New Andy Bernbaum

RobertKB

I see that Andy Bernbaum, under new ownership, is now advertising on the forum. I also received an email from the P15/D24 forum about this change and the fact that Bernbaum's is giving a 10% discount on all orders if you mention the P15/D24 forum. This runs to July 31.

I needed some new spark plug wires so I phoned to order. Order was taken quickly, service was polite, and the wires will go in the mail today. The 10% discount was given also. If you need anything for your vehicle, it might be worth looking at their online catalogue.

I am not promoting Bernbaum's over any other supplier but if prices are similar in their catalogues, 10% can be a nice saving.

• Like 1

I have been on this site on and off since it's inception and the previous one also. During this time most of my 20 or so posts have been bashing AB and my feelings haven't changed about him. This morning I had several exchanges with the new owner, and feel he deserves a chance to prove himself. I realize you guy's don't know me from a hole in a wall and I have no connection with the new owner but he comes across to me as a man of character. Hopefully customers will post there experiences doing business with him. 

I've never had any problems with my previous orders from AB over the past 15 years, but in the last one I received the wrong bearings.  I sent a carefully worded email that stated my frustration.  I got a call from Chris this morning to see if the replacements had arrived yet.  He explained his situation and came across very well as wanting to do the right thing.  I received the correct bearings soon after the call, and I will continue to use the services of the AB company.

Edited by moose

The first parts I ever ordered to begin working on my D24 were from AB 20 years ago (a shop manual).  No issues.  The last parts I ordered to work on the D24 a couple years ago were also from AB (steering box kit), still no issues - although I will concede that AB's beside manner could have used some work the last few times I ordered something (perhaps the encroachment of time?).  I'd found that a phone call was the best way to order with the old regime.  I was always a bit surprised when Forum members would discuss problems with him and his service.  I don't foresee needing anything for the ol' girl in the near future, but will keep an ear to the forum on how the new management works.

Thanks for the heads up.

I called today to order new motor mounts.  I'm trying not to use my credit card so I ask if I could send a Money Order.  He gave a price including the P15-D24 discount and shipping, and a quote number.  So tomorrow I'll send off the M.O. $67.60.

Edited by 48ply1stcar

I ordered a couple of parts from AB a few months ago.  I don't know who I spoke with, but the conversation was pleasant, and the parts were quickly shipped.  I have ordered from AB several times in the past, and have never had an issue.  I wouldn't hesitate to order from there again.

Wayne

The old Andy could be rather gruff --but seemed to know what he was talking about.

I have bought a few things from him over the years.......and the items were good and service OK as well.

Have taken note of several comments over time that at least some of the rubber products they sell.....such as

windshield and window mouldings.....were not of good quality and fit.  

Sounds like the new owner is a good guy and trying to please. 

"He got the junk yard attitude"

I think that is so true!! As my mini junk yard grows and I find myself fighting more bees and varmits.....I get a little "proud" of the part I've yanked out of there. Once in awhile you run arcross a guy who doesn't appreciate that hard work and/or changes their mind about what they want. That's when your skin gets a little tougher I think. I hope I never get to far gone, but there is something about those older guys who have a big junk yard and know where every nut and bolt is.....

As far as AB goes, I've had good luck with them and look forward to the new guys. Better then having the place shut down in my opinion.

48D

• Like 2

I've been to the new shop in Newton MA. Went for my head bolts last year. Place is well organizated, staff was very accomodating of my request to come and pick up the needed parts. I work in Framingham MA, 15 minutes away... I consider myself lucky to have a parts source so close.

I just spoke to two people over the weekend who have ordered parts from the New Burnbaum.  Both related that the parts received were not the ones ordered.  In one case the entire order and in the other a couple were wrong and the rest were correct.  Both fellows are working on P15's.  Both did say that when they talked to the company, that whoever answered the phone was genial, and said that they would send out the right parts, and reimburse for the return of the incorrect ones.  In one case he did not even insist the incorrect items be returned.

Took three days to get my parts from the east coast and that is great!  For new buyers Andy is giving 10% discount till the end of July on all products.  Great company to deal with and thanks for delivering my products so rapidly.

• 1 year later...

I'm real frustrated with these guys.  My first (and only) 2 orders never got to me.  They sent them to the wrong address both times....mixing up part of the billing address and part of the mailing address, in different ways....both times.  This despite my calling after the first order to correct the address in their system.

Then, when I call to inquire as to where these packages went, they are still don't seem to be paying attention...asking me the same questions repeatedly.   And if they know the packages were returned to them, didn't anone there wonder what was up?   Guess it didn't matter, they had my money.

To be fair, I'll up date if they manage to fix this and resend to the right address. 

Meantime, I'll search this site for some other parts sources.

I am posting so you can be aware of this if you have a different billing and shipping address.  And I needed to vent.

Ok, I vented.

Enjoy the summer driving season!

I have ordered many parts over the last year from AB ... probably 5 or 6 separate orders.  Great results on getting all of the right items in a timely matter.  I use the FAX method of ordering parts and never have bothered to call them at anytime as of today.

10% discount  :)   I have a long laundry list of parts I need in the coming months .... will be sure to put the discount to the test here in June for sure.  Will call first as I see no place on the order form to show I am using this forum to get the discount.

Man, I wish I would have heard about the discount last week, I ordered over 500.00 in parts and no one I spoke to mentioned anything about the discount. Oh well.

Reading the first post,I believe the discount expired July 31,2013. :huh:

• Like 2

I have used AB a lot for a number of different parts for the past 2 years. Ive also noticed that if I see an item on ebay I can switch to AB for a comparable price.

Only had 2 issues - ordered a breaker plate for my 39 plymouth that has a splashproof dist from a 1950. I was explicit when I ordered it making sure they had the distributor number. Still received the breaker plate for the original dist in the 39. Just received the rubber grommet kit for my firewall and out of the package it looks like half of them are the correct ones. Honestly though I consider the above as minor and will order again.

One big concern I have is they have added a log in page where you can set up a personal account, I think thats great but I dont like going to the credit card profile section and seeing my credit card information displayed in its entirety. Not sure if thats a security issue but Im not comfortable with it. I did send AB an email about it.

Reading the first post,I believe the discount expired July 31,2013. :huh:

LOL ... attention to detail will get you every time .. or me in this case anyway .... your are absolutely correct .. the original post is from 9 July 2013!!!!

Once the thread came up in View New Content .... I just assumed :eek:  the original post was from a current date ..... LOL ....

• Like 1

I have ordered from Andy more than several times and have done it through the internet each and every time. I have always gotten the right parts for the job that I was working on. The first time I ever ordered from Andy was oh probably 8 years ago over the phone and was pleased with the conversation from the sales guy. I know that I have heard and read of people having trouble with his service and getting the wrong parts but I wonder if maybe people ordered the wrong number for the parts or when talking over the phone just didn't say the right things to the sales guy. I have done both these things in the past before and when the order got to me I realized what I had done but have always had good luck with getting the right part when I get a call asking me questions about the order and the car it fits. I appreciate Andy's knowledge of these old cars as I do for the people on this forum that have helped me in many accusations about something I am having trouble with.

We all have bad days in our lives and sometimes we take it out on other people so keep that in mind next time you order a part. 

I have had 2 orders delivered here in the UK from AB and both times I have been pleased with the service and communication, Each time I have dealt with a guy called CJ whoever that may be.