..it is easier just to protect them best you can..

as for mocking up..go ahead and just pin it back together to do your mounts and other fabrication while awaiting money/clutch parts