4 Speed Transmission Installation Help

The spring just helps hold the throwout bearing away from the clutch fingers when the clutch pedal is released. Without a functioning spring it's possible for the bearing to contact the clutch fingers and possible spin continously. Where may not be enough be enough friction without it actually being depressed against the fingers to make it actually spin, but it could cause some abnormal wear by allowing it to touch when it shouldn't.

Merle

On the fluid drive 4 speeds it is just possible to remove and replace that spring with the tranny in place and the inspection cover off. Heavy emphasis on just:o  At least I was able too once. Would not want to do it often though. I am not certain if this is possible on the non fluid drive models as I suspect access is slightly different with the other bell housings that were used on the standard trannys.

Jeff

The Spring is available at Vintage Power Wagons for $5.00 (shown upper R.H.). This particular item is better off being OEM spec. than something close. VPW is also the best source I've found for the throwout bearing as well. It doesn't hurt to have a spare. 

http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/

2014-02-06_0901_zps39cf5f7e.png

Hope this helps,

Hank  :)

Edited by HanksB3B

• 2 years later...

Help I can't get my 52 pilothouse 4 speed out.Need help getting the shifter out too. Is there any way other than removing the top cover from trans to remove the shifter? Cut away looks like you have to remove top cover.

Edited by Sparky52Dodge

I pulled the 5 speed in my 2.5 ton w/o removing the shifter when I did the clutch.  My transmission cover came right off and I was able to slide it back enough and lower it with the jack to set it on the floor.   I put it back in that same way with it intact.   On some transmissions, if you just want to remove the lever I believe that the cap (top half of a ball at the bottom of the shift lever) unscrews and you can pop the stick out that way.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I am in the process of my first transmission install after putting on a new clutch,pilot bearing and cleaned up flywheel. These post have given us some insight on how to get the  throw out bearing and spring installed. I did purchase an alignment tool for $8.00. 

Thank to to your post we should attempt it this week on a 1948 B1D