Intro, Me And My Canadian 49 Dodge

bmw2002e3

Hi everyone. Last summer I deviated from the world of vintage BMWs and Mercedes and got my hands on an all original 1949 Canadian model Dodge special deluxe (model d32c). I'm in love. its not nimble, or fast, but its comfortable and has more character than anything. From what I can tell it may not have its original engine, compression and leakdown show this engine is like new, so after replacing the brakes, all rubber lines, some electrical, re-routing the fuel line (vapour lock issues) and just doing general maint work I'm almost ready for summer again.

Here's a pic. It has a new grille, which hasn't been installed yet.

I'm in Calgary, but moving to the Stratford area in Ontario in July. Its sweet to be driving a *real* piece of automotive history, I'm digging this flathead, what a cool, agricultural engine. (I only say that because I got tune up parts from my friend's tractor store).

And it has the 25 inch longer block engine. No idea if its stock Canadian specs or has been bored out. Its painted blue, which I don't think is correct for the engine, and the serial numbers on the engine make no sense. 

On the vin area on the engine are the numbers 24365 on the left part and 3944c or 8944c on the right side. they are in different fonts... 

On the head it says (I'll attach pics) 272, and below that 1327337 (i think)

Near the front of the head by the timing order it says DPCD in a little logo. Not like your american engines from what i've seen.

post-5325-0-48580500-1368640308_thumb.jpg

post-5325-0-74448300-1368641406_thumb.jpg

post-5325-0-93667300-1368641466_thumb.jpg

post-5325-0-85520300-1368641479_thumb.jpg

Thanks. I took to driving this car only at night because I found traffic was such a pain. I got into the brakes over winter and ended up redoing them all. Traffic shouldn't be as much an issue. haha. 

When I move out to ontario I'll be moving to a picturesque little victorian looking town, so lots of pics will be taken.

Looks like a great old bus. Isn't it wonderful how different the driving experience of these old things is from modern cars? I regularly drive at 10 m.p.h. over the speed limit in my daily driver, but find that the speed limits on the two lane rural roads here in southern Vermont that seem so slow are the ideal pace for my '49 D24C. Welcome to the forum and to the cruising season.

post-515-0-99227600-1368659415_thumb.jpg

Edited by frankieflathead

I still need to remove the tape from the for sale sign, and the PO gave me a fresh front grille! :) 

And Frankie, that's so true, the 30/40mph speed limit on some of the country roads are perfect for this old girl, I tried our expressway, and although it'll go 70, it kind of feels like abuse! 

We have taken a number of long trips in out 46 coupe, up 800 miles to Charlotte, NC.  So far the only problem has been a broken fan belt.  Like you I find Interstate driving uncomfortable.  Not so much for the car, but because of the speed disparity with other vehicles. Speed limit here is 65 but as mentioned most add 5 to 10 to that, so even when going at an indicated 65, the difference with "normal traffic" is palpable.  Not to mention texters, phone abusers and those who thing their GPS actually steers their car.  So we take the parallel state highways when we travel.  However, I have come to believe that urban stop and go style traffic is even more stressful to car and occupants than driving the freeway.  So what we do know is to jump on the Interstate to go around or through the city, than back on the state highway outside the city limits.  Again each to his own as far as mechanical and personal comfort level.  I have run some calculator for my tire diameter and rear end ratio and find the at 65 indicated, I am doing 62 on the GPS, and about 3100 rpm.   Since factory peak HP was taken at 3600, that gives me a 500 RPM cushion on being close to over stressing things mechanically.  That said I will echo the above sentiment that 45 to 55/60 seems to be the sweet spot for these old Mopars.  Have fun.

Edited by greg g

no tach just using an online calculator that factors tire diameter, trans ratio and rear end ratio to calc rpm at given road speed or speed per rpm.  There are several.  I use the one on the 4 Lo site.  Its for guys running wierd ratios on their off road trucks ad stuff but it works for my needs.  Tire diameter for stock tires is APX 28.5  trans top gear is 1 to 1, then whatever your rear end ratio. and either ground speed or rpm.