WatchingWolf

I pulled the fuel pump from my 1950 Wayfarer yesterday and discovered that as usual, I don't have what most everyone else does. Instead of the usual Carter fuel pump, my flathead has been purring right along the an Auto-Lite fuel pump. 

A search of this forum (yes I know how to do that) revealed a bunch of posts about the Carter and it's seemingly faulty pin issue. This would lead me to believe that perhaps the Auto-Lite is a better option......if I can find a rebuild kit for it.

There is one on ePay right now, but it would need new seals as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Lite-Mopar-Hammerhead-Style-4001-Military-Passenger-Car-Truck-Fuel-Pump-/200799062591?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec08e8a3f&vxp=mtr

Does anyone know of a source for kits. It is Sunday morning as I post this so calling the usual vendors is out of the question. 

Is there a reason I cant just switch to the Carter that my local NAPA has on the shelf other than the fact that my lines are a bit shorter? (there is enough room to move them into place). 

post-826-0-25748100-1368976587_thumb.jpg

post-826-0-38177100-1368977432_thumb.jpg

post-826-0-78642900-1368977879_thumb.jpg

I'm no expert, but I can't see any reason why you can't use the Carter from NAPA. That's what I would do, then you are back to readily available parts again. I rebuilt my Carter(s). I have two, a spare is nice to have. With the new gas, it's nice to know I can change quickly. 

Thanks for the recommendation to Antique Auto Cellar. I reviewed their site earlier and found a lot of information about the Carter and AC pumps. Nothing on Auto-Lite. I was hoping to find that there was an alternate source (industrial perhaps) where the Auto-Lite was used and available. I looks to be just as I suspected, an oddball part.

I'd get the one from Napa and double check that the pin is staked in good before install. Then give the guys at Antique Auto Parts Cellar a call, or send an email with a pic of your old pump. They'll be able to identify it toot-sweet and tell you which kit you'll need. Get a kit, rebuild your Auto-lite and keep it for a spare.

Merle

Be more likely to think that is a drain to let sediment out of the bottom chamber of the pump, might also be a water drain when back inthe day there seemed to be an issue with leaky ground tanks at gas stations.

So....Napa didn't have the pump after all. I have an email into Antique Auto Cellar. I am curious however if a truck pump will work. I don't need the glass bowl, my vacuum wipers feed off manifold vacuum and I have a ton of exterior clearance. Rock Auto has them for $36. 

In a prior post, Young Ed noted that as long as there is no exterior clearance issue, the angled lever style from the truck will work as a replacement for the straight lever type I removed from my car. It just positions it in a different place on the fuel pump cam. Can anyone confirm this? 

So....Napa didn't have the pump after all. I have an email into Antique Auto Cellar. I am curious however if a truck pump will work. I don't need the glass bowl, my vacuum wipers feed off manifold vacuum and I have a ton of exterior clearance. Rock Auto has them for $36. 

In a prior post, Young Ed noted that as long as there is no exterior clearance issue, the angled lever style from the truck will work as a replacement for the straight lever type I removed from my car. It just positions it in a different place on the fuel pump cam. Can anyone confirm this? 

I thoughtn young Ed already did confirm this

If you want to try a truck pump before purchasing one, you can use my spare/rebuilt one for a test. I have a friend that lives up your way (Butternut) that will be down here this weekend. I could probably send it home with him for you to pick up and try. I'll get it back from you some day down the road. In fact I'm planning a trip up to Ladysmith on my way to Minneapolis for the WPC meet in July. I could probably swing through Prentice on my way.

Merle

Edited by Merle Coggins

After a bit of measuring, I ordered the truck pump. The pump arm is different, but I don't see why it wont work. I'll let everyone know in a few days....the biggest reason? Truck pump $36.95 from Rock Auto, the car pump $89.00 from Rock Auto. $50 is $50 no matter how you save it.

post-826-0-08944300-1369791041_thumb.jpg

Not sure anyone cares, but the early 1950 Dodge Truck fuel pump bolted in with little problem. The most major issue being the fuel lines moving up and out from the motor. The pressure is good and there is no noise from the relocating of the pump arm on the cam.

Antique Auto Cellar was not able to offer a kit for the auto-lite pump, only a custom rebuild. I'll just get an extra truck pump for $36 and be done with it.

Of course I care. Always good to hear confirmation of advice given out being right.

Not sure anyone cares, but the early 1950 Dodge Truck fuel pump bolted in with little problem. The most major issue being the fuel lines moving up and out from the motor. The pressure is good and there is no noise from the relocating of the pump arm on the cam.

Antique Auto Cellar was not able to offer a kit for the auto-lite pump, only a custom rebuild. I'll just get an extra truck pump for $36 and be done with it.