A Better Carter?

Bob Riding

I am getting to the point where I may be putting the '40 wagon on the road soon, and ran across this post from Nov 2012 on the HAMB. I had never heard of Plymouth substituting the Chevy W1 Carter in 1947. The poster, Jon "carbking", seems pretty knowledgable on the subject. Can anyone validate his claims?

He said Plymouth called it the Carter 574.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Since you have already decided to put on a two-barrel, the following may be moot; but you may find it interesting.

The really easy and inexpensive way to dramatically improve both power and economy on those old Plymouth 218's is to simply bolt on a Carter W-1 built for Chevrolet. Plymouth actually did this in 1947 when the plant producing the BBR carb went on strike. The Chevrolet carb with no other changes is good for 5~10 percent increase in horsepower, and 20~30 percent increase in fuel economy. The W-1 used as factory equipment by Plymouth was the Carter 574s.

During this time period, Carter offered 3 different levels of one-barrel carburetor:

(A) BBR series - cheap, worked, but never worked well

(B) W series - inbetween price, worked excellent, but manual choke and power circuit

© WA series - most expensive, worked a tiny bit better than the W, with auto choke and vacuum power circuit

Of course, simply bolting on a different one-barrel is not as "cool" as putting on duals, but if no other mods are made to the engine; it would probably function better.

Jon."

Gents,

I found the BBR-1 listed for Chrysler, Dodge trucks, IH, Studebaker, and others I'm too lazy to list.  I didn't see a BBR without the suffix.  Could this be the one we seek?

-Randy

(I posted this early this morning and once I realized it wasn't the carb in topic I couldn't delete it.)

Edited by randroid

Some Carter BBR1 info data for 1947 P-15...

Bob

• Like 1

I have a pair of Carter YF carbutetors on my P-15 and have never had any problems with their performance.  I use them with out a choke and they run just fine in the winter.  They were originally replacement carburetors for the 235 Chevrolet I/6 engines.  

Edited by james curl

The B&B carb is the one to use not a BBR! I think Plymouth had a brain fart for a few  hundred cars that got a BBR. Some where I have more info on the W1 and BBR but it's kinda not worthwhile to search for it.

Curious if that swap would work on the D24 with Fluid Drive?  The original carb has a "retarded throttle return" to keep the car from stalling when its stopped without disengaging the clutch (no idea how that works, I just take it for granted because mine does).  I imagine it would, but you'd have to drive it like a regular manual shift. 

I am getting to the point where I may be putting the '40 wagon on the road soon, and ran across this post from Nov 2012 on the HAMB. I had never heard of Plymouth substituting the Chevy W1 Carter in 1947. The poster, Jon "carbking", seems pretty knowledgable on the subject. Can anyone validate his claims?

He said Plymouth called it the Carter 574.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Since you have already decided to put on a two-barrel, the following may be moot; but you may find it interesting.

The really easy and inexpensive way to dramatically improve both power and economy on those old Plymouth 218's is to simply bolt on a Carter W-1 built for Chevrolet. Plymouth actually did this in 1947 when the plant producing the BBR carb went on strike. The Chevrolet carb with no other changes is good for 5~10 percent increase in horsepower, and 20~30 percent increase in fuel economy. The W-1 used as factory equipment by Plymouth was the Carter 574s.

During this time period, Carter offered 3 different levels of one-barrel carburetor:

(A) BBR series - cheap, worked, but never worked well

(B) W series - inbetween price, worked excellent, but manual choke and power circuit

© WA series - most expensive, worked a tiny bit better than the W, with auto choke and vacuum power circuit

Of course, simply bolting on a different one-barrel is not as "cool" as putting on duals, but if no other mods are made to the engine; it would probably function better.

Jon."

So if this is such an improvement over the stock carb, why haven't more Mopar flathead fans done the switch?

• Like 1

and the why also to why they went back to the old B&B carb and if the blurb sheet as I ead it says..if this carb is used it has to have larger jets installed for the Mopar..so then it is no longer a Chevy jetted carb but a specific application carb for the Mope....but of course this  is logic like referring to a R10 as Chrylser OD and it is not...

Cpt Fred: Why are more carters better than one? More power / less economy; more linkiage/more adjustment. So the question remains, why? I've got an extra, so should I put the extra one on my convertible?

Edited by pflaming

i tried joking, actually :)  from what i have experienced, the engine runs perfect with one B&B on top, very high mileage and little trouble.

if you want a little more power, you go for duals (or twin barrel, more modern way) to raise the amount of mixture passing through the engine,

mostly accompanied by modified exhaust headers.

i chose triple carbs, but trust me it's completely senseless on a road engine although mine runs surprisingly well and get's quite a good good mileage, too.

it's a nice thing to look at, most important ;)

"I tried joking!" "It's nice to look at. . ." Honesty IS refreshing. Yet it is true, dual carbs look GR R R ATE!! and more air flow does help. I'm not a tinkerer so a single will do. I will do some inner cleaning of the manifolds and a dual outlet into a 2" pipe.

While we're on carbs I guess air filters are a part of the subject. What is the story on these new filters that are conel and boast of better flitration and better air flow. I can't call their brand name.