Disc Brakes-1950 Desoto

50desotocoupe

Hello All,

I found out that all 4 drums on my Desoto are bad.  So, it is time to bite the bullet and upgrade to 4 wheel discs.  I have looked at multiple vendors who supply the brackets and then I would buy the calipers, rotors, lines, etc.  Do you recommend any one vendor over another?  Maybe PM with those thoughts. 

Thanks

I can't help with the rears, but I and many others have had great luck with the front kit provided by member Charlie Akers.  He uses the web rustyhope.com and sometimes olddaddy.  I used his kit on my Dodge P/u and had a few minor issues that Charlie worked with me to correct.  He even gave me his personal phone number so we could talk through the problem.  In short, he has a very simple kit that works very well (in my case with the original non-power master cylinder) and he has great service after the sale.  

• Like 1

Have you looked-into finding some decent drums ?

Unless you have re-powered the car with a hot V-8,  the drum brakes are adequate...

Just a thought - you might well find some decent drums for less $$$ / aggravation than a good disc-brake conversion would run...

The car really doesn't care how you get up to speed, L6 or V8, but you should care about how you will stop it.... Unless you have a #1 resto then adding better brakes is just cheap insurance against the idiot in the rice rocket stopping short in front of you.

Yeah, I understand about the idiot in the rice-burner stopping short,  but being able to better lock-up the stock skinny old bias-ply tires doesn't necessarly help you stop quicker / shorter / straighter.

To maximize the benefits of disc brakes,  then you really need to get wider tires ( or radials ), so now you're into new rims and tires, etc.

Your cars, your own unique situations... just throwing-out some food for thought.

Jim Yergin did an axle transplant in his Plymouth woody and wound-up with rear discs as part of the deal... he might be a resource.

the only draw back at times to upgrades and newer tires of radial design and wider rims is the inability to run the original caps unless you have full disc style.  Retrofitting a system to your car is a bit involved but as there are many suppliers for the basic adapters you can source your expendables in yards or big box/e-bay and come out good.  Modern wheels from donor cars are flat faced and very positive offset and stock 40-80 components just flat conflict due to hub design unless you do major upgrades on suspension.  The modern wheel is not at all hard to make retrofit either..quick and easy to do.  However there are many variables out there is correct pattern wheels in steel from the factory in various offsets.  Finding a set to do your task is just a matter of measurements.  My current buildl not only has the wider meatier tires and wider modern aluminum factory rims, but larger brakes front and rear and also sports rear ABS brake system. 

Oh trust me, I shouldn't have decided to go with different wheels.....slippery slope.  I had to press studs into the drums because the new wheels wouldn't work with lug bolts....well, apparently I didn't press them in correctly which screwed up the drums.....  it is like a bathroom remodel that starts with a new faucet...lol

Here is a before and after picture....just need to put the rear bumper back on after it was straightened.

post-6108-0-22736400-1375900767_thumb.jpg

post-6108-0-27772900-1375900772_thumb.jpg

post-6108-0-01322800-1375901178_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Lokking a Hollender part interchange book it looks as though you can only use desoto brake drums from 1950-1955 6 or 8 cyl.

except 8 passenger, suburban and estate wagon.  :rolleyes:

Pretty narrow search!

Good luck! ;)

Doug

I'm not as certain with the '49 & later flatheads, but '48 & earlier, the De Soto shared running-gear with the Chrysler six...

Since Chrysler did offer sixes through '54, i would expect they shared brakes with De Soto, except where the long-wheelbase models were concerned.

Someone with a Master Parts Book would be able to confirm this...

Lokking a Hollender part interchange book it looks as though you can only use desoto brake drums from 1950-1955 6 or 8 cyl.

except 8 passenger, suburban and estate wagon.  :rolleyes:

Pretty narrow search!

Good luck! ;)

Doug

• 1 month later...

I wanted to give a quick update on my disc brake conversion. 

I bought the kit from aajbrakes.com.  Roger (owner) sent me the parts list and I bought everything from my local Napa, the brackets and instruction sheets came from Roger. 

I started on the rears as I figured they would be the easiest and most straight forward.  I had the hub removed from the rear drums and lug studs pressed in.  So far it is going great.  I replaced the flexible brake line from the body to the rear axle (it is from a 1953 Firedome if anyone is looking for it?.  I also bought new hard brake lines and bent them up.  The drivers side is complete, I just need to stop and get a couple of other parts today (for some reason I can't find them in my garage......figures).  I also bought speed bleeders at the same time. 

So far I am very impressed with his kit!  Very high quality brackets and he is always there to take my call when I have questions. 

Matt

post-6108-0-96774800-1380120809_thumb.jpg

post-6108-0-31461500-1380120892_thumb.jpg

post-6108-0-80707500-1380120902_thumb.jpg

I always thought desoto had lugs like dodge and chrysler..........?

My 39 Desoto has all right hand threaded lug  bolts on all four wheels. The Dodge and Plymouth used Lug Nuts in 39 .

Later on Desoto and Chrysler used right and left threaded lug bolts.

So a 46-48 Chrysler and Desoto right rear drum can be used on the 39 Desoto either on the right or left. Taken from my Hollander book on interchange.

FYI

Rich HArtung

Thank you guys, I really appreciate the insight!!!  I can't wait to have it back on the road....miss driving it!!!!

I'd miss it, too! I like the car and its stance. Looks like the work is going well. I'm glad you are pleased with the kit.

I am 98% done with the passenger side disc brake upgrade.  All I need to do is tighten everything down and move on to the fronts.  I am very happy about how "simple" this has been so far.  It may not be original but in the long run will be better as a driver.  I am saving all my parts in case the next owner wants to take it back to stock.  I will continue to post more pictures of the fronts as I go along in the process.

post-6108-0-37350900-1380289418_thumb.jpg

post-6108-0-44623400-1380289428_thumb.jpg

post-6108-0-26582700-1380289510_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to give a quick update on the disc brake upgrade.  The rears are buttoned up and ready to be bled (it was a very straightforward process). I pulled the fronts  apart last weekend and am getting ready.  I took the steering arms to the machine shop to have the holes enlarged to 5/8.  I also have to grind off about 1/4 of the tie rod because of the caliper bracket and then use a 5/8 18 tap to thread the spindle holes. It should be straightforward from there.  Then hopefully all I need to do is bleed and go. 

I am not sure who else has done a front and rear disc brake upgrade on their 40's and early 50's era Mopars.  I would like to hear from people that have to see how they liked the upgrade.  I am looking forward to getting them done and getting the car back on the road. 

Someone with a Hollander's might want to took up the possibility of swapping backing plates from a more modern mopar with drums  I believe I read somewhere where someone adapted the backing plates, internals and drums from a late B body or full sized Mopar to the front of a P15 or D24. This might be a reasonable swap for some one who needs to find an alternative for very difficult to find vintage parts.

i actually thought about that when I found out my drums were no longer usable.  I think for a concourse quality car it makes sense to keep the drum brakes.  I decided that based on the cost (I will end up spending about $1200) for front and rear disc upgrades it was perfect for me especially since I plan to drive this car to shows, road trips, etc.  Plus, with all the inattentive people on the road we need all the help we can get with stopping our old barges....lol.

Greg..while I have not looked, the very style rear axles and such were used through 64...complete with the taper axle....I have no doubt that one could retrofit a early B floating self adjusting brake back to these older axles...but as you still have the taper axle and ratios not becoming to the modern highway..I just never figured it advantage to mess with them in this manner..some Dana 60 rear axles still used the tapers right into the 70 that I have knowledge of..some with disc brakes already installed..