1948 Dodge Truck Oil Pan

I have a 48 Dodge B1 truck and am trying to replace the oil pan. I've taken out all the bolts and the oil pan drops down, but I cant wedge it out from under the truck. It seems to catch up on the stem that dipstick inserts into. I've tried every angle with no luck.

Any ideas?

OK, so I lowered the truck down and attempted to prop it up on the frame but my jack stands were too low to gain any type of clearance and I couldn't get it high enough. So, I took off to Harbor Freight and bought the taller ones. Back to the drawing board tomorrow. STAY TUNED!!!

I had to buy larger jack stands and that did the trick. I didn't have to take the wheels off.

I jacked it up, slid under the jack stands and let the jack down. Because the jacks weren't supporting the suspension anymore, the oil pan actually fell out. Now remember, I took all the bolts out a few days back. Well, I didn't remember and it scared the crap out of me when it slammed on the concrete. LOL

Thanks for all your help everyone. Now, I get to do some cleanup and bolt up the replacement.

• Haha 1

Great Job, Now you don't mark your spot that way anymore.

• 3 years later...

If you want a real slick trick, find one of those old scissor jacks that fold really low, I put one between the axle and the frame and wrenched it up, all the space you need and no wheels off or jack stands needed if you don't trust them.  I actually had two in mine, but one would have done it I think..I pulled the second one out before reinstalling the pan and it was fine

• 3 weeks later...

Got the oil pan off - - about an inch of sludge in the lower end of the pan.  I knew I was in trouble when I attempting to change the oil and nothing would come out.  I had to poke a hole through the crust to drain the oil.  Also found a part in the sludge.......

oil-pan-a.jpg

lost-found.jpg

That steering box re-enforcement rod.......mounts on the lower side of the  steering gear and goes over the Rt side of the  frame.

It needs to be removed for easy pan removal. It is an option on the 1-1/2 ton trucks ( Heavy Duty Service)