1947 Plymouth For $85,000.00

Andydodge

Theres a nicely restored 1947 Plymouth on ebay at present......but $85K?..........andyd

Restoration work by a restoration shop is very expensive at the very best.  People do not realize what all is involved in doing a complete restoration, not just upholstery and paint.  When you realize that a correct interior done by a professional shop can run upwards of $8,000.00 to $10,000.00.  To do a complete interior you are talking about the dash and instrument cluster being brought back to as built standards as well as all of the garnish moldings.  The steering wheel restored to like new condition.  This does not include new glass and weatherstripping as that is usually in the paint job.  To remove all of the trim and glass from the body to start preparing the body for body work is a very large project just in it;s self.  A good glass out body apart total paint job with body work can take as much as 250 to 500 man hours at the rate the shop charges, $75.00 to $100.00 per hour and then the cost of paint and it can be upwards of $20,000.00 real quick.   I can see where one could get in over their head real quick having a professional shop do the work.

Well hell - I don't see anything wrong with it. I would gladly sell my Plymouth for $85,000. When I sold my motorcycle at Mid American auctions I was blown away by all the old, rich, white guys who were buying anything for obscene prices. The guy who bought my motorcycle had 30 Triumphs and he just wanted another. I saw an Indian go for $125,000. A fool and his money are soon parted.

• Like 1

I think you should buy 2. After all,they're little and don't take up much room.

• Like 1

did anyone notice that the spare rim had the three pin stripe in yellow but when you look at the car the rims do not seems to have the three stripes on the metal rims.  I am not sure if they are there or not because of the angle of the picture..  But 85K for a 47 Plymouth coupe. I might consider this amount if it was a 1939 Hayes bodied Coupe of either the Chrysler, Desoto or Dodge and if it had a very low serial number maybe like number 5 in the series for either model.  But 85K for a run of mill coupe you do not even see these prices at Hershey.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

People make the mistake of thinking the money they have into a car has some correlation to its value.  They are two distinct things.  I can totally see how you could spend 100k on a professional restoration, but you still might only have a 25 or 30k car when you are done.  It can be a sobering experience.

• Like 1

The other thing I wanted to throw in is the value of something changes based on where it is and when it is for sale.   On a particular day at a particular auction where two particular guys have been drinking too much at the open bidders bar you may achieve a price that is not reproducible every again.

Yep just four wheels going down the road but a fool and his hard earned money is soon depart.  I kind of wonder what part of the brain makes a person want to spend such a large amount of money as it can only be shown oft so many times.  Well anyway glad I only have one nightmare to deal with and that is enough for me. 

The seat material looks like real mohair.  So if it was reupholstered, how much would you all figure just the material ran?  How much is mohair now-a-days, anyway?  (Back in the early 80's, as far as my brother & I could find out, it was only available out of England.  I wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper now than it was back then.  Unfortunately I don't recall the price.)  I'm not anywhere near ready for it, but I've been looking at "wool suiting" any time I'm in a fabric store with my wife.  That's the closest thing I've seen yet, but then I haven't had an actual old sample along to compare, either.

1947 Plymouth Other 1947 PLYMOUTH COUPE HOT ROD SHOW CAR PERFECT ART DECO MINT WOW KUSTOM RAT ROD

Ok this is the description of the car on Ebay.  Ok either this is a a Show Car or a Hot rod.  But the car has not been judged either by the AACA or POC.  Since there is not real speed equipment onthe car such as a split manifold, dula carbs, edmonds head or any of the other hotrod upgrades and not even a V8 engine of some sorts and does not have a modern rear or  automatic trans with AC and tilt wheel how is this a HOTROD.  Yes missing the rear truck mat.  Very miss leading postting of the car  Also the word PERFECT in Bold lettering means that the car is 100 percent correct.. ALso its a RAT ROD.  Most rat rods are not complete restoration with over 1800 hours of body work done to the car.  So what gives.

The seat material looks like real mohair.  So if it was reupholstered,...  That's the closest thing I've seen yet, but then I haven't had an actual old sample along to compare, either.

I don't think it's Mohair, I think it's Wool Broadcloth..  I used the same pattern in my 49 Plymouth back in the 80's.  I got it from LeBaron Bonney and I think it ran about $60 a yard back then.  Tried doing a quick look up at their WEB site for that pattern, and found something similar:

https://www.lebaronbonney.com/cart/fabricbytheyard.php?Cc=GREY363

Edited by Furylee2

1947 Plymouth Other 1947 PLYMOUTH COUPE HOT ROD SHOW CAR PERFECT ART DECO MINT WOW KUSTOM RAT ROD

Ok this is the description of the car on Ebay.  Ok either this is a a Show Car or a Hot rod.  But the car has not been judged either by the AACA or POC.  Since there is not real speed equipment onthe car such as a split manifold, dula carbs, edmonds head or any of the other hotrod upgrades and not even a V8 engine of some sorts and does not have a modern rear or  automatic trans with AC and tilt wheel how is this a HOTROD.  Yes missing the rear truck mat.  Very miss leading postting of the car  Also the word PERFECT in Bold lettering means that the car is 100 percent correct.. ALso its a RAT ROD.  Most rat rods are not complete restoration with over 1800 hours of body work done to the car.  So what gives.

He's just sticking all those terms in there to try and get more views which is a pretty common ebay/craigslist practive. However at his price point I can't imagine its going to help sell it. He needs to ship it off to Arizona or one of the other huge auctions.

There are two '47 Plymouth coupes listed right now.

Both the same color, both look just as nice in the photos.

The other one is listed at $11,500

Someone is dreaming. I could picture an asking price that high for something really special like that red comvertible, but a plain-jane black coupe? No way.

The rat rod, hotrod, show car stuff is just added keywords to get the listing to come up in more searches. An increasingly common trick.

Edited by Carlo