1941-'48 Mopar Sedans - Repro Rubber Floormats ?

De Soto Frank

I know this is a really long shot...

Does anyone know of a source(s) for repro rubber front floor-mats for the '41-'48 MoPar sedans ?

My trusty-rusty '41 De Soto had a brown moulded-rubber mat up front, and carpet in the rear.

I would think they used the same mat '41-'48 for Chrysler-De Soto -Dodge...

:confused:

Thanks...

De Soto Frank

Unfortunately, there are no brown repo mats currently being reproduced.  There was a gentleman that had made some awhile ago but I understand that he has sold out his supply and has not made anymore.

Instead of using the rubber mat see if you can get a carpet done for the front and rear.

They do make a universal rubber mat that you would have to fit and then cut the various holes but they are not in brown and do not hav ethe ribs.  They are mostly black with a textured pebble looking pattern.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

If you can find a black rubber mat, why could you not color it to the shade of brown you need? There was a man making repop rubber mats for the 46-48 cars but he destroyed the molds which were original. I tried to make a copy of an original mat for a 52 Plymouth which came out fair but was a lot of work.

If you can find a black rubber mat, why could you not color it to the shade of brown you need? There was a man making repop rubber mats for the 46-48 cars but he destroyed the molds which were original. I tried to make a copy of an original mat for a 52 Plymouth which came out fair but was a lot of work.

There should be a special place in Hell reserved for people who do that sort of thing.

The story I got was some years back, the man located the molds at the company that had made them for Plymouth and bought them. He then made a number of mats and over time sold them. At the time there was low demand and not a big profit from the sales. The molds were not something you could just pick up and put in the back of your car, so they were stored where the mats were made. Another company came along and bought the company where the molds were and offered to buy the mold for little or nothing. Caught between a rock and a hard spot, the mold owner did not want to give the molds away and was not in a position to store them for who knows how long, so he did what he did.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

This ad is in the Pymouth Bulletin. I purchased one for my '41 Plymouth wagon.

Jim Yergin

1935, 1937-

1941 brown

floor mat:

1935 Plymouth

front

floor mat with

correct pattern,

$220; 1937-41

Plymouth,

Dodge, DeSoto

brown front floor mat, $220. $20 S&H, most locations. William Knudsen,

333 Orange St, Wyandotte, MI 48192. (734) 626 0261.

wknudsen402@aol.com

I just finished repairing the floorboards on my 41 Dodge conv and need new mats.  the originals were carpet but i think i will try to replace with rubber .  there are moldable rubber mats and moldable carpet on the net - google either one.  So far i've not contacted any supplier but will get around to it soon.  Has anyone had experence with moldable mats?

This ad is in the Pymouth Bulletin. I purchased one for my '41 Plymouth wagon.

Jim Yergin

Hi Jim,

What do you think of the quality?

Can you post a pic?

1935, 1937-

1941 brown

floor mat:

1935 Plymouth

front

floor mat with

correct pattern,

$220; 1937-41

Plymouth,

Dodge, DeSoto

brown front floor mat, $220. $20 S&H, most locations. William Knudsen,

333 Orange St, Wyandotte, MI 48192. (734) 626 0261.

wknudsen402@aol.com

You can find a picture with the ad on page 59:

http://www.plymouthbulletin.com/market/market.pdf

I am pleased with the quality.

Jim Yergin

Jim,

Thanks for sharing the Ad / Photo.   Is the front floor in your wagon flat, or is there a center-hump over the tranny / bell-housing?

Is the mat flat or "moulded" to fit the contour of the floor-boards ?

Thanks !

Frank

• 7 years later...

I carpeted the floor in my '51 Dodge D39 business coupe. It originally had a rubber mat and it wasn't too bad but I like the carpet better. It is a sound deadener and l think looks nice. I was never a big fan of the original interiors so chose to do it the way I wanted. Car is totally stock otherwise.

IMG_1611.JPG.94a6119048df486464d9e1590161eb58.JPG