Transmissions - Response To Don C From Another Thread...

James_Douglas

Don,

I don't have the time to mess with it...but...I found out that the 1959 Plymouth six with Powerflite trans torque converter will bolt to the flathead.  The impeller splines will fit the same year Torqueflite.  I was going to try to use a fluid coupling bell housing the converter from the '59 and the main case of the cast iron Torqueflite.

You are one of the people that could pull that off...

FYI...James

You would have to built it from parts!  1959 Plymouth 6 with Powerflite and then any '59 cast iron torque flight and lots of time and machine work!

The other idea I have looked at is to take a aluminum torqueflite and cut off the bell housing, which is done in racing circles, and adapt it to a fluid drive bell housing.  Basically what you did with the 5 speed, just using an aluminum TF.  I think, I don't know, that a torque converter could be built using the mounting off of a fluid coupling.

James

Don, have you given any thought of using a Wilcap adapter for the MoPar flat head six to any modern GM automatic?  It would be the easy way out, expensive but the hard work of adapting the torque plate and bell housing come in the kit.  $575.00 in their latest brochure.

Edited by james curl

From 56/7 till end of production in cars and maybe a bit longer in light trucks, Powerflites and torqueflites were bolted behind flathead 's.  My cousin had a 57 Plaza with the 6 and T flight.  Maybe you could find a complete set up in a wrecking yard.  Then it would be a bolt in deal.

• 4 weeks later...

From 56/7 till end of production in cars and maybe a bit longer in light trucks, Powerflites and torqueflites were bolted behind flathead 's.  My cousin had a 57 Plaza with the 6 and T flight.  Maybe you could find a complete set up in a wrecking yard.  Then it would be a bolt in deal.

Greg,

I do not think it is a bolt in.  The PF & TF used a x-member off of the rear of the trans.  The Fluid drive bell housing acts as the engine rear member on Don's car. Remember his photos of him setting the hole centerline for the 5-speed? He would have to cut out the x-member and build a new one to fit the trans.  That is why I suggested the idea of cutting the bell off of an aluminum TF and machining the stock cast iron fluid drive bell for it.

Either way, it is work and fabrication.

James