1949 1Ton, Rare?

tonkaman

sweet deal, yea I am working on getting some used rubber under it now so I can roll it around the yard, motor is stuck but I don't know how bad might just pull the head and see what she looks like in there.  unfortunately when I was dismounting one o the rear tires I messed up the channel the split ring sits in so now I have to try and open it back up. learned a valuable lesson that day, use a friggin saws all when the tires are stuck that bad.  it has been nailed by plow or something tho so I guess ill have to stick one o my spare fenders on her. whats the value on a truck like this in running condition vs non running

null_zps9563dd0a.jpg

• Like 1

Nice truck, wish my grandfather had bought a 1 ton Express instead of the 1/2 ton version. I even like the ductile iron pipe front bumper with grill guard and tow bar. I'd leave it in place if it isn't already too late, it adds a certain bit of "I'm a truck, not a car in disguise", unlike my lowrider 1/2 ton project.

I'm one of the rarer members who does not like the fish bowl cabs. Too many potential leaks, and my wife insists on using the wing windows, I epoxied them shut on my 69 1/2 ton, need to on the 85 C10.

If you have a spare fender, definitely swap it out. Do you have a spare front cap, or is that one something you can straighten? Those grill bars are in awfully nice condition too, rare to not see them mangled on a work truck.

Value? All in the eye of a potential buyer. I finally put a sign on my 49 that said "$10/lb", if somebody wants it that bad, I'll let it go, otherwise, they can leave. Got tird of saying it wasn't for sale. If I was in the market and your truck was close to my place in west TN, I'g go a couple grand on it, resale value on 1 tons in farm condition isn't all that high. Not much demand for them compared to the easier to drive in town 1/2 and 3/4 tons.

I was considering taking off the home made bumpers and sticking on an original front but im still up in the air on it, the rear bumper has the fenders torn so it might get removed as it really doesn't look all that nice. I think the front cap can be saved the fender too if you had enough patience but I know where there are a few parts trucks sleeping in the grass, hahaha  I just hate to lose tat hard earned patina that the truck has earned over the years.

No shortage of 1 tons. I am kinda amazed that so many show up here.

• Like 1

Cool truck. Looks like it could make a very nice patina type resto. You just gotta love that huge bed!

It seems like there are far more one tons out there than the 3/4 ton models. I wouldn't think you will have any trouble finding what you need to get it going again. It is hard to say what the real value is. If I had to guess based on what I have seen out there the last couple of years I would say $1000 to $2500 in this condition.

Have fun with it.

Jeff

Nice find, but be careful trying to repair that dinged rim.  If those locking rings don't fit correctly you could be looking at some serious injury to you or someone else.  It may be better to try and find a replacement for it. 

• 3 weeks later...

ok I have been trying to wake this old girl up, I have gotten the engine unstuck and removed the carb, and realized someone needed the coil more than I did, so im still looking for one, I know I have one just cant find it.   anyway why does it have a Stromberg carb on it?  I thought all the dodges of this era had the carter ball and ball.

I think most of the 1 tons used a stromberg carb.