Trans Problems

SSD

Ok i have been reading and recherching a 5 speed trans swap in my 47 dodge truck and i can safely and without a doubt that i am more confused now than when i started so the question what is the simplest trans swap 

Hi;

I looked at this for my 52 a while back. I came to the conclusion that there really isn't a simple transmission swap. They all require a fair amount of work and you have to be very careful selecting the correct components. It seemed to me at the time that a T5 swap was probably the easiest as several members had done them and there are adaptors available. I am sure some of these fellows will chime in with the details. I opted to do a relatively simple rear axle swap which netted me 3.55 final gearing and disc brakes. I figured if this did not satisfy my driving requirements entirely.... I could always do a trans swap later and I would already have better brakes.

Hope this is of some help. I am probably not telling you anything you don't already know. Mods to these trucks are not quite as simple as some of the bolt and go kits available for other makes.

Jeff

by reading all the available tech info supplied by the various people doing these swaps, you atone can only decide what is best for you, your truck and your tool/skills for executing the job...we have had many instances of one person doing a given mod in a couple of  hours while the next man struggled a bit.  More than not you will buy an install kit from a supplier complete with appropriate clutch disc.  I would be careful to choose a supplier that will be there for guidance and such on the install should you hit a snag.  Ask of install instruction first if you wish to review the steps, recommended mods for mounting and other concerns such as linkage, speedo cables etc.  The kit supplier should  not have any objections to this.

buying the trans adapter and associated clutch and other related parts included is just one stop shopping more or less..it should be as close to a bolt in you can find...some find getting this stuff from another source say a big box store may be a bit cheaper but one will need the right part number to do this...kits usually make it easier..again however I will stress you discus any issues with the supplier before committing to their product....

I guess what im asking is that some people have used a adapter to a t5 and some didnt what the difference 

Some of that is also car vs truck. The trucks have a much larger bell housing and it can be drilled and tapped to the T5 bolt pattern. The car one isn't large enough for this. Then for the truck you need a bushing for the throwout bearing to make it smaller ID to match the T5. You need a chevy pilot bushing and clutch disk and then a spacer ring so the T5 is a tight fit into the bell housing opening.

Because the little guy wraps up at 40-45 an od will make it more drivable 

I agree on making it more drivable but I don't think your truck should be wrapped up at 40-45. I drove my truck almost 200 miles today at 60mph with the stock 3spd 16in tires/wheels and a 3.90 rear gear.

If he has the 4.78 rear gears, she's wound up tight enough to pop by 50, and will at 60. That's why my 49 truck  has a 48 P15 sedan engine...

Easier and cheaper to swap in a Dakota, Ranger or Cherokee rear axle. 3.55 or similar is about as high as you want to go. 4 u-bolts, 2 spring mounts and maybe a u-joint, and it's done. Your factory rims will still work, but may require a thin spacer to get the right offset if you use a Ranger axle.

I agree on making it more drivable but I don't think your truck should be wrapped up at 40-45. I drove my truck almost 200 miles today at 60mph with the stock 3spd 16in tires/wheels and a 3.90 rear gear.

If he has the 4.78 rear gears, she's wound up tight enough to pop by 50, and will at 60. That's why my 49 truck  has a 48 P15 sedan engine...

Easier and cheaper to swap in a Dakota, Ranger or Cherokee rear axle. 3.55 or similar is about as high as you want to go. 4 u-bolts, 2 spring mounts and maybe a u-joint, and it's done. Your factory rims will still work, but may require a thin spacer to get the right offset if you use a Ranger axle.

This is exactly why I hinted at an axle swap as an alternative. There are a lot of benefits to be gained from this.....better ratios for todays road....better brakes like the 12" discs I gained......and much easier to get repair parts. Doing an axle swap like this may not address every driving condition.......but it is in my view a relatively inexpensive and simple enhancement that gives me more features for the money than a trans swap alone.