1954 Plymouth Suburban Project

pflaming

I started on Friday, just did something each day and today the frame is in the shop. Two Ibuprofen in the morning and one at night has really helped. I had use of a very good pressure STEAM cleaner, it really cot off a lot of rust.

IMG_2942.JPG

8 hours ago, pflaming said:

I started on Friday, just did something each day and today the frame is in the shop. Two Ibuprofen in the morning and one at night has really helped. I had use of a very good pressure STEAM cleaner, it really cot off a lot of rust.

So that's your secret Paul!!!

I have been packing another shipping container full of hospital / educational charity equipment at my shed for the past couple of days and I have been using cans of beer at the end of the day/s to cure my old aching body. Ibuprofen you say hey! :D  I only have 4 shipping containers going between now and the end of 2018, so I'm now thinking that I need to visit my local drug store!!!

Question: I've been looking for a source for the body to frame bolts and rubber cushions. Will need them next week. I took the day off. second question, I have a 3.9 rear axle with drums that have stub wheel mounting bolts. Can I swap those drums? 

2 hours ago, pflaming said:

Robert, found the mounts in Roberts. NEW KIT, BOLTS. MOUNTS, ET, AL., $296.00, Double Ouch! Takes twenty mounts for the Suburban. 

Suck it up, do the job......I got my mounts long ago from Mitchell when he was still doing business at a more than significant lower price....PAY TO PLAY at its finest here boys.  I am not aware of a supplier with lower cost, you may luck upon a person who abandoned a project selling residue of this intentions to do well.

Roberts.                $9.00 a pair, 20 pair required. I have ordered from here before so placed my order here

Andy B.                  $9.00 a pair

Steele.                    $10.60 a pair

It saves a few bucks to check around. Sometimes Steele is the less expensive. 

IMG_2942.JPG

Edited by pflaming

13 minutes ago, pflaming said:

Roberts.                $9.00 a pair, 20 pair required. I have ordered from here before so placed my order here

Andy B.                  $9.00 a pair

Steele.                    $10.60 a pair

It saves a few bucks to check around. Sometimes Steele is the less expensive. 

IMG_2942.JPG

If they come as a pair doesn't that mean you only need 10? You've got 10 marks on your pic

Edited by Young Ed

Fortunately I have NOT placed my order. Eight mallets at $3.00 each will provide me the discs I need and I will have 8 handles too boot. $24.00 vs $180.00. TKS FLASH! 

IMG_2944.JPG

Edited by pflaming

1 hour ago, pflaming said:

Fortunately I have NOT placed my order. Eight mallets at $3.00 each will provide me the discs I need and I will have 8 handles too boot. $24.00 vs $180.00. TKS FLASH! 

IMG_2944.JPG

:rolleyes::huh: Guess you do not plan to keep the car.  Buyer beware.

Ya get what ya paid for!

DJ

To the skeptical, the body cushions are formed runner of specified density, That known, any rubber with that density can be used. It would be interesting to test foreign cushions density vs nos. Rubber elasticity is also measured in durometers, I think. 

Therefore, I'm going to test the mallet according. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

My opinion, for what it’s worth... Spend the money and do it right the first time. 

Totally agree!! There's a time and place to save money. This is not one of them. You've gone to the trouble to remove the body so do the job justice!

Edited by RobertKB

I would be very surprised to find any repo rubber parts that were a material match to an original.  I mean, just look at what happens to even tires from the Orient.  Early cracking, poor wear etc.  I think we're lucky to get parts the same size, never mind hardness and flexibility. 

Yeah, I know I'm a cranky old cuss and don't trust offshore vendor sources.  But that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I'd try a lot of things before paying the exorbitant prices of some rubber parts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, not ready to mount yet, but did DA sand with 80 grit and treat the passenger side with a rust inhibitor. Will finish tomorrow. The surface result is really nice, all ready for paint. Will push it into the alley early one morning to paint. Probably a satin black. 

IMG_2974.JPG

IMG_2975.JPG

• Like 1

The frame is painted. I DA sanded, Jasco rust inhibitor, and three coats of glossy black. Not a perfect job, but will be more than sufficient for most. 

IMG_2995.JPG

• Like 3