Thermostat. Old Style Vs New?

Go to solution Solved by Don Coatney,

Hey Fellas,

My B1Fa runs cold, I bought a new Thermostat for it. Only thing is it's smaller with an adaptor and a sealing rubber. I'm not really sure how it's supposed to be installed. Has anyone seen this contraption? I'd be happy to buy one that fits right.

Thanks for the help.

Stumpy1373325370_zpsfc84e9a2.jpg1373325339_zpsaf7c2bbe.jpg

i don't know, stumpy. i had to modify mine slightly. i filed away more material from the spacer to allow better water flow prior to thermostat opening, otherwise, it overheats quickly. also, align the openings so that one opening is facing the front of the truck, and the other is facing the rear of the truck. once i enlarged the opening, the truck runs within a nice range (gets up to about 200, and down to 185) both winter and summer.

the way don's is pictured with the pipe cleaner, the spacer gaps are not correctly aligned (they appear to be perpendicular to front/back, rather than parallel front/back. however, if you make the openings larger (i used a round chainsaw file and dremel tool) and align them correctly, that setup can be made to work well.

Got it! I put it together and filled her with water. Perfect, no leaks. T stat cycles nicely! Even finally got down to get an inspection sticker this afternoon. :)  Felt great to be out double clutching again! Think I'll drive her to work in the morning too :wub:

Stumpy

You need to have a 60 something year old truck inspected? Wow... figured they would be exempt past a certain age. I know most safety inspections are just lights, horns and wipers, but the old stuff has different requirements that newer techs tend to not look up.

Glad to hear the new stuff works, both my engines have rotten stats in them.

You need to have a 60 something year old truck inspected? Wow... figured they would be exempt past a certain age. I know most safety inspections are just lights, horns and wipers, but the old stuff has different requirements that newer techs tend to not look up.

Yup, I have it registered just like a modern truck. I use this old girl for my sidework too. Inspection's not a bad thing.......especially on a 60 something year old truck. LOL!

yes inspected...you be surprised at the number of people who cut corners left and right on safety..sad part is that many states have dropped the state inspections....while a royal pain at times.....it does serve a purpose and it does keep some derelicts off the road..sadly the police are stretched too thin covering the crime at the donut shops to properly enforce inspection laws now dropped entirely on their shoulders..

Surprised? Not really, my inspection when I lived on the Gulf Coast was give the shop $5 and get my sticker. Friend on the city police force asked me why I bothered... Just because he didn't enforce it, doesn't mean the state trooper having a bad day feels the same way about it...

County I live in is in violation of federal clean air standards. City was paying for every resident's smog test, decided they couldn't afford to keep funding it... county and state told the city too bad, we aren't taking it over, city council couldn't pass a $10 per vehicle charge for smog tests...

Have a friend in Colorado who's hot rod 70 Sweptline (overbuilt 440) has to pass safety AND smog every year...

And my home state was talking dropping smog, since all new vehicles sold there supposedly have to meet CA standards anyway.

Strange world we live/play in...

Surprised? Not really, my inspection when I lived on the Gulf Coast was give the shop $5 and get my sticker. Friend on the city police force asked me why I bothered... Just because he didn't enforce it, doesn't mean the state trooper having a bad day feels the same way about it...

County I live in is in violation of federal clean air standards. City was paying for every resident's smog test, decided they couldn't afford to keep funding it... county and state told the city too bad, we aren't taking it over, city council couldn't pass a $10 per vehicle charge for smog tests...

Have a friend in Colorado who's hot rod 70 Sweptline (overbuilt 440) has to pass safety AND smog every year...

And my home state was talking dropping smog, since all new vehicles sold there supposedly have to meet CA standards anyway.

Strange world we live/play in...

New Hampshire requires a safety only on older vehicles. Anything '95 and newer(OBD II) requires a plug in emissions test too. Bet your bottom dollar that come the 10th of each month NH State Troopers are out looking for expired stickers. I remember when emissions tests first came into being in the '80's. If it didn't pass you just plumbed in a vacume leak to fool the machine. Things are better now! LOL! Anyhow, Febuary is my month for inspection....I haven't been driving my truck because it needed work to pass inspection. I had to repair a short in the high beam circuit, the rear rubber brake line to the rear axle was all cracked and frayed, and a couple of other little details needed attention. 

glad you got the t-stat all working correctly.

incidentally, in NH, emissions are required for '96 and newer, not '95. also, for vehicles registered as antiques (unlike yours, which you've registered as a "normal" vehicle), 40 years (from year of manufacture) and older only require an inspection every two years, while antique vehicles manufactured in 1948 and earlier are inspection-exempt. antique vehicles from 25 to 39 years require a yearly safety inspection.

In NY 10 yrs or newer the OBD is hooked to a NY state inspection computer.  Check engine light on?  vehicle fails until fixed.  Anything older than 10 yrs is safety only.  Probably a good thing.  I've bought two trucks in the past that had copper tubing for brakelines, and other cobby repairs done.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I just puchased a thermostat from Napa but noticed that it has a rubber seal that according to this tread it seals against the cast iron housing. My thermostat housing is not the cast iron type therefore the rubber seal has nothing to seal against. Does anyone have a part number for the ' newer style' stat?

Edited by 40desoto