What Have You Done With Your Car That Gives You Bragging Rights

larryconnors

My car got to pose with the Mr. Bechtel's granddaughter for an impromptu picture overlooking the golden gate bridge last summer. Oh and i got to hold her hand bag for it, which later i found out cost multiple times the value of my car.

I guess I can claim bragging rights for having rescued my '39 P8 convertible cpe from a junk pile in Montana, where it had sat for over thirty-eight years.. Working on it and gathering parts for over fourteen years, to create which is probably one of the finest P8 convertibles in the country.. It has won top awards in every show I have entered it in..

An added benifit has been that the car is a pleasure to drive, top down or soon to be top up.. My only regrete is that it will not make it back to Montana next week for a cenntenial celebration in the town I found it near , as planned, because of family health problems.... Bill

Edited by blucarsdn
  • Like 1

Bragging Rights?............lol....well I suppose that keeping the 'ol brown turd for nearly 42yrs is something, doing the 318 Poly engine & gearbox swap, diff,4 wheel disc brakes,modify the suspension & steering, interior & seats,rust repairs, panel beating including widening the rear fenders 2", painting it myself....everything apart from the chrome & vinyl top.....its been to various rod runs all over the Oz east coast since 1973........mopar thru & thru.............andyd

post-612-0-41652500-1371462151_thumb.jpg

In 1970 at 18 yrs of age I bought my D 24 for $ 70 from a farmers field. It had not run for 5 yrs. I drove it home and that summer with some very basic repairs, my buddy and I immediately did a road trip of about 1200 miles RT "just cause we could". It smoked and belched the whole way, the police fined us for driving on the shoulder to allow others to pass, etc, etc. Good times and i still have it....many more $$ sunk in now,

I dunno.  Does registering the ol' D24 in four different States since we've owned it count?  I guess never overheating while in west Texas, not having the paint baked off in New Mexico, being able to afford keeping it in Michigan, and only taking one trip to register it in New York are noteworthy.....  That and we've had it over 20 years and it still aint done :huh:   Gotta love it!

I got mine from the original owner back in 1970.  Drove it for 6 years as I got it. Put it in a barn for about 25, hauled it out gave it some new paint and chrome, brakes and tires, some seat covers, rebuilt a 56 P28 engine for it, than have driven it about 3500 miles a year.  Having made trips to Mass, 3X, Vermont 2x, Pennsylvania 3X, Maryland, Virgina, Detroit, and Charlotte, NC, The only parts failure encountered on these trips has been a fan belt nd the fuse on the headlamp switch.  

The old Plymouth has done a lot of things in the past few years..........have driven 3 different newlywed couples from the

church to their receptions.........carried the grand marshall in three different local Christmas parades........carried a queen

in a parade at a nearby town..........let them use the car as a prop for a reality tv show (Great American Road Trip).........

let a church use it (along with two other old cars) as a prop for a Christmas program like an old radio show........and

drove it to Tulsa, OK when they dug up the Plymouth buried in 1957.  While in Tulsa I got to witness the Big Race between

Don Coatney and Pete "Blueskies" Anderson.......tried to keep up with them to take a few pictures.  

And pictured below, am holding the waterjet cut plaque for "Marvelous Mopar" winner at an event in Baxter Springs, KS

in July of 2008.   So, I guess the car has done a few things a person could brag about, if so inclined. :D 

100_9100.jpg

And...........very fortunately.............it only received minor damage in the Joplin tornado.....................

It was sitting in the attached garage at the time........ended up in an open-air garage......

DSC02610.jpg

And...........very fortunately.............it only received minor damage in the Joplin tornado.....................

It was sitting in the attached garage at the time........ended up in an open-air garage......

DSC02610.jpg

I vote yours the best post on this thread, and I am not smokin anything.......

Noteworthy? Sat in the barn from 74-94, had it running 2 weeks after towing it out. Then it sat from 94-2002 w/o being touched, and snapped a bunch of rings when I tried to start it. Pretty much the highlights, other than being in the same family since it was new.

Maybe getting a running 230 for $125 is notable, maybe not, since it died on me too... But it's fixable, just nuts and bolts after all, nothing too mysterious in there.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm glad to read all this stories about road trip !

my best memories with my 41 dodge is when i drove it after it came from USA to france.

i buy my 41 dodge club coup 2 years ago, from saint louis, missouri.

i'm french and the car is came on a boat to Le havre, normandie, i'm living in Bordeaux

it's december 2011, very very cold winter, i take a train from bordeaux to le havre with a friend. 

the previous owner of my dodge say to me : (with the voice of an very old men) "this car can go anywhere !! don't worry my boy, just do not drove it over 55"

Ok ok i bring with me a new 6 volt batterie in my suitecase ^^ and i go to le havre.

it's aprowymatly 6pm, a friday, the sun light is just beautiful on the chrome.  so i check oil, water, everything's ok but not batterie ... i put myy new batterie on in, i have a can of gas, filled the tank, put a little bit in the carb and START !!  the dodge run quasi instantanetly !!  i take the wheel and it drove it for 1000 miles without any problems. only thing at this time, the heater dosn't work and the outside temperature is 42°F  call me Mr freez ha ha ha  ^^

on the parking of the company at le havre, here with the sun is not so cold but night driving in normandie especialy in winter  and without heater is a thing i never doing again, never never never !! ha ha ha

post-4614-0-07978500-1373723690_thumb.jpg

a couple of days after this road trip, i put WWW tires and a sunvisor on it

post-4614-0-41688500-1373723630_thumb.jpg

the video of the first start at le havre, after aproximatly 2 month without running !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG0iTlmxizg

and another video, all the interior is original, never restored, original engine too, everything work on this car :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp5V-YU3kxI

and friday, i take the dodge and i'm going to marseille in the south of the france, it's a 400 miles road trip with a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EupdbFALIY

Edited by Adrian41D-19
  • Like 2

Gents,

Other than the actual machine work on the engine, I have done everything it took to get it from under a couple tons of discarded restaurant eqipment and turn it into a safe and comfortable daily driver.

-Randy

And that's something worth bragging about.

All I've done to mine so far is spend all my money buying tools and building a workshop to winch it into.

I do have high hopes of one day having it as a relaible daily driver with no rust or dents,though.