1948 Plymouth Engine Swap???

uglysteve

No, when I had it all apart, a friend and I removed the freeze plugs and with the head off and the plugs open we spent an hour or more with a very high pressure steam cleaner in one hole after another and a high pressure air hose nozzle in other holes until we could NOT get anything to come out but clean water.

The amount of junk in that block was beyond imaginable. Then when I had the head back on, I did a final clean and shot the clear. I tested the clear and when it was tacky but not leaving a finger print, it got another coat until it had six coats. Then I let it cure for several days before I touched it again. It isn't this shiny in the truck, but it looks very 'old school'. I get a lot of compliments on it. 

For a comparison: A great member friend from Fresno was my wing man on the trek to the BBQ a trek of 360 miles RT. We filled up at the same intervals. He has a neat 47 plymouth coupe with a nice mopar V8, I have the 6 cyl with a 3.53 rear axle in the B3B. We drove on interstate and country roads, and some city driving. When we filled up I had used less then a 1/4 gallon more. MPG was 14 at 60+ mph on the interstate. We were both happy. 

Edited by pflaming

Definitely a cool nailhead.

My uncle's a Ford man. He'll swear -- and probably prove -- that he can make horsepower every bit as affordably as a Chevrolet.

Me, I like 'em all. I'd just prefer to stay in the family when putting a "new" engine in an old car.

A lot of what you do and like depends on how old you are. I'll be 70 this year and when I grew up you saw Olds and Cad engines in a Chevy because Chevy didn't have a V8. Also Lincolns, Olds and Cads in Furds because Furd only had a Flathead. And there were no Rice Rockets anywhere to be seen! It was a completely different time that formed opinions. I had a friend that had a 270 Jimmie 6 cylinder in his 50 Chev that would blow the doors off any flathead Furd. It was a great time to love cars. But it's still fun today, that's why these site's are popular so we can all share our love of these old cars. Young and old I think we all learn something, I know I do. Good luck on whatever engine you choose and keep us posted so we can enjoy your project as well. 

A lot of what you do and like depends on how old you are.

That's probably true, and my uncle's on the older side. Almost 80 now I guess. I know he had a DeSoto in the 1950s but ended up a Ford-Mercury guy from the 1960s on. Street, strip and circle track, too.

He's built a phenomenal engine for my brother's 1979 Z28, though. And ended up building Chevy engines for his grandson and a friend to run in their modifieds, maybe out of necessity (cost) or maybe out of mere uniformity, because that's what the youngsters wanted. I know it disappointed him a little.

This is definitely a good forum for all the experience, advice and moral support offered.

And Pflaming, that flathead is sweet! ... Every time I think I'll just get an LA small block for this '49 Windsor (if I ever pry it out of the seller's hands at my price), I see somebody's six and pause to reconsider.

Chevy had nothing to do with the creation of Bendix anymore than Chrysler developed the Lockheed system...one would think a car buff would realize this in the beginning..

A car buff would also know each manufacturer had a choice as to what system to use for ease of service and dependability.

I hate to admit it, I put an SBC in my '39 Plym conv. cpe.. I wanted to keep the car all Mopar, using as many original DCPD parts as I could get my hands on.. The power-train proved to be a big challenge..

When I was planning the restoration of my Plym, 1997-98, I found that the Mopar people tended to be all hung up on the Hemi engines. I have never been a fan of the Hemi's, they are rather large and not friendly to modern fuels. Ya,,, a Hemi looks cool in full dress with a couple of four barrels atop the manifold, but very impractical..

I also have never had much use for the Mopar 318's, my mother had one, it was a piece of junk.. A company I worked for in the '60/70's had Dodge trucks with 318's and 360's, they never impressed me..

I used a GM Vortec V8, 330 hp with a 700R4 trans.. The engine fit in the car with no alterations to the firewall, etc.. To throw people off, I found some engine decals for a HP 318, funny how proper identification can misled people into thinking an engine is correct..

Edited by blucarsdn

I hate to admit it, I put an SBC in my '39 Plym conv. cpe.. I wanted to keep the car all Mopar, using as many original DCPD parts as I could get my hands on.. The power-train proved to be a big challenge..

When I was planning the restoration of my Plym, 1997-98, I found that the Mopar people tended to be all hung up on the Hemi engines. I have never been a fan of the Hemi's, they are rather large and not friendly to modern fuels. Ya,,, a Hemi looks cool in full dress with a couple of four barrels atop the manifold, but very impractical..

I also have never had much use for the Mopar 318's, my mother had one, it was a piece of junk.. A company I worked for in the '60/70's had Dodge trucks with 318's and 360's, they never impressed me..

I used a GM Vortec V8, 330 hp with a 700R4 trans.. The engine fit in the car with no alterations to the firewall, etc.. To throw people off, I found some engine decals for a HP 318, funny how proper identification can misled people into thinking an engine is correct..

I can tell your a man who likes to think out of the box. Cars should be fun, I've done the numbers matching stuff with my 57 Vette, not near as much fun as the Plymouth and my 52 hardtop.405563307.jpg,139498886.jpg, :D

• 7 years later...