1954 Plymouth Suburban Project

pflaming

Well I’ve gone around once, next the roof, then concentrate on some serious areas.  I’m amazed at how much old wax, years of evaporated dew, etc all slowly baked there is. I took it to the original paint, which is solid and very hard.

Casper50 is coaching me. When prep is done, then to MAACO. By using their color(s) and find a long tIme painter and it should turn out presentable. 

797749A3-1ABA-40DE-B478-6DAB14FA3227.jpeg

0422062E-3AA4-493A-9324-909565AC27CF.jpeg

To dodgeb4:  you requested that my coupe should not be parted out. It is advertised at $600 including an engine and transmission. That is a very fair price, yet have yet to receive a call.

Yesterday at the car, I noted I could swap the dentless hood and passenger door and cut and paste in one quarter panel and save myself a heap of work so I will do that. Since the parts are swapped, the car will remain complete. 
      Once I have made those changes, I will GIVE the car to anyone who will commit to rebuilding/ restoring it. That person will be responsible for shipping wherever.

2BD88937-CB4D-4917-8293-C63FDBCBE14D.jpeg

40BAB7A9-341C-481B-A976-8CDEE0B4F892.jpeg

BFC23C81-4AE8-4C1F-AF87-6F83EF6D05AA.jpeg

Edited by pflaming

Why can’t you just leave the coupe alone? Once you start swapping good parts for bad and start cutting it, it becomes much less desirable with less chance of someone taking it on as a project. 

Personally, I would just sell the suburban as is. Whoever buys it is likely to make changes anyway. That would really save you time and work. 

Edited by RobertKB

I doubt it would sell for much as is. What I’m going to do this week is : bleed brake lines again, complete a few wiring items,  mechanically safety check it on a lift, and get it to CHP/DMV and drive it as is with a small for sale sign. Then drive it everywhere to establish mechanical dependability. 
   You might be correct, with  a brief video of work done someone may want to personalize it. 
   TKS for the suggestion, you’ve been in this program for quite some time, so best I listen up a lot more.

IF I would tune the coupe’s engine and get the brakes to “work”, I could drive it as is.  That would not be much work, that would significantly change its value.

Your responses welcomed! 

68DCC618-3B02-4D84-90EB-EF140E980A78.jpeg

491AA219-1C95-450E-B4EF-416A2D7034DB.jpeg

Edited by pflaming

I agree with the video showing and explaining the work done to the suburban.

Often we look at a project car for sale, is almost  a determent. Have to worry about the previous work that was done, how much you have to redo ... rather have one that nobody touched.

So that video is also selling you and your knowledge, your passion for old mopar and your ability to work on them.

It would make the car more desirable to someone who would be interested in a project car.

I like the coo pay,  I do not know the full story on it or where you are getting parts and how many  you have for it.

Your $600 price seems very reasonable to me if it runs and moves and has no brakes.

Problem right now is the market.

Paul my advice, worth exactly what you paid for it ... You are keeping your truck? spend your time on it. Get the motor swap done, use any parts you need to get it in the best shape you can. Time is more valuable as we get older.

No matter what you do too the "coo pay" You may never sell it. Even giving it away on this forum you may not get anyone to step up to the plate to pay transport ... I imagine would be $1k at least to ship to Texas.

You may have to turn a blind eye and offer it for free in your local area.

Leave the OD in the cpe and then you could easily sell it.

DodgeB4ya. I will leave the OD in it.. I won’t offer for sale until I can drive it, so hang tight. 
   Los, I may swap the engine next week. Our daughter and son in law will be here, so he can help get it done. They will get the truck, so he may as well lesrntoknow it beforehand. 

Gee Paul....

I thought we had a deal and I was going to get the truck?

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Haha 1

Dr won’t give me the next cortisone shot until Nov 6, so things are very slow again. Hate to say it, but likely another new knee next year. 

on a different note, I went back and read notes written five or more YEARS ago. I was VERY, VERY, GREEN, did and said things that were likely more entertaining than enlightening. 

I am still very green, just a few shades darker. But I’m still here and even at times “not all there”.  My regards to all. 

• 1 month later...

Step 1 : Drive it

Step 2 : Drive it again

Step 3 : Repeat step 1 & 2

Insert smile when appropriate........

..... or inappropriate.  Enjoy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My age has caught up with me, much slower but wrenching most days. Suburban is about ready, little tine wasting items. Like the tail lights, all are NOT same, so a lot of time wasted until I remove them and found why one would not receive the bulb unit.

Removing and replacing the ‘53/54 taillights is a tediously, tight task.

81D1E6C0-FF5F-4777-A39C-1307A3829B03.jpeg

51CC6C07-1906-4957-AA18-153C608AF1E0.jpeg

Good to see you still on this as times are getting hard on you.  Cold weather sure does not help!

Some of that here also.

Take care and blessings to you,

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
Spelling corrected,

On 12/10/2020 at 6:37 PM, pflaming said:

Update. You all know it takes a lot of time and work to get this far. Still have some trim to attach. 

090F006B-07BD-4FA3-9A1C-C482A001C0DB.jpeg

I absolutley love it. What a great thread going back 8 yrs!.

heres a pickup version courtesy a 12 pack and a sawzall. circa 1970

blue Max.jpg

A couple of items since I last posted. As noted, I repainted the dash looks better with the exterior, I’ve aligned the hood also, since this photo. I need those park lights, seem hard to find.  

D2204E27-A959-4CCA-AD5B-69C0BB8C2C92.jpeg

8AFF344C-2FB5-43C9-8D45-E74C4A8ED261.jpeg

64E98288-89A3-42A9-9C38-ECE97A53BAE5.jpeg

I noticed that in several photos, 53 Plymouths appear to have two different styles of tail lights.....the one on the drivers side seems to have a larger bottom area with more chrome.    Is the left one also a backup light?    However, this one has two matching taillights.  Is this a fancier model than the wagon?       Or did the non matching ones both have a tail light replaced  with one that was a bit different?     Just another mystery of life.     Those rear fender top trims appear  to be correct for a 53.   Your car is looking good.

1953-plymouth-cranbrook

Edited by BobT-47P15
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pflaming said:

A couple of items since I last posted. As noted, I repainted the dash looks better with the exterior, I’ve aligned the hood also, since this photo. I need those park lights, seem hard to find.  

D2204E27-A959-4CCA-AD5B-69C0BB8C2C92.jpeg

8AFF344C-2FB5-43C9-8D45-E74C4A8ED261.jpeg

64E98288-89A3-42A9-9C38-ECE97A53BAE5.jpeg

The shifters remind me of a "Twin Stick" shifter like on an old Mack.

But because they are so short that must be a Rambler twin stick setup?

Here is a picture of my '53 Plymouth Belvedere 4-Door. Belvedere 4-doors were only found in Canada I believe. (Note the trim on the front door). The rear fender trim is as shown in above posts and the car's rear taillights have back up lights also. Back up lights were an option and you need a different housing for them. Of the two types shown previously, you would need the one on the right.

802267AB-04B5-400B-BB00-FA87BB6B20AC.jpeg.ad03fa28767954b590434aa804218fb2.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB

tail light challenge resolved, Restarted the engine yesterday, getting ready to test drive today. 

taillight designs. In 1946 Dad bought a new Chevrolet sedan, it had a rear  windshield wiper, under the seat heater, and backup lights. The backup lights were not part of the taillights.

There were no cars from 1943 through 1945 because of WWII. Many of you weren’t around then. Gasoline, tires, flour, sugar, and other war needed items were rationed. No one complained! 

Question:  did the taillight/ backup combo start in 1953? 

2 hours ago, pflaming said:

Question:  did the taillight/ backup combo start in 1953? 

Pretty certain that was when the combo started. Never seen an earlier Mopar with the combination, certainly not in Plymouths.

Edited by RobertKB