53Pilot House - Front & Rear Suspension, Brakes, & Rear Axle

I need your input. I have a 1953 pilot house with a flathead 6. The front suspension is shot as is the brakes and the rear end. The front suspension is worn out as well. The body is n remarkably good shape. I want to upgrade the axle, brakes, and steering, and suspension so I can have a good daily driver. What has worked well for the members here? I could use some direction from those that know. Thank you.

The front suspension is shot as is the brakes and the rear end. The front suspension is worn out as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'front suspension' is shot. To me that means the shackles are gone, no big deal, just replace them. I put in new king pins, put on Rusty Hope's front disc brake kit, and exchanged the rear axle for a 95 Wrangler and radial tires. I also removed the next to the bottom spring leaf (no money involved but a LOT of work.  It tracks like a train and is comfortable to drive. Rod ends and steering gear you will have to inspect. 

BUT the KING PINS are critical, they are the foundation for the entire front.  There are several good threads on your question. Use wrangler, cherokee, brakes, etc. and you will find all the information required. Good luck, these are superior trucks to ALL others.

• Like 1

Thanks for the guidance. I will search for the articles you referenced. I want to get the truck reliable and functional. II appreciate the feedback!

Fill the steering box with white lithium boat trailer bearing grease, never worry about it again. Works great, doesn't leak.

Buy some spring liner from Posies or Speedway Motors, follow the directions. Smooths out the ride considerably. Shackles, bushings and bearings are all replacable, and require greasing, so add new grease fittings.

You can NOT over grease a Pilot House (except the water pump and factory rear axle outer bearings). If it moves, grease it.

Edited by Scruffy49
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...