Valve adj w/ regrind cam

David Mac

I have a reground cam (not stock) and I have noisy valves. What is the best method to find the lowest spot on the cam lobe so to be sure I am adjusting the valve properly.

I tried bringing #1 up to TDC and you are suppose to be able to adj. both the In. & Ex. for #1. but at DC the Ex. value isn't at its lowest point.

Anyone with a procedure to adjust the valves when having a reground cam would be helpful.

Thanks guys,

David

Regrind of a cam to for longer duration and higher lift does not alter your ability to set the lash on the valve...the base is undercut so the ramp and toe can be ground offset for duration and adjusted lift. Set your valves according to your timing card..sometimes they are say set a bit more open by a few thousandants. Be sure you ARE on TDC and not 360 out..the exhaust will be off-seat if you are on exhaust stroke of the engine...

Be sure you ARE on TDC and not 360 out.....

Tim;

Not sure how you can be 360 degrees out? 180 degrees is possible on the cam but not 360:confused:

Best way to set the valves is with the engine running and using a "go-no-go" set of feeler gauges. Chances are the recommended setting for valve lash with a regrind are not the same as the stock settings.

Tim;

Not sure how you can be 360 degrees out? 180 degrees is possible on the cam but not 360:confused:

Best way to set the valves is with the engine running and using a "go-no-go" set of feeler gauges. Chances are the recommended setting for valve lash with a regrind are not the same as the stock settings.

Don,

You got me on this one. How in the world do you set the valve lash with the engine running on these flat head engines? :confused:

Even with no fenders on my truck and just the exhaust system in place I don't see how you could get your hands down in there without getting burned to a crisp :eek:

The pilot-house pickups don't have the access panels that the cars do which would make it even tougher once the fenders are on.

Inquiring minds want to know :D

Thanks,

Brad

Don,

The pilot-house pickups don't have the access panels that the cars do which would make it even tougher once the fenders are on.

Inquiring minds want to know :D

Thanks,

Brad

Sure they do. The whole inner fender comes out. Then pull the wheel off and you have access to the side of the engine.

Sure they do. The whole inner fender comes out. Then pull the wheel off and you have access to the side of the engine.

Merle, its been so long since I took my truck apart (10 years :() that I don't remember the geometry of the inner to outer fender, etc.

Knowing that I can do this sure makes me feel a LOT better :D

One of my big worries had always been how to adjust those darn valves "hot" like the manual says.

Dang, now I can't wait to get the fenders on just so I can try it :D:D

Thanks,

Brad