New Member And Hopefully New Question..

coronetdvd

Hi I'm david g I'm from down in georgia along the coast and I have found me a beautiful 51 dodge coronet looks all original and it lives once again got it to fire up 2 weeks ago so I've been cleaning and get radiator cleaned and tank cleaned. Its my first car from the fiftys era and me being 22 its not a familiar car for my generation. I am a flat rate tech on european cars so I do have experince with all sorts of wiring and how things work and etc. But what I'm looking for is a wiring diagram for the car and or an explanation of what on my fire wall next to the generator regulator thanks to all and hope your days are as great as mine down in georgia...

Welcome to the site! Make your life easier and start by purchasing a shop manual and parts book for your car. This will give you a background on the systems. 

Hi and welcome. First business to attend to if you have not already done so is to buy a service manual for your car. They can usually be found on the bay or at Amazon in disc or hardcopy. I prefer hard copy as you can open the book on the fender as you work on the car.

The systems and how things work are simple the main thing is just need to find power or where thing get voltage too and from... I would buy everything but at the moment funds are limited for my wife is pregnant with our first baby I ll be a new daddy on nov 4 of what they say is a lille girl... so just trying to get things started with simple wiring issues. My interior harness is great but outside is missing all the insilation on the harness...

Welcome. That Dodge is a nice car. Tudor / sedan / coupe / ?  Here is a schematic for a 53 plymouth. You can compare it to the one above. 

I just finished a complete new harness for my Convertible. Fun task.

There are three devices on the firewall: regulator, horn relay,  flasher can. Study that horn relay, to me it is misnamed because a lot of wires come out of that. They may not be in that order. Hope this helps.

Edit: Note the engine compartment light and switch. Cool

52cowl_zps2a1ca740.jpg

PlymouthSchematic_zps3bd2009c.jpg

Edited by pflaming

Okay im 22 and have no idea how to add a picture on here i took it with my cell phone and i have the forums there and on my labtop. I know this is bad but wow, thanks to all who have welcomed me and look forward to getting to know more people and learn lots thanks agian.

Okay im 22 and have no idea how to add a picture on here i took it with my cell phone and i have the forums there and on my labtop. I know this is bad but wow, thanks to all who have welcomed me and look forward to getting to know more people and learn lots thanks agian.

Welcome aboard. If you have pics in your computer, just scroll down a bit to "more reply options", click.

Then lower left attach files.

There in the center i know left is the regulator and on right is the flasher? but center is a mystery. Thanks also shel_bizzy...

IMG 7630

before and after of my engine..

Edited by coronetdvd
  • Like 1

Hi I'm david g I'm from down in georgia along the coast and I have found me a beautiful 51 dodge coronet looks all original and it lives once again got it to fire up 2 weeks ago so I've been cleaning and get radiator cleaned and tank cleaned. Its my first car from the fiftys era and me being 22 its not a familiar car for my generation. I am a flat rate tech on european cars so I do have experince with all sorts of wiring and how things work and etc. But what I'm looking for is a wiring diagram for the car and or an explanation of what on my fire wall next to the generator regulator thanks to all and hope your days are as great as mine down in georgia...

The first thing you need to understand is that your car has a 6 volt positive ground system.

Yep postive ground and already converting to 12v cause me along with my wife are going to use this car as a daily driver and to use with our baby when she is born. And I need to figure out the device on the fire wall which I think is the horn relay and a junction box. From which it looks by pictures thks to some great help of pflaming and 1940plymouth.. the car shall be keep at original as possble with no cutting of any thing maybe some rewiring and install of an alternator to maintane already working on cleaning plugins and sockets for all new 12v bulbs with all new relays and starter solinoid to handle 12v that's why I needed the ID of the relay so I was 100% on the device... so far this car is amazing the way it was built and its lasted this long and in wonderful shape... I love origanality of it even has the markings on firewall where the put orginal color... thks so much for every1s work and hope I can help others in the future with ideas or any type help...

That would be the horn relay.  You can do a search here for some info on that.

Voltage regulator on left. You will not use it with 12v conversion, but don't toss it.

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

Plan on 1 day if possible to put generator back with regulator I want to rebuild and make it look 100% but work at 12v.... 1 more question I'm sand blasting all my parts as we speak and painting some but the car was partially torn apart only the fixture the holds the coil and plug wires was not bolted up but do the wires run through the to fold slots under the coil or just ran under there lossely ? Thks again for all the great info...

Here is the wiring diagram for a 1951 Dodge (D42)

Have you determined if you had just the basic 3 speed manual transmission, or the gyro-matic?

Basic 3 speed, no wires going to the transmission. Gyro-matic, wires for governor and such.

post-80-0-48899300-1370115484_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-52247800-1370115514_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-04657100-1370115545_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

. 1 more question I'm sand blasting all my parts as we speak and painting some but the car was partially torn apart only the fixture the holds the coil and plug wires was not bolted up but do the wires run through the to fold slots under the coil or just ran under there lossely ? Thks again for all the great info...

Generally 3 per side.  Holder style may vary. My electric choke wire is out of the holder. Likely should be running up the tube.

post-80-0-93798900-1370116818_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-63364900-1370116845_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-00481800-1370117151_thumb.jpg

It runs and it stop have not ran it for long for rad was out and brakes where not fully bleed but coronet emblem on fenders say fluid drive.. thks also again for the pictures and diagrams great great info...

coronetdvd, on 01 Jun 2013 - 20:13, said:

How do you remove a horn button or ring ?nn

Screws on the back of steering wheel NOT

D29-D30 had screws on back.

D33-D34 pry up medallion remove screws on front.

wait just a minute. will post instructions from manual

post-80-0-64942900-1370132506_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-03885700-1370132890_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_bizzy_48