Input Shaft Needed

doctor dirt

Dropped off the shaft and odds & ends at the machine shop! The owner said it looked like residue from the chewed up bushing so the shaft should clean up nicely! He could make the bushings if needed for some where between 12. and 17. bucks! Sounds good to me, I'll call him around 7pm and see if there was any problems!

I need to find a gasket set to close up the tranny!!! I found a "rear seal/gasket" but not a gasket that goes around the case! Any guidance as to who may have this would be appreciated. I tried collectors, andy, silks, a.d., valley and deception with no luck! :mellow:  Give me a shout if you know where to find it!! thanx Doc.

Best Gasket lists their part 5076 as a kit for 1940-56 Chrysler products. They don't sell to individuals but you should be able to get that through any retailer who carries the brand. My local better auto supply carries them, so check with your local place. http://www.bestgasket.com/dt_pop_up_picture.asp?PartNumber=5076

Barring that, try Olsen Gaskets. http://www.olsonsgaskets.com/

TodF; Olsen deals with motor gasket sets, best gaskets hasn't any retailers near me but if push comes to shove I can order them through a store in Jacksonville!

Don, I'll be touching bases with George tomorrow about the bushings and the gaskets. I need to pull the numbers off the tranny case and will do that in the morning!

The machine shop told me the shaft cleaned up nicely the bushing did leave debris on it but no cuts or grooves!! I'll get the stock bushings and the only problem might be the tip of the shaft being worn abit or the interior of the bushing still mounted on the couplar being grooved out abit, we'll see! 

The machine shop wanted to know if I had specs on the bushings so I told them I couldn't even find them for a week hahahaha!!!! Another day of "search & find or not"

shel; collectors has none, Andy B, no dice!!! The hunt moves on!!! ;)  Doc.

Silke's in Jacksonville Fl came through with the bushings and a complete gasket/seal kit for the tranny! The machine shop has the shaft and couplar and everything should be ready to go back on the car when the parts arrive!! I'm hopeing by the beginning of next week the car will be home!!!! thanx guys, Doc.

Just got the gasket/seals package and one of the bushings from Silke, great condition both in original wrappings! Just waiting on the second bushing hopefully tomorrow!

In the couplar assembly there were pieces that needed to be soaked over night in lightweight oil!! I can't find the post that designated which ones get soaked. Does anyone remember where the post is or which pieces needed the attention!!! B)  Doc.

Wouldn't hurt to soak both the bushings before install and the rear seal if made with leather with light weight oil. If rubber don't bother.

Bob

Just got the last bushing via UPS and I'll drop it at the machine shop in the AM! The couplar should be ready for the mechanic on Tues. and hopefully his schedule isn't to heavy. Either way the car should be done some day next week!

dodgeb4ya; the soaked ones are the couplar parts I got from Andy B. these just need a little lube. The rear main was the metal/rubber variety. Just got my blackwall spare from Diamondback, very nice!

Well lets see what this coming week brings, I'm pretty worn out on this one. It was supposed to be a driver not a roller! Cosmetically very nice but we all know that don't get you home unless you live at the bottom of the hill! :P HA! Doc.

Edited by doctor dirt

Everything is back at the garage for assembly as of 11am this morning! The shop is busy but I think they want the coupe out of their BADDDDD!

Hopefully they start on it tomorrow and its finished this week. :)   Doc.

Transmission "rear seal" #part number needed, can't see the markings on the seal. Is it also refered to as a "out put" seal? I see Rockauto has an out put seal listed on line! Looks very simular!

Trans Fluid I used Ford #90 lube when I first got the car, seems fine! Should I use Kendal sae 10W non detergent in place of the Ford 90??? I'm using the Kendal in the couplar!!

Thanx again seems nothing rolls smoothly with this coupe'!      Doc ^_^

The Ford 90 and the W10 are viewed as comparible so I'm basicly asking for preferences! Thats all! I know the Ford 90 works!

Tranny rear seal is the "important" issue now. Their buttoning up the car and now its on hold until I find the seal!

Is "out put" seal another way to identify the seal, "rear seal"?  Doc

Hmmm..could you submit to the forum the spec sheet or website for this #90 lube oil by Ford..I have looked and looked for a reference to this with nothing found that would suggest compatibility with the fluid common to the coupler.  I am not saying it does not exist, only I cannot find it....if it is a common substitute folks here may well be interested in another later model source for this fluid...

Its at the garage now, I purchased it at Tractor Supply and is was a cross reference from a sheet with ISO 22 & 32 on it! The retail manager at Tractor Supply said they kept it in stock for a few of the old timers that ran older tractors to haul hay for the ranchers here!

I will get the specs or whatever is on the container. I sold in gallon containers, all black with FORD in large letters along with 90 Lube in the corner!

I ran for probably 400 miles all locally and the tranny was fine and was the only piece that didn't leak!   Doc

any parts number for the tranny rear seal?????

Edited by doctor dirt

OK that NAPA is avalible (two towns away)!!  I have an Auto Extra 8160-S in my hand (from Carquest) to be delivered to the shop at noon when the tranny guy gets in! Both the NAPA and Extra aren't as tall (laying down) but I doubt thats a concern, might be wrong! The specs are right on so I think its fine! Just talked to Chris at Andy B. and the seal is there too! Was getting ready to call George also.

I needed to try and have it in hand yesterday or today so I had to try the locals first. They started to button up the car so I wanted to try and not break their momentum.

If it has to be shipped in so be it but I'm trying to avoid the extra days the car won't be worked on. Again the shop owner has been very gracious to leave the car in side and allow it to tie up a lift. I suggested to put it out with a cover but he said it was fine in doors!

Hopefully this seal is ok, if not atleast I know I can ship one in! thanx guys I'll get that info on the Ford 90 Lube and post it! Doc B)

The tranny guy finally showed up (independant cus) and said the seal will work fine! Hooray!!!! :)

Ofcourse tomorrows another day but we're out of parts that are broken and need replacing!! Unless they break something putting things back together! :(

I think I'll wait a week or two before pulling the steering box to be rebuilt, just for the hell of it!! ;) Heres to an uneventfull conclusion to the leaks and bad clutch!

I just want to to drive the old bug and relax doing it! :cool:  thanx again to all of you guys, its much appreciated!! Doc.

• Like 1

TROUBLES!!!!

the couplar won't stop spinning!! They didn't fill it correctly, they used a pump and only put in 5 qts so their adding the 2+ now! I don't like the pump machine to use for a sealed unit because of the possibility of air! Not sure if that effects it or not!!

Any suggestions on the couplar spinning and not being able to get in gear? The plate that I had macined seems to spin freely also.

Being out of my element is starting to get very old now!

The garage just called and said its DONE!!! Really???

They were down a qt and a half in the coupler and once that was filled it engaged and everything is working and no leaks are seen!

I'll let them test drive it then get down there in a few hours and peak under the car and see if its wet at all! Hoping for the best!!!!

Its taken months to sort this car out and I still have the gear box to attend to but I'm waiting a few weeks to do it, just want to drive it!

thanx again, Doc

Picked up the coupe this morning and other than a slight growl moving into first the car runs out fine! The fellow doing the adjustments (linkage & clutch) asked me to come back on Sat am to readjust the clutch! 

Hoping theres a clean garage floor in the morning, don't mind some drops and spots with old cars but this car was leaving motor oil, coupler fluid and gas!!!!

Going to try and put a couple of hundred miles on the car this week and by the end of next week pull the steering box and get that sorted out!

Glad to see this car in my garage, its a nice looking car and is close to being tight & right!!! ;)  Doc

Heres the info on the sae 90 lube.

Traveller Ford Tractor Transmission Fluid.

API Service GL-1

............final drives,hydrallic systems, manuel transmissions between 1939--52!

My Tractor Supply has NO ISO 22 or 32 and the manager NEVER heard of them!! So I'm contacting Traveller and see if its on the menu!! Doc

ps cars running good, needs a clutch adjustment and will go into the garge on Tues AM! No Leaks so far!!!

For me, that link (I hate clicking on links, and usually don't) went to ebay: showing 4400 items to sort through.

EDIT: A link to tractor supply.  This looks like an item for use in a manual transmission. To me, it seems a bit thick for a fluid coupling.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/travellerreg%3B-ford-tractor-all-mineral-90-transmission-fluid-2-gal

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

GL-1 is for manuel trans boxes and can be found at Napa stores(may need to be ordered ,1 gal. containers only).

Search on this forum- GL-1, the Napa part # is in there! :)

For a Fluid Coupler with manuel trans behind that, many forum discussions can be found on correct oils that can be used.

Back in the early 70's we had a bunch of forklifts  that used the chrysler fluid converters with a manuel trans behind that (actually in front of, as engine and trans were front pointed) and we always just used GM type auto trans fluids in them.

Just my 2 cent!  ;)

Doug

I should have backed up the thread it is for the tranny!!! Thats what I used in the manuel tranny!

I put Kendal ase 10W non detergent oil in the coupler!!

Once again I spent some time at Tractors today and called the headquarters and they don't have any ISO 32 in their stores!

I think whats happened is Tractors now has an oil company making their oils and packaging them asTraveller and Traveller is the Tractor Supply brand name, NO iso 32!!!!  

I am trying to find "Mobile DTE (light circulating oil) ISO 32" .................Not in a 55 gal drum hahaha!!!! Its out there and I will talk with some local retailers about ordering it! I'm told the Kendal won't hurt anything but it actually might be the better oil for the tranny instead of the SAE 90????

For something that should be so simple to figure out there sure are alot of opinions and options. My problem is that nothing is avalible to me locally!

I will be at NAPA in the morning checking the size and avalibilty of the container for Hydraulic ISO 32, promise!!!!                                                   Doc

If the "couplar " :eek:  is full don't touch it! If it needs fluid #32 or 10W is what I have always used.