To this

P8090007.jpg

The participants

Billy Austin

P8080019-1.jpg

Plymouthy Adams, and me

P8090005.jpg

For more photos follow this link

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DonCoatney/library/#/user/DonCoatney/library/Billy%20Austin?sort=3&page=1&_suid=1376100082588022306908193771901

This job was completed at the home workshop of forum menber Billy Austin. The engine was installed in a D-24 owned by Billy. This is the car that I will be riding shotgun in next month when we make one lap around America. Plan is to head north to Niagara Falls. Turn left and drive until we see the big water. Then turn left again until we can see Mexico. Turn left again and head back home.

• Like 4

I'm anxious to meet up with you in Carmel, CA for that 100 mile drive through the BIG SUR.! Others in California should join up. Would be trick to have a caravan of old Mopars treking down 101. 

I'm anxious to meet up with you in Carmel, CA for that 100 mile drive through the BIG SUR.! Others in California should join up. Would be trick to have a caravan of old Mopars treking down 101. 

Definitely!

Be sure you let people know where you are so meet ups are possible.

not to worry......NO D24 PARTS HARMED IN THIS SETUP.....the original drive is still intact..just sitting in the shop is all...Billy drove to my place earlier and grabbed a donor fluid drive coupler and the rest has a Mary Shelley twist..so yes direct mechanical coupler  without need to modify other drivetrain features/components..though still quite heavy, it did eliminate quite a bit of rotating weight..

That's a good 3 days work! Fun, too. Yay! Road trip! When you get to the left turn at the big water, lemme know. I'll see  if I can buy you guys a cup of coffee. You'll probably want a break by then. Of course, pics are requisite.

...Plan is to head north to Niagara Falls. Turn left and drive until we see the big water. Then turn left again until we can see Mexico. Turn left again and head back home.

Sounds like a real hoot!  

Any idea yet if/when y'all might be passing through Montana? 

If you come back via I-40, stop in on the way through. Or I can meet up with you guys at the Canada Road exit east of Memphis. About 30 minutes from the plantation.

If you come back via I-10, could likely meet up in Bay Saint Louis MS, we have a home there too. Back on the canals by the hospital.

If you guys were going in Oct/Nov instead, you could swing by for harvest season and fill the car up with pecans, black walnuts and persimmons. Oh well, you'll just have to make a return run...

That trip yet this year?   Yeah, now I see n"next month"

I'd drive to the Bay Area to hook up and drive down the coast,....other commitments allowing.

It'd be cool to connect.

Edited by mrwrstory

mrwrstory "I'd drive to the Bay Area to hook up and drive down the coast,....other commitments allowing.

It'd be cool to connect."

At least join us in carmel. I'm going to hold you to that. We can park on main street along side the Bentleys and Porches! Everyone will talk to us and ignore the others, be fun.  :cool: 

Niagara Falls, eh? That's just down the road from me, as in 5 or 6 miles. Let me know when your heading out if you think about it and your plan holds up. I'd like to meet you'uns, even if its just to chat a bit and get a photo or two.

Hey Guys,

A big thanks to Don & Tim for the help.  The new drive unit is a mix of fluid drive parts and standard a flywheel. This coupling allows you to keep a all standard set up.  After driving the car with fluid drive for a few miles I felt it was not for me.  I have not tested the set up yet. will post results.

-Billy-

Can't talk you into a swing by Syracuse then the Niagara Frontier???  The falls is about 2.5 from here, and Don C could refill his growler on the way west??  

I remember that one of the common fixes for a fluid drive back in the day was fo weld the stuff together.  Was done a lot at the dealership I worked in did it frequently.

Edited by greg g

I will be riding shotgun in next month when we make one lap around America. Plan is to head north to Niagara Falls. Turn left and drive until we see the big water. Then turn left again until we can see Mexico. Turn left again and head back home.

Hay Don,

The road trip sounds great, Congratulations.  I was wondering that once you are a certain age I thought you were only supposed to make Right turns not Left ??  I guess you’re not there yet.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Chet...

No Chet, You put your left signal on as you leave the driveway so as to remind you which way to turn when you get where you are supposed to be.  At least that seems how it works on the West coast of Florida.

OK Greg, That clears it up for me. Thanks !!!