1954 Plymouth Suburban Project

pflaming

I have only attached this clutch release, have not adjusted anything. Any tips on how to adjust, I will consult the manual, but recollection of past reading is that the manual is vague. The old adage "The devil is in the detail" is ringing too true just now. 

IMG_3085.JPG

I think you'll have to wait until the body is back on and mounts tightened down.  Isn't the body the pedal stop for both the clutch and brake pedals?

The master cylinder has the stops for the pedals on the cars. Pedal height is adjustable too.

Trucks... the floor pan is the pedal stop. No pedal height adjustment.

Long day today, I tidied up a lot of loose ends today and and installed new shocks. Tomorrow I will tow the chassis to the muffler shop for a new muffler and tail pipe install. 

To tow, I have a 2" pipe with a log chain though it. I hook the chain ends so that the pipe is near snug at both ends. Now the towed vehicle does not need to have brakes, the pipe is the key. 

IMG_3117.JPG

Edited by pflaming

I'd rather rent, or buy, a tow dolly for something like that. Or, you can usually pick up a tow bar, fairly inexpensive, that can be attached to the front frame rails of the project car. Towing with a chain and second person on the towed vehicle is a LAST resort for me.

51 minutes ago, pflaming said:

It's also a good way to teach my grandson how to steer a car. 

You might want to do some checking on that if he doesn't have a drivers license. 

Hope you don't get stopped by the police. Ticket for sure.

Hope you don't have to stop suddenly or hit something. Grandson insured for sure.

Do it properly and protect yourself, your car, and most importantly your grandson.

Where I live, doing what your are planning would result in a huge fine and possible loss of licence.

• Like 1

Seat belts on the towed vehicle??

DJ

More rubber mounts. I read the old, tired, steering gear mounts sent noise into the cabin, so . . . Easy to replace now. I knew frame off was very advantageous but did not fully understand, first it's so much easier, still hard work, but I think it results in better workmanship as well. 

IMG_3127.JPG

I do not like result of an accident and a live electric fuel pump, so I have installed this oil pressure switch to eliminate that issue. Has anyone used something similar and with what results?

i will run my oil gauge off the top of that "T" connector. 

IMG_3135.JPG

Edited by pflaming

The oil pressure, fuel pump interlock is a good safety feature, my 86 Nissan pickup is set up that way from the factory.  You will want to use a relay for the fuel pump so the oil pressure switch operates the relay and relay carries the current load for the fuel pump.  You will also want some sort of over ride so you can prime the carburetor when the engine is not running.

I started on a different Suburban then page 21, I switched to this one so only on this car since January of 2014. The pictures of the blur/red truck and engine were taken the day before my shop burned. So since then I have rebuilt the truck again and worked this Suburban to its current status. In that time period I had a full knee replacement, so the time has been "railroad time."

On 5/26/2018 at 9:41 PM, kd1975 said:

Did this rebuild actually start 5 years ago??

Why does it matter......I know people who have taken 10, 20 years or even longer, some never finish and are perfectly content to fiddle fa#t around the garage as an escape.

KD 1975, there are vacations, two surgeries, etc in that time frame, so. . . . That is how it goes. So these days I do one more thing minimum, that's my new normal.

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

We purchased tickets yesterday to fly to Maine on the 19th for 20 days. I'm tired and sore so a rest is in order. Then return finish it but wlll not be n a hurry to sell. Will enjoy it for a while, just too much work spent not to enjoy it. A Mare Island Naval entry sticker is on the front bumper, will drive it there and try to find that owner.

Casper50 and I regularly chat early a.m.'s. This morning during a discussion I decided to keep the Suburban, build it for myself and enjoy it. So will do just that at a leisure pace. So with an overdrive, which I have, possibly an upgraded distributor and eventually an AC unit, this will be a great car for me.

This thread is my personal journal which I share with who may be interested. At some point I will down load it, edit that material, and put that material in the glove box. Will do the same with the truck. For those under 80 years old, enjoy while you can, because tired muscles will eventually come to you also. 

IMG_5525.JPG

Edited by pflaming
Added to the message.