1952 Pilot House On Mecums Auto Auction........

Some serious money, too.   Probably why it didn't sell.  Professionaly done, it brought less than half of what it would cost to build it.   Not quite stock but nicely done.  I see it's been converted to 12 v.

Nice is an understatement regarding looks, but I'd be afraid to drive it. When they are this nice they become 'trophies'. There are some things to my eye that make it on the 'wimpy' side. The wide white walls for starters. 

• Like 1

very nice looking truck!

Nice is an understatement regarding looks, but I'd be afraid to drive it. When they are this nice they become 'trophies'. There are some things to my eye that make it on the 'wimpy' side. The wide white walls for starters. 

I didnt care for the tires either

Why do you guys not like white walls???? I'm starting to feel like i'm alone in this. lol

I LOVE BIG FAT WHITE WALLS!......

I don't like lemon/lime greenish yellow...I like a nice satiney carnary yellow.

I like dual horns and 12v upgrades

I like dual exhaust and an engines that scares the hell out of me (betters my chances at heavan) ...

I like round fenders better than square ones. 

I like the clipped rounded fenders than the longer splash guard fenders

I respect a stock built truck more than a Hot Rodded version like mine (stock takes more patience and research....but I must go fast) 

I also believe the time it takes to research the right part, to track down the right part, and the verification of said parts, is often lost in the

final estimated value of "what we got into it". Not to mention the free stuff we get by way of information, from forums like this, that really under normal conditions we'd have to pay for.

so...34,000 ?  44,000?......heck, why not? :)

48D

Edited by 48dodger
  • Like 1

I think my biggest "ick" is the front clip seal....WAY incorrect and thick.

Like I said it's a nice truck, they did a good job, but the purist in me for a resto hates the things that are just plain wrong for a PH.

A 6v bat in it's correct location, for most people would still be hidden.  To us, it's where it's supposed to be.  Take a look at the tags on the gen and starter, both green which should indicate 12v

If I remember it's:

Auto-Lite 12v = Green (rectangle tag)

Auto-Lite   6v = RED

Delco-Remy 12v = RED  (football shaped tag) 

Delco-Remy   6v = BLACK

So I'm thinkin Dave's correct. 

48D

Edited by 48dodger

Paul;

I'm right there with you on the wide white walls.........it's funny........for some reason when I see them it always makes me think of high maintenance women. :o

On the other hand I kind of like the look of the welt on the nose section. I've actually been wanting to see what that sort of treatment would look like.

Might go nicely with the black accents on my truck............................................................................Mark?       B)

It is a nice truck though.......a truck in similar condition sold locally for around 14K earlier this spring so I am not surprised this one did not sell.

Jeff

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff......WAY too much attention is drawn to that part of the body line with that welting like that IMO...but that's me....to each their own (as long as it's not a ratrod).

Jeff, if I were you, I would have someone photoshop that black line out of that YELLOW truck and compare the look. To me that black line makes the truck look tall and short. Without that line the truck would look much longer. I would also photoshop black wall tires in. I would guess that truck would look 1,000 X's better.  

I would guess not 1 PH truck in 10,000 ever had whitewalls on it back in the 50's. JMHO

The nose seam welt looks like a huge panel gap. I had to literally pry the nose panel off my fenders, it was a tarred seam, not a welt.

Double sided white walls would look better on it, but only with a lowering job and similar traditional kustom touches (visor, fog lights, spot lights, bumper over riders, etc). Mine has standard single side whites going on the factory rims, I like the look, and couldn't beat the price from a car side forum member. Then again, mine is also getting lowered, skirted, possibly visored, spotlights and foglights, fancy side rails...

Something about a basic silver and black engine leaves me cold, especially in a truck with a screaming exterior color.

And to cap it off, it has seat belts. Deal breaker for me, I'd have refused the vehicle if I had bid and won.

I can't fault the workmanship on the truck.  All aspects of the truck as shown look to be well done, including the paper "oilbath " filter.  As far as personal taste goes, the whitewalls would look really good on it if the truck was ( don't laugh) pink, lowered about 3 inches, and had a tastefull skirt treatment done to the rear fenders.  The black welting up front has to go regardless.  It's an eyesore.  It would work better on a dark color.  At the same time I would prefer to see the seam as opposed to molding the grille to the fenders as some have done.  Anybody here who can photoshop it that way?

Paul;

I'm right there with you on the wide white walls.........it's funny........for some reason when I see them it always makes me think of high maintenance women. :o

Jeff

LOL!!! I hear ya... I've never liked WWW on a truck. I think they look good on certain cars, but never on a truck.

Ska-rew you guys.... I'm getting White Wall's for my Bonneville Truck.......

..And yer ALLLLL gettin' frickin'  Christmas cards of my White Walls....

....Cuz y'all have to put it on a shelf and look at'em all month long......

...because its Christmas...and...Christmas is snowy.... 

....like my tires....and... cuz they are cool.

...and your not. lol

48D B)

post-340-0-20184800-1368818861_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Put the Brick on a Christmas card and I'll proudly display it. (after I color in the tires with a marker ;))

EDIT:

LOL!!!... After all of this I found myself staring at a picture of Alan Parkhurt's "Black Beauty" on my 'puter desktop and thought, "Huh... the wide white's look pretty good on this truck..." Must be because it's black.  :huh:

post-31-0-62748500-1368821556_thumb.jpg

(I have all of the truck pictures that I've downloaded from this forum in a folder, and have the background settings of my computer set to scroll through those pictures at random. Every 30 minutes the picture changes to a different truck.)

Edited by Merle Coggins

...and your not. lol

48D B)

Merle:

See ???  I bet they make his truck go at least a 100mph faster..................... just like one of them high maintenance women when they break a nail.......or worse...... when they get a run in their pantyhose :P :P :P

Jeff

...and your not. lol

48D B)

When did it last snow at your place MR cool????

Back in the day 60's, 70's wide whites returned as "gangster walls". I bought a set for my 69 Bonneville along with chrome reversed rims. Installed such and drove around the block. They rubbed the fenders and looked like crap. I returned them never again to own wide whites. I do very much like the skinny whites and have them on my car today.BTW dodger, the gansger walls did nothing for the speed of my car and they will do nothing for the speed of your truck. Kinda like fuzzy dice, better to spend your racing money on something that will work. Smoke-em if you got-em!

12-18-054.jpg