Stovebolt T5 Trans Adapter

I am looking into swapping out my 47 dodge trk 3spd for a 5spd T5 trans with the stovebolt adapter. I wanted to know which trans to use and if there is any modifications needed like redrilling the bell housing. I was looking into an early model S10 5spd with speedo cable. Thanks, Greg

• Like 1

GM (S-10, Camaro, firebird, Astro Van) T-5's are getting harder to find these days. With a GM case you can bolt directly to the bell housing after drilling new holes. A 3-speed bell housing is preferred; with a 4-speed housing you have to fill holes with weld and re tap, which is very difficult.

You can use a Ford T-5 too and there's an adapter plate made for this: http://home.comcast.net/~tcbass/t5.html  But the GM case is a cleaner way to go.

Yes he did. They recommended 83-87 s10 with v6 engine. The trans that my friend had wasn't a s10 trans, the shifter mount was at the end of the tail shaft so the search goes on. I read an article that you can convert the electronic speedometer drive to the cable drive. Has anyone here did it? thanks

With mounts on the bellhousing, theoretically you don't have to.  All the ears on the trans is supporting is the  weight of the trans itself.  Technically, it wouldn't be a bad idea and would need a mount similar in compound to the bellhousing mounts, meaning if there's rubber on the bellhousing and front engine mount, you can't mount the trans solid.  It has to give a bit also.

Just did the conversionin 50 Dodge.  Older Style for speedo cable, also 6 cylinder trans is preferred.  I ended up buying two of them 1 for $50.00 on valentines day off of craigs list, 2 Rebuilt from Stovebolt

On my install I did have to trim the lower ears and re-drill the mounting holes. I also had to slightly modify the lower bottom end of the transmission case to clear the crossmember, The transmission to the left in the pictures below show the before and after case modifications.

bob1.jpg

fronts.jpg

frontsafter.jpg

Trucks don't have a crossmember at the bellhousing. There is one right behind the transmission. I believe for 39-47s you will find that it does not clear and needs to be modified by increasing the arch in the center.

You can use the stock pressure plate and cover, just need to get a disk to fit the splines of the input shaft. Mine happened to be a Ford input (and gears), which was 10 spline, 1-1/6". The original was 11" dia. I simply called up Tennessee Clutch and told them what I needed. I think GM inputs are 16 spline? That's a guess - count 'em! You'll need a custom pilot bushing too.

If finding a 10" disc to fit your splines poses a problem (I'm sure it won't), another option is to have a new hub pressed into your original disk - this can only be accomplished by a highly specialized clutch shop though.

• Like 1

I believe I put a car clutch setup in mine which was just slightly over the GM clutch disk that came with the T5. I think my pressure plate setup is a 9.5.

Time to re-post this true story. 

I will never forget my visit to Tennessee Clutch. I walked in and found dirt/grease lumps on the floor and 3-4 guys sitting around a pot bellied heater drinking coffee although the stale grease burnt clutch stench out weighed the coffee smell. One fat guy sitting on a stool with a cigar stub and drool hanging out of his mouth asked me what I wanted. I thought I was had! The front office was not an office but looked more like something that you would find in the deliverance movie with no banjo playing. I once again thought I was had! I told the fat guy I wanted my pressure plate re-worked and I plopped it down on the counter. Again I thought I was had and this fat guy would rape my old fat punk butt. The fat guy hollered to the back of the shop and some young kid appeared, grabbed my pressure plate, and disappeared. The fat guy told me it would be an hour so I disappeared out the door before something dreadful happened.

An hour later I returned. The kid plopped my rebuilt pressure plate down and he once again diappeared to the back of the shop. There was a girl behind the counter this time although the drolling fat cigar smooking guy was still there and very much in charge. I told the girl I needed a clutch disc just like the one I plopped down on the counter. She disappeared into the rack of shelves and I once again thought I was had by the drooling fat cigar smoking guy. She plopped the required disk on the counter and I shook as I asked the dredded question "how much"?

She told me something less that one hundred dollars for the whole deal. I about fell off my stool but I know that if I had done so the fat drooling cigar smoking guy would have had his way with me. I then got brave and said I needed a pilot bushing even though I did not need one. She produced the bushing for me and I asked "how much"? She said no charge. Then I really got really balsy. I told her I want two bushings knowing the fat cigar smoking droller was still there.

This is a true story and I am glad so many forum members got satisfaction from what has proven to be a great vendor.

• Like 1