Steering Box Insulators

dennish6020

I rebuilt the steering box on my Dodge d24 The car appears to be original There are no rubber insulators  between box and frame Can anyone tell me if they are necessary or if some vehicles came with out them. I replaced the four insulators in the pitman arm all parts are from Andy Bernbaum and seem to fit and are good quality

Thanks Dennis

1047 Dodge WC

1948 Dodge D24

• Like 1

Are you sure that LHD cars didn't have the triangular rubber isolators?..........the last set I bought came from Turkey, yep, THAT Turkey where mopar had a parts centre and specific RHD cars would have been thin on the ground.........as far as I know these where a standard fitment, same part number just installed reversly(is that a word?....lol) at least up to 1948 and possibibly later.......andyd

Not sure, as the P15 parts book does show a pair, 684980 and 684981 with no RHD designation.

That is the same number for the ones on the Dodge. I checked , the RHD is for right  hand drive, but suspect maybe it means they can be used on both left and right hand drives? 

Yep, as the actual steering boxes are a mirror reversed item, so too are the isolators, they are both slightly different to each other, one goes between the steering box and chassis, the other between the chassis and the outer plate............there is also 6 thin pressed steel "washers" that fit over the molded rubber locating lugs on the isolatots  and help to center the isolators onto the chassis.......it is possible to install them without removing the steering box from the car, at least it was on my 1941 Plymouth, just had to undo the 3 steering box mounting bolts, gently prise the box away from the chassis with a large screwdriver, remove what was left of the old isolators and install the new ones with the washers from the old rubber.....it might be an idea to superglue the washers onto the new isolators to hold them onto the rubber in the limited space and even coat the new isolator with some rubber lubricant if there is not a lot of space but installing them made a big difference to the steering feel of my car..........regards, andyd    

I may be missing something but from photos ive seen on the forum the insulators are installed flat side to the frame. can anyone tell me the proper instalation proceedure.do the washers fit over the protrusions and fit into the bolt holes in the frame. does anyone have a vehicle without the insulators

Thanks

Dennis

Dennis, the washers fit over the protrusions that are molded on the rubber, its fairly straightforward when you see the pieces, the washers help center and support the rubber piece.........andyd

Thanks for all the help I think I understand the set up for my Dodge Steering box. I have the insulators from Bernbaum but do not have the three washers (Ferrels) or the three metal sleeves that fit over the bolts can anyone help me with these items. or maybe the measurements and I can make them

Thanks Dennis

D24s don't use the insulators between the steering box and frame, even though the P15s do. They have rubber insulators where the tie-rods attach to the sector shaft arm. My car's steering was unmolested when we got it, and it did not have them. You'll also find that there's no way to mount the D24 steering box with the frame insulator. I assume the insulators on the tie-rods of the frame is to make the car "smoother", and done due to the Dodge models being a "move up" from the entry level Plymouths.

• Like 1

This is an interesting thread.......I thought that all the mopar family would have used the rubber isolators, but maybe not........as for the metal ferrels or washers, I have just reused the old ones that were on the old rubber and they work fine..........the lack of these rubber isolators on the D24 dodge intrigues me as I would have thought these would have been a standard fitting on all mopars of this era............I learn something every day......thanks.............andyd  

Again thanks for the input My D24 was pretty much untouched when i bought it It did not have the insulators. The holes in frame are not large enough to fit the insulator, only the steering box bolts. If the insulators are installed it would move the box so the car would have to be re aligned. Do the cars with the insulators on the frame have the 4 small round insulators in the pitman arm ?

Dennis

James..........does your P15 use the rubber isolators?..........all the Oz Plymouth based mopars that I have seen up to 1948 at least use the isolators but I've never seen any Oz 40-48  mopar with the rubber things on the pitman arm..........andyd  

• 1 year later...