Something Doesn't Seem Quite Right...

Go to solution Solved by greg g,

I did a custom K&N air filter mod for my 52 truck Jeff and couldn't be happier. My air is now filtered through oil-impregnated K&N filter foam which I can wash out and re-oil at required intervals. It still looks like a factory oil bath air filter to any critic ...

Davin;

That is a first class job you have done there.Aint nuthin getting past that! ;)

If you stop and think about it an absolutely huge volume of air passes through an engine every time you run it. This air flow is by far the primary source for contaminents and abrasive particles that cause wear and scoring in an engine. It stands to reason if you can keep the air entering the engine as clean as possible it is going to last much longer.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Balazs

the oil is actually about 1/8" lower than the mark, but somehow it sucked oil up through the middle and into the carburetor. Not through the hair, but up the middle (between the top and bottom halves). odd issue really. anybody else ever have this happen?

I recently had this problem too. I had 30w oil in it, and I changed it 50w fixing the problem. 

• Solution

Is pedal to the metal WOT???  I ask this because I just dealt with my daughter's car, she complained about lack of acceleration. problems climbing hills, limited speed on the highway, and long and lazy shifts.  I found the trans was a quart low, I diddled with the TPS, and couldn't effect much change.  Then I looked at the throttle cable.  The lock nuts had backed off and the throttle plate was only opening just past half way with the pedal on the floor.  Couple turns of wrenches, and power and driveability restored.

Is pedal to the metal WOT???  I ask this because I just dealt with my daughter's car, she complained about lack of acceleration. problems climbing hills, limited speed on the highway, and long and lazy shifts.  I found the trans was a quart low, I diddled with the TPS, and couldn't effect much change.  Then I looked at the throttle cable.  The lock nuts had backed off and the throttle plate was only opening just past half way with the pedal on the floor.  Couple turns of wrenches, and power and driveability restored.

I hope I'm not the only one to overlook that... The aftermarket pedal in the truck had multiple positions, and it was set in a way that maybe 1/3-1/2 throttle the accelerator rod would hit the toe board, making it seem like full throttle. Fix that and it's like gaining a whole new engine!

Thanks for all the help guys!

-Josh

Has anybody found a decent radiator to put in a 1/2 tonner? I have the stock flathead, and a mustang radiator wont cut it! Aftermarket is definitely an option, just a question of what has worked for others? I think ive got $250-300 left in my project stash...

Thanks,

Josh

Great question Josh, My  ' 50 B2B radiator just started leaking as well. I'll be watching your posts and see what the group says.

i had a thought. We used the little mustang radiator because it was available and decent price, and with it the truck tends to get rather hot on warm days and at speed. The difference is, if you look at a stock radiator it has a large hose on top and small hose on bottom. We adapted the mustang radiator, it had larger on bottom. could that make a difference?

Hey guys, It's been awhile since the pickup got some attention on here, an my trip today to the flea market brought out some issues in it.

The mustang radiator in it is likely too small, doing 45-50 most of the way it was bordering on overheating on an 80 degree day, but like I said likely the dinky radiator. The real issue(s) are more to do with the engine itself.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/33625-something-doesnt-seem-quite-right/

Hey guys, It's been awhile since the pickup got some attention on here, an my trip today to the flea market brought out some issues in it.

The mustang radiator in it is likely too small, doing 45-50 most of the way it was bordering on overheating on an 80 degree day, but like I said likely the dinky radiator. The real issue(s) are more to do with the engine itself.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/33625-something-doesnt-seem-quite-right/

Ah, that thread. that was more figuring out why the thing wouldnt make beans for powert, which turned out to be the throttle rod hitting something *facepalm* and spider webs in the dizzy

If anyone would like, delete this thread and i will use the other one!

Ah, that thread. that was more figuring out why the thing wouldn't make beans for power, which turned out to be the throttle rod hitting something *face-palm* and spider webs in the dizzy

If anyone would like, delete this thread and i will use the other one!

Nope, you're fine. :)

Thanks ed, but thats a car radiator! The truck radiators are really tall compared to their width. The aluminum one i found should fit, just is it really any good?

Thats why I said measure. Besides we've got one truck thats been running a plymouth car radiator for years.