Re-Newing Bearing Surface

wings515

During my rework of my 1939 rear end I discovered the universal splined coupling had a slight wear ridge at the gasket location.  I replaced the seal, filled the oil, and turned the read downward to check for leaks,  In the morning there was a puddle on the floor.  I recalled seeing a device made by SKF called a "Speedy Sleeve".  You purchase it by size.  I got one direct from SKF with a mean dimension of 1.875".  It comes with an installation tool to press it onto the damaged shaft.  It only increases the overall diameter by .010".  Any seal can take that increase in size.

After installation and another new seal, I again flipped the rear end over for another test.  To my great surprise, there was no leaks.  It cost about $40 but it saves a badly worn shaft without machining.

I spoke directly to the SKF supplier and told him the size I needed.  It was drop shipped direct to me.

For my application, 1.875", the sleeve will fit 1.873" to 1.885".

This was a great find to provide a new bearing surface for relatively little expense.

Hope this helps some other people doing restorations.

Regards,

I did the speedy-sleeve thing on my pinion seal, but it failed,  The sleeve comes in various depths(front-to-back), and mine was not deep enough.  Maybe the seal is contacting the old surface rather than the speedy-sleeve.  

The speedy-sleeves are supposed to come off easily if heated, so I'll have to replace it with a deeper seal.  But I hate to go through it all again.  

I had my wife step on the brakes so that the wheels would not roll when I cranked on the nut to remove the flange. 150 to 300 something foot pounds, and then have the nut line up with the hole for the cotter pin.   Pain.