10W Oil In A Gyromatic, Trouble Finding 10W, Need Help

grassfiddler

After 18 months of dreaming and looking at the old Dodge in the drive way, I have finally been able to get it road worthy. It's no longer yard art but a functioning, driving automobile. It now even sports a brand new state of Tennesse license plate on it's tail end. There is however one last thing for me to do to it to enjoy it for the summer and that's to change out the fluids. The tranny is the M6 "gyromatic". My shop manuel is calling for 10W oil. My delema is that every where I call they not only do not carry 10W nor can they get it. So I'm now asking the help of those who may know. Where can I find 10W???? And is there an alternative lubricant that I could use??? Please enlighten me on any info you all may have on lubricants as I am willing to learn. The car is running and shifting really well so I don't want to compromise any of the hard work I have put into the car. Thanks for any info you all can bring my way.

First you need to identify which oil you want to change the fluid drive fluid, which I wouldn't fool with unless thee is a kown problem, the the hydraulic fluid will do the trick.  For the transmission it self 10w is the thing.  Have you tried a place like tractor supply company or similar in your area.  they usually have stuff for old tractors as there are plenty still in service.   Here is a link to Amazon featuring case lots of Kendall.   http://www.amazon.com/Kendall-1042767-Non-Detergent-SAE-Motor/dp/B004RNSUA8

Thanks for the replys. I had called Napa, Carquest, O'Riellys, Advanced, and Autozone. Nobody has it or can get it. Could also be that people I was dealing with don't really know much about such oil because it's not common anymore. I haven't checked Tractor Supply yet. I was there yesterday to buy a 6 volt battery and didn't think about checking to see if they had 10W. I'll look for it the next time I'm there. I'll also check out the link from greg g.

I noticed wayfarerstranger said to use the universal tractor hydraulic fluid. My question is, are we talking about using it in the tranny, fluid drive, or both???

All you need is 3 pints...for the tansmission.  PM me your address and I will buy some from my NAPA and send it to you.

The Fluid drive is different.  I picked up some great Gyromatic info I can pass along.  Let me know.

post-4523-0-38980400-1368585722_thumb.jpg

Edited by 54Illinois

Thanks to everyone who replied! Today I decided to call O'Rielly's one more time. This time I talked to someone differnt. When I told her what I was looking for, she said," yeah I think we have that, let me check." About a minute later she came back and said that she has 7 quarts on hand. Someone else in town with an older car needed some so they ordered a bunch for him and there were a few quarts left over. Every store I called didn't have it or could get it. So it's lesson learned, it's all in who you get on the phone, there knowledge, and how willing they are to help you. So thanks to all of you and Barbra at the store I am now one step closer to having the car on the road for the summer! Can't wait to get it out on the road.

• Like 1

I have been running 5W-20 in the transmission and the Universal Tractor fluid in the fluid drive of my 1948 Desoto.  I average 5k miles a year and have put on 15k miles with no problems with this oil.  I had straight 10W in the transmission in the beginning, but it would take a while to warm up before she would clunk into 2nd or 4th especially on the cold days.  She seems to like the modern multi weight oil better.

I have been running 5W-20 in the transmission and the Universal Tractor fluid in the fluid drive of my 1948 Desoto.  I average 5k miles a year and have put on 15k miles with no problems with this oil.  I had straight 10W in the transmission in the beginning, but it would take a while to warm up before she would clunk into 2nd or 4th especially on the cold days.  She seems to like the modern multi weight oil better.

Thanks for letting me know. I was curious to know if there was an alternative to SAE 10W. I actually have some 5W-20  here at the house. My wifes Saturn uses that same weight. I like knowing the "alternatives" that work in these old cars as some of the things we need to keep them running are starting to get scarce.

I have run 20W in many of them . No issues..

Bob

I just spotted Heavy Duty Tractor Trans and 303 Rated Trans Oils at Walmart in Wisconsin yesterday. about $40 for 5 gallons. Buy a pail and split it with your friends. (for the Fluid Couple) 10 weight non detergent was on the shelf for about $3 a quart.

Edited by WatchingWolf