New Ways To Lower The Rear End

Cpt.Fred

that's all very nice work there, but it's only possible on P15 frames, it appears,

since they seem to lack the massive X-member in the center of the frame and don' carry the battery in a

case under the driver's seat that is 100% in the way of any exhaust pipe possibly routed that way...

prewar frames don' seem to be that roomy unless you're willing to cut them up.

edit: self correction! all what i said above only matters if you want to get the car lower (back to topic),

because the biggest difference to the original in my case is that i rerouted the pipes THROUGH the frame

to get more ground clearance. if you walk down the original road and let them hang under the frame

you can pretty much do what you want, i guess...

i'm hungry for pics of your under-the-axle-exhaust, deathbound... ^^

Edited by Cpt.Fred

Nice to see that our old Mopar's are coming up in the world!!!  I am an addicted viewer of the HAMB and a year ago you didn't see anything that wasn't Ford/Chevy in our era of cars.  Now people are starting to dig them out of wherever and give them new lives.  We will still be the unusual cars at the cruises and shows.  :)

I was hoping to get mine done and at some car shows before the too many started popping up..(I love having something a slight different)   I went to The Grand National Roadster show here in Pomona, California a couple months ago and I must of seen 6-7 mild custom '36 - '41 Mopars.

Actually the last pic with the kid Im not sure if it was a Mopar or not?

post-4811-0-64028200-1397451975_thumb.jpgpost-4811-0-27043500-1397451976_thumb.jpgpost-4811-0-85238200-1397451976_thumb.jpgpost-4811-0-49393200-1397451977_thumb.jpg

I was hoping to get mine done and at some car shows before the too many started popping up..(I love having something a slight different)   I went to The Grand National Roadster show here in Pomona, California a couple months ago and I must of seen 6-7 mild custom '36 - '41 Mopars.

Actually the last pic with the kid Im not sure if it was a Mopar or not?

attachicon.gifGNR_Mopar_1.jpgattachicon.gifGNR_Mopar_2.jpgattachicon.gifGNR_Mopar_3.jpgattachicon.gifGNR_Mopar_4.jpg

I went also & seem to see more every year. Here are a few my kid & I took.........

post-3672-0-56036500-1397455697_thumb.jpg  post-3672-0-60550900-1397455586_thumb.jpg  post-3672-0-20379900-1397455863_thumb.jpg

Sorry to go off topic Fred.

Edited by deathbound

A few more.....1 off topic with my kid for a size reference.

post-3672-0-66369400-1397456055_thumb.jpg

post-3672-0-04614800-1397456126_thumb.jpg

post-3672-0-43348600-1397456149_thumb.jpg

Edited by deathbound

I am curious. why are the clamps installed nuts up? I always use an impact wrench to install these clamps as breakage is minimized over using a wrench.

Not sure Don, the muffler shop installed them like that & I didn't notice til you mentioned it. I'll look tomorrow. I agree, it's easier to access the nuts from below.......no smart remarks....I can hear them already!

:D  agreed... no comment.

no problem with some nice photos, they're not even that off topic since all pictured cars are pretty low...

only thing i'd say is that white '41 isn't "mild custom" at all... that's a full blown lead sled to me with tons of body and frame mods,

air ride and all... would like to know what's under the hood?

thanks a lot for the photos! i think i might change my exhaust a little this year and that under-the-axle-thing

looks great... do you have problems when you get the car up on jack stands and the axle touches the tubing when it comes down?

also, what diameter did you use? mine is 2" all the way.

i also think i might get drive shaft issues when i crossed over to the driver's side like you did.

great info here, once again, thanks a lot! :cool:

They may have put the clamps with the burrs up so they would not hook onto things like snakes, or worms, or flat head burn tracks!   ;)

Oh, for the younger set, it's bolts and burrs, not nuts and bolts. Got to learn to be more sensitive these days!  :D

1pmw.jpg

I am curious. why are the clamps installed nuts up? I always use an impact wrench to install these clamps as breakage is minimized over using a wrench.

When your car is low you need all the clearance you can get.

:D  agreed... no comment.

no problem with some nice photos, they're not even that off topic since all pictured cars are pretty low...

only thing i'd say is that white '41 isn't "mild custom" at all... that's a full blown lead sled to me with tons of body and frame mods,

air ride and all... would like to know what's under the hood?

thanks a lot for the photos! i think i might change my exhaust a little this year and that under-the-axle-thing

looks great... do you have problems when you get the car up on jack stands and the axle touches the tubing when it comes down?

also, what diameter did you use? mine is 2" all the way.

i also think i might get drive shaft issues when i crossed over to the driver's side like you did.

great info here, once again, thanks a lot! :cool:

Fred, I'm running 2" also. I don't think the axle came down on the exhaust the last time I had the rear up on stands....I would've remembered if it had. Looking at the pics I posted, it looks like the drive shaft rubs a little where it crosses over.....I'll have to address that.

They may have put the clamps with the burrs up so they would not hook onto things like snakes, or worms, or flat head burn tracks!   ;)

Oh, for the younger set, it's bolts and burrs, not nuts and bolts. Got to learn to be more sensitive these days!  :D

1pmw.jpg

Paul, I've never heard the term "burrs" for the clamps. I know there is a u-bolt w/2 nuts....is the "burr" the other part of the clamp?

After looking closer I suspect the clamps are bolted to a pipe hanger.

Don, correct, there is the metal bracket that is bolted to the flexible part of the hanger sandwiched between the pipe & clamp.

Hey Derek, what shop did your exhaust work?  I used to go to a really good shop in Long Beach years back but cant seem to remember. 

Advance Muffler on PCH in Long Beach.

The term 'burr' at one time was synonymous with 'nut'. Now that may have been a regional term but I grew up with 'bolts and burrs', not 'nuts and bolts'.  Maybe some one else who is a bit older can comment. 

Paul, I've never heard the term "burrs" for the clamps. I know there is a u-bolt w/2 nuts....is the "burr" the other part of the clamp?

Burr refers to the nuts themselves.  My father used the term.  I have no idea why they were termed as such.  Wickipedia doesn't define it that way either

Wicki does mention burr haircuts.  We had a burr mill for grinding feed years ago and had some burr oaks growing on the farm and it was something I said this morning when outside looking at  the fresh snow I didn't need or want.

So what is everyone's motivation for the dual exhaust?  Is a it style choice, perhaps based on how things were done in the past?  Or do you actually see a noticeable performance increase?

If you keep posting pics of those custom Mopars I'm going to lose my patience and start on the suspension before all the other stuff is fixed.  Man those look good!

motivation for the dual exhaust. . .  I have concluded that dual exhausts (1) allow for more air to faster escape thus a freer running engine that is if (2) dual carbs or such are also added so that  more air can get in! (3) and sound. I think those are the big three. 

For me and my liking for the flat head, that is not enough reason for the added expense, and that's not an indictment, just a personal preference. 

Edited by pflaming

Bmartin,

when i did my triple carb project and documented it here, the topic of dual exhaust was very well discussed...

the best comment regarding increased performance i can remember was:

"dual exhaust is like pissing in a wet suit - nobody notices, but it gives you a warm feeling." :)

i gained a full second on the 1/8 mile, but i did a number of little things to the engine,

and to be honest, i think the most effective was a good valve job.

if interested, read the full mess here: http://p15-d24.com/topic/22357-201-hop-up-project/?hl=%2Btriple+%2Bcarb

and of course don is right, bragging rights! and the sound is much better with a full split system.