1948 Plymouth Engine Swap???

uglysteve

Hi everyone!

I have a 48 p15 coupe that I'm thinking about swapping a 350 chevy into (i know, i know...) with a 4 or 5 speed. 

It's currently got a 231 buick v6 in it and the motor runs great but its pretty slow. I can get a good running 350 for free from a friend, so i'm thinking about doing it. I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything. has anyone on the board done this swap? I'm assuming I'd have to move the firewall back because that v6 barely fits in there as it is. Just wondering if there are issues with steering linkage clearance and things like that. 

Thanks for any help! 

I've got a 5.3 Chevy in my 48; you'll need to be able to weld so you can fabricate motor mounts and rework the firewall. If you keep the the stock steering box, the motor will have to be offset to the passenger side for clearance. You can replace the stock steering box with a 88-92 Cavalier rack and pinion to avoid this. Fatman Fabrications sells a mounting kit for it.

Hi everyone!

It's currently got a 231 buick v6 in it and the motor runs great but its pretty slow.

How slow is "slow?" ... I'm looking at buying a 1949 Chrysler Windsor coupe minus engine and transmission. I already own a 1992 Pontiac Firebird parts car with a very strong-running 3.1L V6 (231, fuel-injected) and good 700r4 and have given passing consideration to putting that in the Chrysler as an interim measure just to get the car moving under its own power for a couple of years while I work on the rest of it.

I'd rather either go original with a flathead six or stay Mopar with an LA small block V8, but the way this V6 moves a 3,000-pound Firebird, I wouldn't have thought it would be THAT slow in a 3,800-pound Windsor. Not any slower than the original 251 flathead for sure.

Of course, it is a latter-year 231 and fuel-injected, not a "malaise" model late-70s or early '80s with a carburetor.

I'd be interested in knowing more about your driving experiences with that Buick 231 in your '48 P15.

Edited by GlennCraven

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of putting a 327 Tri-Power with a Muncie 4 speed in my 49 coupe. I just finished installing a 57 Chev gas tank, posted here with photo's, and a 56 Chev rear axle. I had to move the engine approx 1" to the passenger side to clear the steering gear. I did not need to modify the firewall, or bulkhead, as it's known now as.

403237804.jpg

Hi everyone!

I have a 48 p15 coupe that I'm thinking about swapping a 350 chevy into (i know, i know...) with a 4 or 5 speed. 

It's currently got a 231 buick v6 in it and the motor runs great but its pretty slow. I can get a good running 350 for free from a friend, so i'm thinking about doing it. I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything. has anyone on the board done this swap? I'm assuming I'd have to move the firewall back because that v6 barely fits in there as it is. Just wondering if there are issues with steering linkage clearance and things like that. 

Thanks for any help! 

All my Chevy friends think I'm nuts to own a Plymouth and all my Plymouth friends know I'm crazy about Installing

a small block Chev, so I thought I'd P--- off the Packard guys too. That what happens when your and old crusty S.O.B.

from the factory. This is the license frame I have on all my cars.

274058924.jpg

:eek:  :D

I like it too!  Those valve covers will get a rush of looky-loos and then the "damn ya got me" comments.  It's great fun.

no..many small engines has lots of power potential and some late model smaller eingines will smoke the SBC but at the cost of interference fit..but, popularity due to these engine laying beside the road where they have fallen out of rusted out bodies, interchangeability especially the cranks for stroking and trannies for fit  4-6-8 and a very short length do to the water pump design...dollar for dollar a Mopar builds more HP than either Ford or Chevy for the same money and will last at the bracket racing strip  average 5 years compared to Ford 3 and Chevy 2 if you are lucky.  Source Summit Racing for these very posted facts..they have proved this argument.....

and to confuse everyone..put in a 318 and have your own SBC (small block Chrysler)

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Yet they are popular, why? Good marketing by the soup-up parts mgrs?

Below! CHEAP! Figures! Maybe put one in my 53 convertible?  :huh:

Edited by pflaming

A 318/360 would be cool too.  No more expensive from a wrecking yard and no more of a challenge to install.  Used speed parts and dress-up items may be a bit more scarce and your peer group will be smaller but, you'll get hero points for putting a Mopar in a Mopar. 

• Like 2

There was an article in Rod and Custom a couple of years ago on putting a hemi in one of these cars. I know, not the same, but as stated above, Re-working the firewall was a large part of the project.

There light weight compared to most V8's, parts are more available, try building a Mopar V8 and see what it costs, if it's an older Hemi you need to have an investment in a gold mine. Plus they just run sweet. But don't listen to me cause I like um'. What's the favorate engine in most old Furds? Ha   

Question: Why is the Chevy SB 350 so popular? Is it a small engine with a lot of potential power?

There light weight compared to most V8's, parts are more available, try building a Mopar V8 and see what it costs, if it's an older Hemi you need to have an investment in a gold mine. Plus they just run sweet. But don't listen to me cause I like um'. What's the favorate engine in most old Furds? Ha   

On the whole you may be right. But as I've noted in other threads, two different magazines have essentially given us the blueprint for building 400-horse 318s for about $1,500. One of the same pubs (Hot Rod) also has an article on an "affordable" 350 Chevy making "around" 400 horsepower for $2,600. ... I've built neither at this point, but it doesn't seem all that much more expensive to build a Mopar small block than a Chevy.

Frankly, I think small-block Chevys are in so many non-Chevy vehicles more because most people aren't very imaginative than any other reason.

Edited by GlennCraven

On the whole you may be right. But as I've noted in other threads, two different magazines have essentially given us the blueprint for building 400-horse 318s for about $1,500. One of the same pubs (Hot Rod) also has an article on an "affordable" 350 Chevy making "around" 400 horsepower for $2,600. ... I've built neither at this point, but it doesn't seem all that much more expensive to build a Mopar small block than a Chevy.

Frankly, I think small-block Chevys are in so many non-Chevy vehicles more because most people aren't very imaginative than any other reason.

The best way to find out for yourself is to call your local machine shop and find out what it will cost baised on different motors. Then you can make a better decesion rather than listening to a bunch of us old farts who have waged this battle for many years. Just ask me what I think of Furds, better still don't. Get something you'll be happy with that's most important, no matter what you choose someone won't like it, but who cares. I still like Nailhead Buicks in a hot rod except they are heavy and don't breath well, but sure look cool.

406974559.jpg

now is that cool or what?

• Like 1

Definitely a cool nailhead.

My uncle's a Ford man. He'll swear -- and probably prove -- that he can make horsepower every bit as affordably as a Chevrolet.

Me, I like 'em all. I'd just prefer to stay in the family when putting a "new" engine in an old car.

Definitely a cool nailhead.

My uncle's a Ford man. He'll swear -- and probably prove -- that he can make horsepower every bit as affordably as a Chevrolet.

Me, I like 'em all. I'd just prefer to stay in the family when putting a "new" engine in an old car.

Don't forget when you talk about family that Chrysler use to work for GM. Enjoy your ride no matter what you choose.

Question: Why is the Chevy SB 350 so popular? Is it a small engine with a lot of potential power?

Let me give you an analogy that most people can relate to.

You see buying/building a small block Chevy vs buying/building a small block Mopar is kind of like the difference between buying a steak at Golden Corral vs buying a steak at Ruth's Chris.

Sure you can buy a "decent" steak (Chevy) at Golden Corral and the condiments like ketchup or A1 (Intakes, Headers, Cams) are cheaper too, but if you want a real premium steak (Mopar) you go to Ruth's Chris. Yes the steak at Ruth's Chris is more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Same with the condiments at Ruth's Chris like blue cheese, grilled onions, or red wine reduction.

Not many people can eat at Ruth's Chris any time they want to, but we all want to be that guy who can, so we settle for Golden Corral. Same goes with running gear, not many of us can buy/build Mopars so we settle for Chevys. :cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting thread for a 'newbe'! I'm gonna stay with my flatheads. Most every time I raise the hood to show the engine the viewer says, "Wow, an old 6 cylinder, neat"!   I just gave it six (6) coats of clear and put it back into the truck. 

Old school is my taste, but not the only "steak" in town. Go to a good butcher shop, buy a good cut of beef, learn how to prepare it and use the "Ruth" money saved to dress up the flathead! 

EngineSideviewDistributor_zps8582a03b.jp

• Like 1