Od Transmission

Greenbomb

When I took my OD transmision apart for repairs and removed the countershaft gears, the thrust washers all fell off before I was able to note which way they fit. According to my manual, there  is a thrust washer and a thrust washer plate on each end. Am I right that the thrustwasher plates are the steel ones and the thrustwashers are the bronze/brass ones? It seems to me that the bronze ones would go between the case and the steel washer with the ends of the needle bearings contacting the steel unit. Anyone know for sure?

Steel washers next to the case as spacers, bronze toward the countershaft gears to act as a bearing.
I had the same problems with an OD trans as I took it apart and had the same problem. Parts books/repair manuels were not clear on this. Was doing a second OD trans rebuild at the same time but had not got that far with the second one yet so I very carefully removed the said parts very slowly to check positioning. My guess was wrong as was yours. Bronze= bushing against gears/ steel washers as spacers.
:cool: Check all parts carefully and slowly, noting positioning of all, particurly in the OD section attaschments to main case! If I hadn't had two at the same time to compare I would have been up the wellknown creek too many times!! :confused:

Best to ya,

Doug

Ok now anyone know where I can get a new kickdown switch for the trans? Mine sat in the dirt too long rusted. Also could use the bracket for the head mounted kickdown system. I have the switch and the linkage but that was gone.

1949 mercury kick down switch is what i used, its a little longer neck on it but all the same function, plus they are around $20 at most parts houses. I also just fabricated a bracket out of some plate steel, just loaded it into a vice and beat it to fit and painted to match...

That part I've got. I need the transmission mounted one. I called it the wrong name. I believe its a rail lockout switch. Looks just like a trans mounted back up light switch.

Bronze washers go next to the case. The steel washers always to the gears. Honest.

Bob

That interupter switch #1370462 fits both the R10 OD and Chrysler/Dodge and Desoto M-6 transmissions. A common switch. I see them on ebay quite a bit. Neil riddle has them too.

This is correct. Check the parts book. 

Oldsheimers strikes again! Checked repair manuels and I was definety wrong! :(

Just hope that mine are installed correctly and a bad memory is the only thing wrong. :huh:

Sorry all!

Doug

Doug I suggest you edit your original post in case someone comes along and doesn't read all the way to the bottom. I ordered one of those switches off ebay. Roadking Thanks for the post.

Well, the new revised info goes along with the wear on the steel washers from the needle bearing ends, so I will go with that. Thanks, all. As for the kick down switch, I'm gonna do the Pete "Blueskies" thing with the button on the gear shift knob.

Doug I suggest you edit your original post in case someone comes along and doesn't read all the way to the bottom. I ordered one of those switches off ebay. Roadking Thanks for the post.

DONE!!

Thanks for the reminder to do it that way also!!

Thanks Ed!

Not sure about George's price but this is the best I've found online

FYI the listing is a little misleading. The picture shows a mopar box but you are really getting an aftermarket piece. Looks identical to the mopar one though.