What Engine Have You Built Your Most Proud Of

48Dodger

Of course this includes an engine someone else built for you.

I thought it would be fun to hear what motors made you the proudest, the motor that made you smile the biggest and lead you to say "yah, the paint is nice , but let me pop the hood and show you this!"

And I have to mention the thrill of the first motor you had a hand in firing up for the first time counts too. You may not have own it, but by golly, you helped breathe life into that cold pile of steel.

For me, the 408 stroker currently in my 50 PH is the one I'm most proud of. That motor has been in my 72 Charger for circle track racing, been on the drag strip and raced down the salty course of Bonneville many many times. It's an ugly, battle ready, no frills motor. No chrome, no billet, no BS......you only know what its made of when it bears its teeth. I've been fortunate enough to have had some nice big blocks and the sort over the years, and have blown a few up in the heat of racing.......but that 408......it really has brought the fun, time and time again. The big profile cam, the 850 double pumper, the torque....a lot good times. :)  

48D

I'd say that mine was a Corvair engine that I had in high school. It was my daily driver. It was a 140hp with 4 1bbl carbs on it. The engine was a little tired when I bought the car, so I rebuilt it .060 over with a mild cam. It looked all original but it had a little pep. In high school I drove a little spirited. I had the engine in and out 9 times in one year. I actually bought a spare engine to swap in it while I was doing repairs on the other. I was consistently floating valves and bending valves. I was always blowing head gaskets too. I soon realized it wasn't so fun to keep fixing it all the time. It was a nice car, I bought it was I was 15 to fix it up to become my daily driver. It actually won a couple trophies at some Corvair shows. 

Here's a video of it running. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awmrf4xWv60

post-3516-0-95770000-1374894533_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-71204800-1374894540_thumb.jpg

I'd say it's the '57 230 that's in my '52 Cambridge.  I bought it because the original engine in my car was stuck from sitting and wouldn't free-up.  The 230 motor was in a '39 Dodge for a while and I had to re-configure the maniifolds and linkages to fit the '52.  It felt real good to hear it start for the first time.

I've had a number of them that were memorable and can't pick which of those I was the most proud of. Hi-perf 289 in a 65 Mustang that was updated with an aftermarket alum 4 bbl man and 750 cfm carb, Lemans grind cam that would wind to 8 grand, the 426 cu inch diesel in an Allis Chalmers D21 factory rated around 120 hp that pulled 172 hp on the dyno, the Minneapolis Moline tractor I got running the day after it was brought to me after the previous mechanic had it for over a year and couldn't get running, the flathead V8 ford in a 51 ford pickup with Smithy muffler or the 318 in my B3B. Each of them had a different sound. I've built dozens of engines over the last 40 years but only a few of them make music.