Something Doesn't Seem Quite Right...

Go to solution Solved by greg g,

Hey guys, It's been awhile since the pickup got some attention on here, an my trip today to the flea market brought out some issues in it.

The mustang radiator in it is likely too small, doing 45-50 most of the way it was bordering on overheating on an 80 degree day, but like I said likely the dinky radiator. The real issue(s) are more to do with the engine itself.

The truck seems to top out around 60-65, running a 3.55 rear end, and the engine is just stupid noisy at those speeds! 60 is pedal to the metal, which seems like it should do more... I remember the engine having more power than this too. The fuel mileage is in the toilet, maybe 10 mpg at best. Does anybody have any suggestions? I tried to adjust the valves but I don't think I'm very good at that...

Thanks,

Josh

EDIT:

It also seems to have this odd miss at idle, it doesnt act like one cylinder down, but like it just randomly misses on occasion.

i can't seem to get it to go away regardless of carburetor adjustment

Edited by 41/53dodges

I would say that is about correct for a 3.55 comparing it to the same rear I have in my 78 pickup with the slant 6. It'll do 60 comfortably but at 65 its starting to wind up.   Have you done a compression and leakdown test on each cylinder to see what is going on internally?  Do you have a brake hanging up?  Just some things to check.  Mike

I would say you've got something wrong and/or just aren't used to the noise they make. I do 60-65 easily with my 3.73 plymouth so your pickup with the 3.55 should do it even easier. 

There is definately something wrong, the engine seemed to be vibrating more, even at idle. Hopefully the valve adjustment helped some, plus I think the brakes may be hanging up a little bit. should be fixed tomorrow, but it really would be nice if it would cruise decently at 55-60. but it simply won't do it! it runs out of steam, plus does not seem to have the power it used to. keep in mind, Ive only known it with the 3.55

-Josh

Remember that the harder an engine works the greater the heat build up. Fix your other problems before you attack the radiator.

How is your ignition timing? Better to hear the valves slightly ticking. If they are adjusted too tight you will burn a valve. I have seen tight exhaust valves burnt so bad that not only is the valve and valve seat destroyed but also the engine block is destroyed beyond repair.

52' dodge B4B, 3.55 cherokee rear axle, 230 flathead with new rings 300 miles ago, 3 speed on the column. Original radiator was no good, so clearly if it fits in the hole it's good enough... Ignition timing is set to 4 degrees advance at idle, the valves still tick some but not nearly as bad, they were really loud to a point where it sounded like a diesel. With the little car radiator it will never work right as a real truck anyways, so that needs fixing.

Did it run well when first reassembled 300 miles ago?  How hot has it gotten?  Does it get hot quickly?  Did the power go away all of a sudden or gradually lessen over that period of miles?  Just rings or was it bored too?

I would say the power went away after the engine was all put back together, likely some adjustment. maybe it didnt like me taking the timing chain with 2" of slop out! it did run very well when first assembled however, just never really go the chance to road test it much. It has never boiled over, just gotten warm enough to a point of concern. It was honed and ringed, cylinders were still in good shape and checked out with a bore gauge (must have been cheap rings in it?) It did also recieve a different head that was shaved, but that shouldn't do this?

-Josh

I did just remember though that the points are the ones I got with it, certainly wouldnt hurt to replace!

Edited by 41/53dodges

Well I adjusted the valves again yesterday, .008 intake, .012 exhaust (hot) and it quieted right down. Today I tore into the distributor, the points were a little pitted, but not bad. The fun part was the centrifugal advance! it was completely covered in spider web! so that got all torn down and cleaned up. Timed it with a vacuum gauge, now it runs like a top, plus the engine seems much smoother at all speeds, and nearly silent at idle. But of course, every silver lining has to have a cloud. When I lay on the gas, the thing leaves an enourmous cloud of oil smoke behind it, and seems to do it at idle too. :mad: So now for a compression test, hopefully it didnt get damaged somehow...

There is a wall somewhere that should have an indent of my face on it,

All I have to say is, stupid oil bath air cleaner... :cool:

Cut the bottom out of the top of the air cleaner and install a paper filter from a Volkswagen Vanagon.

You'll also need to make a flat 'doughnut' shaped piece for the bottom of the base (where the oil would be).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-N-air-filter-A065A12-VW-Vanagon-86-91-yr-283-/130814886453?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e752cc235&vxp=mtr

There is a wall somewhere that should have an indent of my face on it,

All I have to say is, stupid oil bath air cleaner... :cool:

An inaniment object cannot be stupid. What are you saying here?  Oil bath air cleaners work great unless they are overfilled. Is that what you are saying?

Cut the bottom out of the top of the air cleaner and install a paper filter from a Volkswagen Vanagon.

You'll also need to make a flat 'doughnut' shaped piece for the bottom of the base (where the oil would be).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-N-air-filter-A065A12-VW-Vanagon-86-91-yr-283-/130814886453?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e752cc235&vxp=mtr

Or, cheaper and easier yet, read GTK's recent blog post: http://p15-d24.com/blog/9/entry-15-old-technology-doesnt-always-mean-obsolete-technology/

the oil is actually about 1/8" lower than the mark, but somehow it sucked oil up through the middle and into the carburetor. Not through the hair, but up the middle (between the top and bottom halves). odd issue really. anybody else ever have this happen?

the oil is actually about 1/8" lower than the mark, but somehow it sucked oil up through the middle and into the carburetor. Not through the hair, but up the middle (between the top and bottom halves). odd issue really. anybody else ever have this happen?

Too much oil...

With all due respect a much better fix is to use a K&N oiled gauze filter made for a 3.8 liter Toyota inline 6. All the air that flows through one of these is well filtered and they are not nearly as restrictive as a paper filter. Oil bath filters actually allows quite a fair amount of dirt through because the most of the air entering your engine flows over the oil rather than through it.

Do a test for yourself......run each one of these for 3 months and then clean them. You will be shocked by the amount of crud the K & N has caught.......and surprised by how clean the oil in the oil bath still is. If the oil bath worked anywhere near as well as the K & N it would be filthy too. When you clean the K & N go ahead an feel the grit that is released by the detergent......I promise you it is not something you want running through your engine. Filtering the abrasive stuff out of the air mixture entering your engine is probably the easiest thing you can do to improve it's lifespan.

Jeff

With all due respect a much better fix is to use a K&N oiled gauze filter made for a 3.8 liter Toyota inline 6. All the air that flows through one of these is well filtered and they are not nearly as restrictive as a paper filter. Oil bath filters actually allows quite a fair amount of dirt through because the most of the air entering your engine flows over the oil rather than through it.

Do a test for yourself......run each one of these for 3 months and then clean them. You will be shocked by the amount of crud the K & N has caught.......and surprised by how clean the oil in the oil bath still is. If the oil bath worked anywhere near as well as the K & N it would be filthy too. When you clean the K & N go ahead an feel the grit that is released by the detergent......I promise you it is not something you want running through your engine. Filtering the abrasive stuff out of the air mixture entering your engine is probably the easiest thing you can do to improve it's lifespan.

Jeff

I did a custom K&N air filter mod for my 52 truck Jeff and couldn't be happier. My air is now filtered through oil-impregnated K&N filter foam which I can wash out and re-oil at required intervals. It still looks like a factory oil bath air filter to any critic ...

post-3915-0-17643100-1373963581_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-70275600-1373963589_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-35222600-1373963598_thumb.jpg

I gutted my air filter to use a paper element because it was all rusted out from laying in the bed of my truck and filling with water before I got it. I initially used a paper element, but this winter I changed it to a K&N filter. I'm not sure what it is supposed to fit. I just matched up by size. It's a E-3270.

Merle

I did a custom K&N air filter mod for my 52 truck Jeff and couldn't be happier. My air is now filtered through oil-impregnated K&N filter foam which I can wash out and re-oil at required intervals. It still looks like a factory oil bath air filter to any critic ...

You wouldnt happen to know the model number for that filter or what it goes to, would you?

-Josh