Canadian 49 Dodge Water Pump Question 25 Inch Block

bmw2002e3

So, I've got a 49 Dodge special deluxe up here in Canada.  Canadian car with the longer block.

Of course, just before I move, the water pump went, but the previous owner had a near new one in the trunk. Installed it, and it is too long. Can't put the rad back in with the fan installed!

So, Question I have is, is there a different water pump for the longer block Canadian cars? 

It could be the spare pump that my PO put in the trunk was just the wrong one, maybe from a later model car or something.

Can you install the radiator with the fan removed, and then install the fan?

Don may have the answer for you.  I've changed out the water pump a couple times on my '47 Canadian Dodge long-block with the radiator in place — it was absolutely necessary (for me at least) to take the fan off first. 

I am reading this as such..."the man removed the radiator then removed the fan and water pump on the engine and now has tried to reverse his tear down in the assembly process"  Given that the radiator was able to be removed prior to disassembly of the pump and fan it woul only seem logical it would go back the same way and if not..we have a parts difference.  as the radiator is obviously out of the car yet...you should be able to get a measurement on the pump body and impellor shaft..compare and make the call...I have no experience with the longer blocks..but I do have experience with some model cars that require as stock water pump mount flange be pressed even deeper onto the pump shaft..a procedure require prior to changing uor pay the extra money and get from a specialty supply house with this application already accounted for.,..

me think a few measurements are in order.

Thanks guys, I think that may be the answer. I did this like I do my little BMW which has not enough clearance between the fan and rad to get your fingers in there.. The dodge had the clearance so this may be it.

I will do some measurements when I remove the old pump as well.

Haven't taken a pic yet, however this gentleman shows he ran into the same issue as I did.

His pic shows the pump on the right being longer, which is the same as my spare pump, it differs slightly from the original on the car in that there's a threaded tube on the pump instead of the little bolt on thing.

Anyway, question answered, the gates pump is the same as the original on my car, so I've ordered that.

http://mopar.pairserver.com/p15d24ph_forum/topic/28411-48-desoto-project-thread/page-2

post-5325-0-39687700-1368667301_thumb.jpg