50 Windsor Turn Signal Switch Diagram

J.R.

I am almost done with the dash wiring I just need to know what each of the 6 wires goto. I could trial and error and figure it out but I though I would see if anyone already knows.

20130616_125822_zps1ff1e8b1.jpg

20130616_125830_zpsdd478c92.jpg

20130619_192017_zps26065a8b.jpg

Green with black tracer to left rear.

Green- no tracer to left front.

Brown with black tracer to Right rear. These wire colors usually fade to a tan or slight yellow color

Brown- no tracer right front.

Red to X on flasher

White to brake light switch on drivers side of frame under rear seat area forward of LR wheel.

Sometimes scraping the side of the cloth wire insulation lightly will bring up the true cloth wire color.

Bob

Great, Thanks!!!

Being from the area maybe you would know. My dad has a full custom 50 Dodge and said that there is a guy up on Aurora in N. Seattle somewhere that deals in nothing but old Mopar stuff, ring any bells?

Probably Neil Riddle. He is a seller of old 1946-54 Mopar on Ebay. Ebay name is "seaplym".

JR,

Neil Riddle

(206) 285-6534

Been around quite a while for a good reason.  I've dealt with him on numerous occasions and always came away happy.  He used to send out little fliers but I think anymore you just call him and tell him what you want and he'll give you a price.  Easy going guy.

-Randy

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks guys!!! 

• 5 years later...

Dash wiring blues! Hi I git the switch installed ,but am flummoxed on which of the 6bwires go to which of the 6bwires coming from under the dash  36 possible combinations ! Some of them make g hot wires ! How do I get the dash off of the car?

2 hours ago, Stevenlesser said:

Dash wiring blues! Hi I git the switch installed ,but am flummoxed on which of the 6bwires go to which of the 6bwires coming from under the dash  36 possible combinations ! Some of them make g hot wires ! How do I get the dash off of the car?

Here is a picture of the  1950 chrysler factory original T/sig switch double connector wiring coming down from the switch.

One set feeds to the front signals and flasher "L" terminal and the other set of three wires feeds the rear signal lights and brake light switch by the left rear tire.  

The wires with the..             red....... to brake light switch

green.... to left rear signal           These three rear wires  were originally marked as being rear by being wrapped with a white band of tape

brown....to right rear signal  

The other set of wires....    red... to the flasher "L" terminal

green to the left front signal

brown to the right front signal       

If your wiring is all faded out a DVOM will be needed to trace it all out.... 

There are a couple minor wire color differences and connectors on 1950-51 chryslers too...

If you have a white wire off the center terminal of the T/sig switch that wire feeds the brake light switch... the other center red wire goes to the "L" terminal of the flasher.

You might also have one set of T/sig switch wires (3) that are black and red...black and green and black and brown...,. those three feed the rear turn signals and brake switch.

The black means rear of car signal wires..

Turn Signal Wires and Connectors 1950 Chrysler C49 Newport (5).JPG

Turn Signal Wiring and connectors 1951-1952 (1).JPG

Turn Signal Wiring and connectors 1951-1952 (4).JPG

IMG_4500.JPG

Wow thank you for the effort for that great reply !  I appreciate it  what you told me will get me started sorting this out 

I replaced all of the bulbs 

one combo wires I tried started to heat up ! 

your pictures show 2 switches , there’s not 2 is there ? 

My wires are so bad the insulation is turning to dust, no color 

I got a replacement switch off eBay from Hilltop 

it has newer plastic color insulation ,but sounds like it copies the original color scheme . in spirit sort of .

theres a green and dark green a white and off white a black and a red 

A couple of generations of owners had monkeyed around with the wiring and a new motor harness was put in in a not so professional manner  so some of the wiring is that “fake old “ looking wiring that may be color matched ,sort of 

the three from the engine compartment  that go forward through the firewall (to the flasher ?)

the flasher was replaced (both mechanical )

and the other set is from a bundle tword the left  side I guess that does the rear lights .i had to splice some wire on to that one one to replace rotted ones this one disappears into the harness off to the left side in a bundle 

the triple connectors had gotten corroded and partially melted so I replaced them with new individual male / female connectors 

taking the dash off would help for exposure a lot but I can’t figure where it attaches 

i invented “dashnastics”

one combo got both fronts flashing 

one combo got left working ok , not right , but then got hot 

i feel like 3 stooges ! What is a dvom? 

The original 50 Chrysler T/sig switch has six wires coming from it. Two sets of three wires (two Bakelite)  connectors as you can see in my pictures.

I only know the factory wiring and colors and where they go.

A DVOM is a digital volt ohmmeter used for electrical work and a more modern type of analog (swing needle) older type meter which will do all your needed wiring work too.

If your wires are turning to dust....complete rewiring will be necessary sorry to say.

• 1 year later...

hello,

I'm rewiring my brakelights and turnsignals at the rear.

everything works seperately but when I use the brakelights and left or right turnsignal the other brakelight  goes off.

what could be wrong?

jorg

7 hours ago, jorg said:

hello,

I'm rewiring my brakelights and turnsignals at the rear.

everything works seperately but when I use the brakelights and left or right turnsignal the other brakelight  goes off.

what could be wrong?

jorg

Turn signal switch is either defective or miswired

What year/ make is your car?

Does it have factory installed turn signals?

Are your bulb sockets clean?

Good ground to the tail light housings and sockets?

What bulb # are you using?

it is a 1950 Chrysler windsor newport with all original parts.

bulbs are ok as they do work as it should be. just no brakelight when using the turnsignal. no matter which side you use

could it be the circuit breaker?

jorg

Did the T/signals and brake lights work properly before you rewired the rear lights?

Factory bulbs are #1154 as you probably know.

Sometimes carefully moving a marginal operating signal switch just right will make the lights work correctly....this on a dirty worn turn signal contact switch.

• 3 weeks later...

I succeeded fixing the turnsignal switch. removed the steering wheel and turnsignal switch. I opened up the switch, cleaned the contacts and stretched the 4 springs a little bit. reinstalled everything and I t works as it should be.

Thanks for the helping hands

jorg

• 2 months later...

check to see if live side of each circuit (parking brake light and interior light) gives a high impedance reading when an ohm meter is connected across them. These would be the wires that connect to respective centre pins in the sockets for aforementioned circuits causing the problem. If you get a reading other than infinite ohms you have a short between the two circuits. Check to make sure socket of each bulb is 0 ohms to ground. Do these measurements with the battery disconnected and the bulbs removed. Try this in a brake on and brake off situation. I can't mention often enough to look for electrical tape junctions since these are often the cause for problems as described. PS the flickering of the interior lights indicates an intermittent short somewhere which will show up on ohm meter as an unstable reading. Hope this helps! M

Try powering the e brake switch from a different source. Make your self a jumper wire about 8 feet long with an insulated alligator clip on each end. Disconnect the e brake light switch from it's normal feed and power it directly from the negative battery terminal. If all works ok and doesn't effect the interior lights, then you have two choices.  You can repower it permanly with a new wire from the accessory terminal of the ignition switch, or start trading into the harness looking for the source of the back feeding. If you decide to repower, lable and tape off the other feed so you don't have a loose powered wire flopping around.

Mine doesn't have a fancy light so I'm not 100 percent about this light but is there a self contained flasher?  Or is there one wired in, or is it powered through the turnsignal flasher?  What makes it blink????  Maybe you need some fresh blinker fluid.

c0b2cb84cf0f9f859d0c5912076d3b47.jpg

You have to use the correct bulb for that E-Brake light....not very common one either.

Wrong bulb could be your issue.

The correct bulb is a 6V # 1110..

Double filament 21/21 CP is required.

• 1 month later...

Great!

Thanks for posting a follow up.?

• 1 year later...

I have no brake lights since messing with and changing out the steering stem. 

I’m assuming I have these plugged in incorrectly. Does anybody have a good photo of the colors and where they go?

Thanks in advance. 

768471B6-9518-4120-A31A-3ECB12AAEDA7.jpeg

Edited by CaptChris
upload image