George Asche

harrybuffalo

Met with my good old freind George yesterday in Albion Pa for the Mopar show there. Drove his yellow 1950 Plymouth. Had a good time.

Just a heads up if anyone is interested in obtaining items made by George...he is 81 years old...and he looked it yesterday.

I don't know George but have heard lots of good things about him. I hope that his knowledge of these old flatheads and the overdrive trannys is well documented before we lose him. God bless and I hope he lives to be at least a hundred or more.

Don, being a baseball fan, I love your signature........."I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me."

Unfortunately, when George goes, a lot of knowledge will go with him, just like all old mechanics. If you are sitting on the fence about getting an OD from him, don't sit too long.

We know the George likes to talk.  I wonder if he would consent to doing a video of him just talking about the stuff he knows, and how he knows it.  It would be great to archive even a small part of his lifetime of knowledge.  Maybe you guys who kow him well enough should ask him how he feels about doing something like that. 

I know my Dad, who served on the USS Missouri during it WWII deployment, was asked by the Missouri Museum to do a similar documentary.  He said he really didn't have much to offer, then proceeded to fill about 2 and a half hours of tape with stuff about the ship, his life aboard, and what his job was as gun captain in one of the turrets of the 16 inch naval guns.  Part of it used to play on a moniter in one of the gun turrets for folks taking tours of the ship in Pearl Harbor.

• Like 3

Great Idea Greg. Anyone here into film making?

It's a fabulous idea. One possibility might be asking a school in George's vicinity to do it, though obviously school's out right now.

Our community college here in Kansas has both a large vo-tech with auto shop instructors and TV/radio broadcasting classes with students to run the cameras. If George were HERE and school was in session (or probably even if not, since I know a lot of folks at the college) we could probably get an auto shop instructor and George to have a long talk in front of the cameras, recording it all.

Alternatively, if somebody could arrange to be at one of the summer shows George will attend, they could just set up a video camera and let him talk.

• 1 month later...